Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 03:29:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690587
  • Total Topics: 118338
  • Online Today: 822
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Is it time to change the 5 mini minimum rule?  (Read 25815 times)

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
Is it time to change the 5 mini minimum rule?
« on: January 09, 2017, 01:34:44 PM »
Hey guys and gals!

Just wondering if this rule needs to be revised. There have been tons of new minis released in the last few years which cater to more veteran painters and skirmish/board gaming. For folks who like this format, 5 minis per week is just too much work to ask folks to do and enter the league.

Was wondering if perhaps 3 new minis per week is a more realistic goal, one that would encourage more folks to participate in.

Offline gnomehome

• Mad Scientist
Re: Is it time to change the 5 mini minimum rule?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2017, 02:11:43 PM »
Hey guys and gals!

Just wondering if this rule needs to be revised. There have been tons of new minis released in the last few years which cater to more veteran painters and skirmish/board gaming. For folks who like this format, 5 minis per week is just too much work to ask folks to do and enter the league.

Was wondering if perhaps 3 new minis per week is a more realistic goal, one that would encourage more folks to participate in.
The number of miniatures needed per entry was not a factor for me in deciding to participate or not. When I entered I did use miniatures which were painted some time in advance (could be from january of the same year)and not the week before the entry was due.
I like my games like my orange juice: pulpy with no added sugar or artificial sweeteners

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2017, 02:48:57 PM »
When I entered I did use miniatures which were painted some time in advance (could be from january of the same year)and not the week before the entry was due.

Indeed,

That is another reason for reconsidering the number of minis required to participate in the league. My feeling is that a number of people paint minis far in advance of the actual league IOT participate.

If folks "hold back" minis and save them for the League it means that they will not be posting their work on the normal forums during the year. This actually hurts the general forums, which is the real meat of the site. To be quite honest, the overall quality of miniatures on the normal forums is now fairly low. Granted there is some really nice stuff here, but it's just getting tougher to find it.

I have participated in 2 leagues and there is absolutely no way that I can ever see me participating in the future because the miniatures I now paint would not allow me to "paint and participate." The only way I could do so would be to pretty much start preparing many months in advance.

There are a also a number of folks on the forums who are wonderful painters, but never participate. You see them painting things like Infinity miniatures. These kinds of minis require lots of time. For them to paint 60+ miniatures for the league, I believe, is a major inhibitor from joining.

I would think also, size should be a consideration. Look at this miniature:

Granted, the guy is probably a professional painter, but if I wanted to paint this miniature and also have to have 4 others to go with it... well, that's just impossible.

Offline LeadAsbestos

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • When the Hurlyburly's Done...
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2017, 04:27:11 PM »
The League, back in the day, was designed to get folks painting their minis at every skill level, not for showing off masterpieces. This is an unfortunate by-product of all the talent around here.  :)

Offline Thargor

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2017, 10:29:08 PM »
No.

Offline syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2017, 03:59:38 AM »
I don't compete in the LPL as my skill level in painting as well as photography just isn't up to the challenge.  Three versus five miniatures wouldn't matter to me.
2024: B: 2220; P: 148; 2023: B:77; P:37;

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2017, 11:56:22 AM »
The League, back in the day, was designed to get folks painting their minis at every skill level, not for showing off masterpieces. This is an unfortunate by-product of all the talent around here.  :)

Back in the day, it was to spur folks to paint lots of minis for their armies. I love armies. But I also like skirmish and the league doesn't support that given the hobby's expanding scope.

And yes, it does highlight masterpieces... from folks who prepare for the league from day 1 after the ending of the last league.

Back in the day, it was suppose to be a painting challenge.

I posted this just as a thought. Perhaps the organizers can think about it a bit. Given the multitude of different games, greater detailing in miniatures and more complex miniatures available at differing scales (Mythic Battles for example has many minis far larger than 28mm) an adjustment here or there might be appropriate.

Having 3 minis as a minimum might yield unexpected results, even if it was for only a couple rounds.

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2017, 12:12:33 PM »
Indeed,

That is another reason for reconsidering the number of minis required to participate in the league. My feeling is that a number of people paint minis far in advance of the actual league IOT participate.

If folks "hold back" minis and save them for the League it means that they will not be posting their work on the normal forums during the year. This actually hurts the general forums, which is the real meat of the site. To be quite honest, the overall quality of miniatures on the normal forums is now fairly low. Granted there is some really nice stuff here, but it's just getting tougher to find it.

I have participated in 2 leagues and there is absolutely no way that I can ever see me participating in the future because the miniatures I now paint would not allow me to "paint and participate." The only way I could do so would be to pretty much start preparing many months in advance.

For me that was one of the reasons I didn't join a second LPL. I love eye candy, but it's weird to see entries which were probably finished in a week 'compete' with stuff that was completed in advance. Sure, some of the photos were mind blowingly good, but for challenges as these I prefer to see stuff done during the competition.
But nonetheless I watch all entries every year, enjoy them immensely and vote for my favorite. So I'm still a fan of the LPL, but not one who joins in anymore :)
“What use was time to those who'd soon achieve Digital Immortality?”

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2017, 12:46:58 PM »
No, although I think the LPL does have problems with its current format the minimum of 5 figures is a good thing.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2017, 05:41:11 PM »
I think it's a case of horses for courses. The Prof's original idea for the LPL was to encourage painting and sharing of small groups of gaming figures -precisely because there were already various CMON style outlets, painting competitions and showcases for single figures painted to masterpiece standards. But not for small units painted to wargames standards (and we all have different ideas of what constitutes wargames tabletop standards, but I certainly don't see any CMON type painting in the LPL) designed to take part in skirmish level 'Lead Adventure' style games. Hence the format.

We also have the painting clubs for people who are happier painting one figure at a time. Different, non-competitive format, true, but still an LAF organised showcase for members contributions and viewing pleasure  :)

Certainly agree with keeping the rules and format under review and adjusting from time to time as needed though.

Offline Basement Dweller

• Librarian
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2017, 09:35:16 PM »
Honestly, would be interested either way...3 would be fine but was happy with 5 as well.  Three would be easier of course but 5 did get me to paint more minis.

I competed for the first time this year.  Yes it is daunting as there are some fantastic entries, but it was nice to "complete" so many minis and also get better at taking photos.  Yes it was time consuming and yes I painted or started a bunch of the minis before the competition started...with real life that is a must.  Some weeks there is no way I have time to paint 5 minis.

That said, I think the potential for some variety some weeks (maybe 3 with a theme, maybe 10 with a  theme) is a way to go.  This would not address Ray's concerns but would provide some variety in what you can paint as sometimes you don't have 5 of a certain theme...or want to paint a mob of cultists...
leadadventureforum.com/gallery/16/1338_04_02_14_4_41_04_1.jpg

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2017, 10:28:29 PM »

Maybe it's just me. I'm not a "top notch" painter in the LPL realm, but I don't think 3 figures would be much faster to paint than 5... just my 2 cents ;)
A CANADIAN local hobby store with a small selection of historical wargames miniatures (mainly from Warlords). They also have a great selection of paint and hobby accessories from Vallejo, Army painter, AK Interactive, Green Stuff World and more.; https://www.kingdomtitans.ca/us/

Offline Andym

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2017, 06:43:28 AM »
What about having a 'Monsterous' special round where the contestants paint either a big creature, war machine or scenery piece?

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2017, 01:17:09 PM »
Thanks for ya'alls thoughts!

I love the League and look forward to it ever year. So please don't misinterpret the reason I started the thread.

Nowadays, there is a tremendous variety of miniatures out there. Some are not so easy to finish as others. For example, I love Perry Miniatures... standard 28mm, metal (and plastic) miniatures with very nice detailing. Perry miniatures are a natural fit for the LPL.

Others not so much.

I just wanted to open a discussion about whether having some different categories might just give folks an opening to present some of the stuff we don't normally see in the League. Think something like "Larger than 39mm" category with 3 miniatures. Or, yea, one week a single miniature or vehicle.

Just to provide some variety if nothing else.

And once again, thanks for your comments.

Offline Private Snafu

• Student
    • My Hobby Blog
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2017, 04:36:33 PM »
I appreciate all the entertainment value you contestants provide, Thank you.

I wonder what the league would look like if dioramas were not permitted or segregated into a different category?  Only the new figures for the round and plain backgrounds would produce a much different result I think.  It might reduce the intimidation factor and get more participation.  Looks like you got 34 of 50 last year.