Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 09:23:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690618
  • Total Topics: 118340
  • Online Today: 866
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Taboo  (Read 6592 times)

Offline ballistic_bro

• Scientist
Re: Taboo
« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2017, 09:49:45 AM »
I loved it, thought the battle at the end was well played out and look forward to the next series, I hear there may be 2 more.  8)

I have a use for you.............

Offline wulfgar22

• Mad Scientist
    • My Blog
« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2017, 03:22:10 PM »
We watched the first episode and got drawn in to the story, but after watching the second episode we've lost interest.  

Similiar story for us...though we managed to get to episode 4 before we gave up. Looked great but felt it was style over substance.

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2017, 03:42:41 PM »
Tom Hardy's hat was certainly the star of the piece, in the episodes I watched before I gave up on it. Much like Sam Elliott's moustache does, it stole every scene it was in. I didn't mind the mumbling. I'm a big Tom Hardy fan, and the way he mumbled through Fury Road was delightful. Bonus points for Charlie Chaplin's granddaughter. I'll watch just about any old rubbish she's in. There's just something about her.

But I gave up after a bit. The somewhat wonky history was the first nail in the coffin (please read some George MacDonald Fraser for hints on how to insert your fiction into real historical events). I could have got over that, but I found I just didn't care enough about what was going on to keep watching.

With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2017, 05:18:04 PM »
Tom Hardy's hat was certainly the star of the piece, in the episodes I watched before I gave up on it. Much like Sam Elliott's moustache does, it stole every scene it was in. I didn't mind the mumbling. I'm a big Tom Hardy fan, and the way he mumbled through Fury Road was delightful. Bonus points for Charlie Chaplin's granddaughter. I'll watch just about any old rubbish she's in. There's just something about her.

But I gave up after a bit. The somewhat wonky history was the first nail in the coffin (please read some George MacDonald Fraser for hints on how to insert your fiction into real historical events). I could have got over that, but I found I just didn't care enough about what was going on to keep watching.

Oona Chaaaplin.  :-*

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2017, 06:03:06 PM »
Totally agree on that hat, followed by the coat, I really want them, they both performed admirably too all the way through the show :D

Offline MGH

• Scientist
« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2017, 04:43:55 PM »
I caught the series on FXX and I really enjoyed it. Keep my attention throughout and I'm the guy who often starts on a series then loses interest early.

Offline flags_of_war

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Flags of War
« Reply #36 on: March 16, 2017, 01:36:12 PM »
Finished it last night and i really enjoyed it. I like Hardy who made the show, and i liked the drama of how he played everyone. Good little fight scene at the end and I'm really interetsed to know where it goes now.

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #37 on: March 16, 2017, 02:02:57 PM »
Finished it last night and i really enjoyed it. I like Hardy who made the show, and i liked the drama of how he played everyone. Good little fight scene at the end and I'm really interetsed to know where it goes now.

Looks like the Beeb has confirmed season two will go ahead. :)
I read somewhere Hardy had planned it to be a three season show, so fingers crossed. ;D
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline dadlamassu

• Mastermind
    • http://www.morvalearth.co.uk
« Reply #38 on: March 16, 2017, 08:05:00 PM »
Started watching it but the mumbling meant I had to rely on subtitles and often missed what was happening so gave it up.  Aside from that I really did not care about any of the characters as they all seemed the standard stereotypes.  Fat corrupt industry and ruthless evil chap from a dysfunctional family who hates everyone and is a thoroughly bad egg.  Incompetent army and a historical setting that seemed to jump about.

I must have stopped watching before anything to warrant the title "Taboo" happened. 
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.'
-- Xenophon, The Anabasis

Offline supervike

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • supervike's stuff
« Reply #39 on: March 17, 2017, 12:57:01 AM »
We watched it weekly on the FX network.  Very enjoyable show.  It was a slow build in the middle episodes, but the finale was well worth it.

Tom Hardy is a fantastic actor, especially if you want 'quiet menace'.

Offline tjgreenway

• Bookworm
« Reply #40 on: March 17, 2017, 05:05:57 AM »
Sought this out on recommendations from here and thoroughly enjoyed it. Damn fine performance from Hardy and some nice little twists along the way, great finale too - no doubt it won't be plain sailing ahead, so looking forward to a second season and no doubt another eight hour viewing session  lol

Offline Flashman14

• Scientist
    • One of My Men Became Restless
« Reply #41 on: April 09, 2017, 12:58:55 PM »
Finished series one yesterday - not sure how gameable it all is. And Regency era minis are still few and far between though it's gotten better in recent years - there is no suitable Tom Hardy figure..

Hardy is great in this. Franka Potente - didn't she just play this exact same role in Penny Dreadful? And you could have slipped in Billie Piper for the Lorna Bow role and nobody would have noticed. Her character comes out the worst in terms of development - extraordinary start that just fizzles away.  Prycs as always, chews it up as does Mark Gatiss as George - both tremendous fun to watch.

All said - very well done but imperfect. Easily a visual masterpiece - nice lighting and compositions.
"One of My Men Became Restless" focuses on 15mm Horse & Musket periods and 25mm Horse & Musket, Fantasy, Horror and Victorian everything! Occasionally there'll be stuff of related interest but it's mostly a painters blog.  See it all here: http://flashman14.blogspot.com/