Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:53:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686592
  • Total Topics: 118109
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The Horrid Dead (Mantic's TWD)  (Read 24791 times)

Offline Sbloom141

• Librarian
Re: The Horrid Dead (Mantic's TWD)
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2017, 04:53:12 PM »
Those trees look spot on, did you make them from scratch or are they bought? I've struggled to find decent 28mm trees!

Offline horridperson

• Mad Scientist
  • Doing the Will of The Horned Cat
    • Void Spaces
« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2017, 08:30:15 PM »
@Sbloom141
The armature is one of the plastic Woodland Scenics and the foilage is the same.  The best description would probably be hand built rather than home made or scratch built.  I plugged the clumps of foilage on piece by piece.  It was time consuming but I was happy with the naturalistic result.

edit:  I just compiled the scenery entry on my blog if anyone wants the longer commentary along with the pics
« Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 05:10:57 AM by horridperson »

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #32 on: February 09, 2017, 01:03:43 PM »
It's been a long time since I've seen a new game get as much love at TWD, and your take on it is as inspiring as they come!

I hope that my wife and the kids get me the Prelude to Woodbury set for my upcoming birthday, so I can start getting into the game (I skipped the KS, as I have far too much stuff sitting on shelves and in boxes from previous ones), as it sounds like everybody is enjoying the mechanics of the system, and I really need to get som solo-gaming going, as adulthood leaves far too few opportunities for meeting up with gaming buddies.

What is your feeling regarding walkers count? Will the relatively limited number provided by the box be sufficient, or is it recommendable to have a good si'zed reserve pool when playing? I have a LOT of WGF plastic zeds that needs to get assembled and painted, so I can easily get a lot more ready, but I don't know if they'll be needed (I know they will for Dead walk Again, which is one of my Z-games of choice, and perhaps I should just get dug in...).
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline rwwin

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #33 on: February 09, 2017, 04:26:32 PM »
Don't be intimidated by diecasts.  They are a huge canvas compared to minis so they paint quick as long as you don't use them as a canvas to demonstrate your freehand skill.  I kept mine as straightforward as I could

The freehand looks great to me.  If you want to make it a little simpler next time,  there are plenty of decals available for the 1/43 crown vic to make just about any police jurisdiction you want!

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=1%2F43+police+decals&_sop=15

Offline dinohunterpoa

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Everything is Better with Vampire Supermodels
    • Isla de Santa Biscaya
« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2017, 04:50:16 PM »
The freehand looks great to me.  If you want to make it a little simpler next time,  there are plenty of decals available for the 1/43 crown vic to make just about any police jurisdiction you want!

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=1%2F43+police+decals&_sop=15

rwwinm, that's a great find! Thank you very much! ;)
"Because life is made of inspiration, dreaming and insanity in about equal measure."
- Erzsébet Báthory - 1560-1614 (?)

Offline Treebeard

• Mad Scientist
  • Lazy French Painter
    • Painting Log
« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2017, 05:01:55 PM »
Great project so far. Inspiring for me since I'm following your tracks.

Offline horridperson

• Mad Scientist
    • Void Spaces
« Reply #36 on: February 13, 2017, 07:12:04 AM »
I posted a rust tutorial that isn't precisely TWD but it could be helpful for any zombie or PA setting.  It explains how I rusted up the chev pick up featured in some of the pics in the thread.    http://horridvoidspace.blogspot.ca/2017/02/tutorial-simple-rust-effects.html

Offline dinohunterpoa

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Isla de Santa Biscaya
« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2017, 08:02:33 AM »
I posted a rust tutorial that isn't precisely TWD but it could be helpful for any zombie or PA setting.  It explains how I rusted up the chev pick up featured in some of the pics in the thread.    http://horridvoidspace.blogspot.ca/2017/02/tutorial-simple-rust-effects.html

Great tutorial, thank you very much for sharing! ;)

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #38 on: February 13, 2017, 05:28:58 PM »
Interesting tutorial, thanks for posting it.

On the zombie count, I thought you had as many walker's in points as you have humans per side, that sets the pool size. If event results want more walker's to come on than the ones currently off table, the the excess is lost.

If you play using more than just Brian, or replace him with other characters, you might need more.

You may want more dice, as in one game Brian got mobbed and I did need more dice (I had to write down the results and then roll the dice again for the walkers).

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #39 on: February 13, 2017, 05:43:53 PM »
Interesting tutorial, thanks for posting it.

On the zombie count, I thought you had as many walker's in points as you have humans per side, that sets the pool size. If event results want more walker's to come on than the ones currently off table, the the excess is lost.

If you play using more than just Brian, or replace him with other characters, you might need more.

You may want more dice, as in one game Brian got mobbed and I did need more dice (I had to write down the results and then roll the dice again for the walkers).

OK, I should be fine, then - have quite a few zeds that could be used right away.

Offline horridperson

• Mad Scientist
    • Void Spaces
« Reply #40 on: February 13, 2017, 09:15:00 PM »
I don't have the starter but hope to get one soon Argonor.  The solo set counterbalances Blake with 5 walkers.  The someday Governor rolls in at 35 points so two walkers almost match him in points.  The core set provides 12 walkers against the two small survivor forces.

I think the zombie level is OK for games but it isn't going to adequately cover events sending things to hell in a handbasket.  It covers the bases but you are going to have to dig into your collection of zombies or invest in boosters to make less than basic scenarios work.  I've come to expect less from most starter sets I've had in the past so I'm OK with this.  As for dice it's the same as zombies.  If things escalate the basic sets don't have the resources.  Once Prelude arrives I'll have the dice included to add to the pool from my core set and think I should be ready for move events barring a full on herd of walkers :) .

Offline horridperson

• Mad Scientist
    • Void Spaces
« Reply #41 on: February 14, 2017, 08:03:30 PM »
I completed some utility poles for the board.  Hope to have a tutorial posted soon.

Offline dinohunterpoa

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Isla de Santa Biscaya
« Reply #42 on: February 14, 2017, 08:14:13 PM »
OK, I should be fine, then - have quite a few zeds that could be used right away.

Argonor, have you seen the free rules?  http://www.manticgames.com/SiteData/Root/File/FREE%20RULES/TWD%20Quick%20Start%20Guide.pdf  ;)

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #43 on: February 14, 2017, 08:57:17 PM »
Argonor, have you seen the free rules?  http://www.manticgames.com/SiteData/Root/File/FREE%20RULES/TWD%20Quick%20Start%20Guide.pdf  ;)

Yes, I downloaded and read them a couple of days ago, thanks.

If I don't get the Prelude to Woodbury set for my upcoming birthday, I may use my hobby budget for March to get it. Alternatively, I might save it up for April, and get the Versatiles Dark City bundle, first (I have plenty to paint, so I may want to postpone purchasing anything with minis in it... I really need to reduce that backlog!)

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
« Reply #44 on: February 15, 2017, 07:18:13 AM »
Honestly I would skip the Prelude box and just get the base set. It gives way more stuff for a bit more. And the base set also explains how to use these rules in solo mode. They only lack the scenarios. The main drawback of the Prelude box is that it contains only 1 survivor to play.

@horridperson: those utility poles are awesome! Must have these too...are they well balanced? Often such objects topple so quickly, which can be annoying. Looking forwards to your tutorial 8)
“What use was time to those who'd soon achieve Digital Immortality?”