Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 02:11:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Post-apocalyptic marketplace project  (Read 12690 times)

Offline James Holloway

• Mad Scientist
Post-apocalyptic marketplace project
« on: January 07, 2017, 04:19:47 PM »
For absolutely no reason, I decided over the holidays that I wanted to make a post-apocalyptic marketplace. Now, I don't have a lot of storage space, so this is going to have to take the form of several different scenery pieces. I started out by making some vendors' tables.

There are four so far, each of them with a different theme: weapons, adventuring supplies, food and technology. The poles at the back of three of them are going to hold up signs advertising the booth.

This was also an excuse to paint up a bunch of civilian characters. There are still more of these to do, but here's a start:

This guy is the merchant of the adventuring supplies stand, I think. He's a model I got from Ramshackle Games, possibly as a free miscast.

This Gnomad is going to be the gun seller, I think. He has a couple of armed buddies I painted back in 2015, so maybe they'll be his guards. I have a few left, so I might use some floral wire to make one of them a guy holding a sign advertising the booth.

Rusty runs the technology booth and is prone to rhapsodizing about his priceless an-ti-kyoos, each of them a technomological marvel of the world that's gone.

The Reverend hangs around the marketplace, telling people about the miracles of the Robot Messiah. His staff is topped by the relic of a cybermartyr.

I think I'm also going to do some animal cages, maybe a gate, some warning signs ... what else should be in a post-apocalyptic bazaar? All suggestions gratefully welcomed.

Offline Ahistorian

• Mad Scientist
    • A-Historical Wargaming
Re: Post-apocalyptic marketplace project
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2017, 06:42:48 PM »
I look forward to the animal cages! My 15mm bazaar so far has a few traders' trucks, a mountebank's caravan, several weapons vendors and a "clean" water stand.

Offline James Holloway

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2017, 07:06:27 PM »
I am definitely going to do a water vendor. I was thinking of the "H2BrO" robot from Wasteman.

I should sort through my toy-car drawer and see if I have a suitable truck for things to be sold off the back of, that's a good idea ...

Offline Ramshackle_Curtis

• Mastermind
    • http://www.ramshacklegames.co.uk/
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2017, 11:06:02 PM »
Yeah, some cups for the water seller's stand too. You can make them really easily. Cut some plastic tube, then make a handle from wire by bending it around the tip of your pliers. Drill holes for the wire in your tube-cup and voila! If they are on a table you dont even need to do a bottom.

Also I would suggest a collapsible (for easy storage) stage for selling slaves on (or doing shows), with relevant signage.

Here is my Water Baron, but no cups.

Offline James Holloway

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2017, 11:36:43 PM »
I do admire that water cart. A stage is a good idea; it can do double duty as a place for my Goffik Rokker band to perform.

Offline James Holloway

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2017, 10:04:49 AM »
I am going through my post-apocalyptic collection at the moment; I have some guys who will serve well in the marketplace.

Offline James Holloway

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2017, 01:16:41 PM »
I finished the H2BrO, who will be the water seller in my marketplace!

Offline Manchu

• Mad Scientist
    • Life on Jasoom?
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2017, 04:51:19 AM »
Do not become addicted to water, James Holloway. It will take hold of you and you will resent its absence.

Lovely work!

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • All to all, by my mustard!
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2017, 06:06:25 AM »
Careful - I started with a small marketplace and ended up with a bloody town market to rival any bazaar...

"There is no known cure for the wargaming virus, only treatments with ever increasing doses of metal."

Offline dinohunterpoa

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Everything is Better with Vampire Supermodels
    • Isla de Santa Biscaya
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2017, 05:40:18 AM »

AWESOME! Congratulations!!!  :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*

Now you need some neo-barbarians in vehicles to raid it! ;)
"Because life is made of inspiration, dreaming and insanity in about equal measure."
- Erzsébet Báthory - 1560-1614 (?)

Offline James Holloway

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2017, 05:53:33 PM »
Sinewgrab, your marketplace is a big inspiration -- well, I could say that about a lot of your PA terrain!

Offline dinohunterpoa

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Everything is Better with Vampire Supermodels
    • Isla de Santa Biscaya
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2017, 04:16:47 PM »
That water cart is PRICELESS, CONGRATULATIONS! Looking forward to see it painted!  ;)

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • All to all, by my mustard!
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2017, 01:39:56 AM »
Sinewgrab, your marketplace is a big inspiration -- well, I could say that about a lot of your PA terrain!

Really?  I will take that compliment - I sometimes wonder if I have been putting stuff up for too long, as no-one comments anymore. I just became passe...

Offline Suber

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2017, 10:51:11 AM »
Wow, please don't stop posting this stuff, it's gorgeous! I can steal get inspiration for some ideas too! :-*

Offline chickenbane

• Scientist
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2017, 11:01:23 AM »
There are some brilliant ideas in this thread. looking forward to it progressing and me getting inspired from it!
Paraquat Welcomes Careful Drivers a sort of narrative blog.

Slag Valley Bullett in the grim darkness of the far future, there is a newspaper.