Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 06:03:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689311
  • Total Topics: 118272
  • Online Today: 605
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: 13th century Danish Crusader army  (Read 14090 times)

Offline Engel

• Mastermind
Re: 13th century Danish Crusader army
« Reply #45 on: June 01, 2018, 09:00:25 AM »
Excellent!

Im loving this thread

Offline Knight-Captain Tyr

• Mad Scientist
  • Journal Keeper
« Reply #46 on: June 04, 2018, 10:39:36 AM »
Truly great stuff. I absolutely love the weathered, gritty look your figures have.
" ... the seventh wave of Thrall stumbled and climbed over the slippery, piled dead and Mazzarin saw The Watcher with them and at last knew the number of his days."

-Thrall Flavor Text, Myth: The Fallen Lords

Offline Erik

• Scientist
« Reply #47 on: June 09, 2018, 07:02:26 PM »
In order to give our troops some combat experience, I dug out my old Mighty Empires game and set up a map to resemble a coastline with two cities for the crusader and some interior with rivers, forest and some mountains for the pagans. The first battles have been river crossing and this week was no different. The pagans attack toward the crusader main settlement (Tallin en spe). The forces were almost evenly matched with 100 points for the Crusaders and 120 for the pagans (we use To the Strongest were recommended force size are from 100-160 points).

The crusaders have taken up position along the river and are dead set on defending their supply of ale!

The Hvide boys charge across the river to give extra time for the infantry to whittle down the advancing pagans.

The lines close but the archers and crossbowmen fail to make an effect.

So Johannes Ebbesen steppes up and gives them proper encouragement

It works and an entire Warband of pagan warriors is destroyed (normally disordering the enemy is the main objective for missile troops)

However, the overeager knights have ground to a complete hold and are surrounded by the pagan warrior. Many are killed and the rest flee back across the river.

in spite of the success of the missile troops it's not enough and with the knight running the pagans reach the river bank all along the battle line. Some of them start making it across the river and the Danes are soon routed from the field.

For those of you who haven't tried it To the Strongest is well worth a go. its fast and clean and gives good results. We actually played two games that night and had time to move on the Mighty Empires board in between.

I hope to have my last knight ready for this thread in a couple of day and then I might also post a picture of the army so fare.

Cheers
Erik

Offline Dr. Zombie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #48 on: June 11, 2018, 05:51:48 PM »
Great pictures and write up.

I am really liking the “To the strongest” rules. You can have two big battles with big armies in one evening. What’s not to like.

I am looking forward to the class photo of your army.

Offline Erik

• Scientist
« Reply #49 on: May 12, 2019, 08:10:56 PM »
As mentioned at the beginning of this thread, it is all about the 800th year anniversary of the Danish flag Dannebrog this year in June. We have been working on a scenario to refight the battle of Lyndanisse in Estonia when Dannebrog allegedly fell from the sky and inspired the Danish crusaders to turn a disastrous battle into a crushing victory. It's a Lions Rampant based scenario for four players. The Estonian players will try to burn as much of the Danish camp, half-finished castle and village as possible and the Danes have to stop them. The turn sequence is random with each player having two goes pr. turn. This gives a really great dynamic that we have used many times before. Combined with Dr. Zombies special event card, no two games are ever the same.

In our latest game, the Estonias both decided to go straight for the lower part of the Danish castle. The random turn sequence game then a good head start and Danes didn't have time to stop them before they were in the castle courtyard,  burning buildings. The few Danish levies stationed to guard the castle retreated to the tower to at least try to defend that.

This was our third game and we all agreed the scenario is ready for the refight Valdemarsday 15th June. Here are some pictures of the games.

Cheers
Erik

Offline Dr. Zombie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #50 on: May 13, 2019, 08:41:33 AM »
Great pictures of a great game.

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project