Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:53:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686616
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 777
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Pulp Alley house rules/scenario rule musings  (Read 1133 times)

Offline Menelduir

• Scientist
  • Pulp Alley Phantom Agent
    • Rants and Ramblings of an Unfocused Gamer
Pulp Alley house rules/scenario rule musings
« on: January 12, 2017, 04:47:54 PM »
Hello

First off, let it be known that as far as I am concerned the game as written is as near to perfect as one can get.
We are looking at some scenario rules, and some other options.

Target priority
When we played the Perilous Island Sinister Swamp scenario we ran into a challenge regarding shooting the nearest target. What has been suggested for any scenario with a surplus of targets is to allow a cunning roll to be made to select a target other than the nearest target. Failure of the test means you have to target the closest enemy, and at a reduced shoot (-1D). We did not want to replace the ability that grants this power, but it offers a chance to be flexible with your targeting.
One could also make it an 'X' roll to target someone else, so anywhere from 1 to 3 successes required.

Small (as opposed to big)
There is an ability called big, I assume most characters are average, so the thought is what about small?
We are thinking a reverse of big, so reduce the die type for Health and Might and increase the die type for Dodge and either Finesse or Cunning (players choice)
For allies the die type reduction for Health would be from D6 to D6*, so they would be treated like followers for health checks. As a level two ability followers are not eligible.

Doc
Finally we have the Doc ability. My players do not much like this skill, I think they want a more immediate result than a reroll in recovery.
We are thinking that the Doc would use cunning like normal but the change is:
if the patient is standing they need to roll 'X' cunning successes.
if the patient is down then 'X' + 1 cunning successes are required.
Success lets the patient make an immediate recovery roll.
Could also make this a long action, and/or have the rule, that so long as a Doc is present and treating them, a downed character is not removed.

Failure might be to increase the number of recovery rolls to be made at the end of the turn.

At any rate we have not tested these ideas in a game, but may soon try them out.
Just sending this out to the universe...
For more gaming stuff feel free to check out my blogs:
General blog: Rants and Ramblings of an Unfocused Gamer @ http://menelduir.blogspot.ca/
Painting/building blog @ https://menelduirspainting.blogspot.com/
VSF related blog @ https://vsfadventuresofmenelduir.blogspot.com/

Offline Wolf Girl

• Mastermind
Re: Pulp Alley house rules/scenario rule musings
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2017, 05:55:26 PM »
It is fun trying different ideas and customizing the rules a bit to fit your own gaming group. Please try these out and let us know how it goes.

A few thoughts/questions/suggestions -

Target Priority - Personally, I hate rolling to see if I can roll to do something. What about just letting them always shoot whoever they want, but if you don't choose the closest target then you suffer a -1d penalty. This is an old Pulp Alley rule we playtested years ago.

Small - I really like this idea, but I'm not sure lowering my Health is a fair trade for a +1 Dodge and Finesse/Cunning. Maybe, but that is what playtesting is for.  ;)

Doc - How many Docs can I have? How many Doc's can work on the same patient? I'd suggest making this a 1 point Resource item called "Medicine Bag". It is crazy good so maybe there should be a bit more of a cost.

Mila Phipps, Pulp Girl
mila@pulpalley.com

Offline Menelduir

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2017, 09:06:26 PM »
It is fun trying different ideas and customizing the rules a bit to fit your own gaming group. Please try these out and let us know how it goes.

Despite this being my thread, I am not always keen to muck with a good thing.
If it ain't broke don't fix it. ;)

A few thoughts/questions/suggestions -

Target Priority - Personally, I hate rolling to see if I can roll to do something. What about just letting them always shoot whoever they want, but if you don't choose the closest target then you suffer a -1d penalty. This is an old Pulp Alley rule we playtested years ago.

Fair enough, I was kind of amused at making a 'shooter' have cunning.  >:D

Small - I really like this idea, but I'm not sure lowering my Health is a fair trade for a +1 Dodge and Finesse/Cunning. Maybe, but that is what playtesting is for.  ;)

Not suggesting it is a great idea, maybe for specific cases only. I did envision it paired up with harmless, animal or sly/brainy. Hopefully the better dodge will mean less health checks.
But yes play testing will determine the value, if any.

Doc - How many Docs can I have? How many Doc's can work on the same patient? I'd suggest making this a 1 point Resource item called "Medicine Bag". It is crazy good so maybe there should be a bit more of a cost.

Currently no one in my group takes Doc, just trying to spice it up! I do like the bag idea.
The working on a patient bit was just musing out loud...

Thanks for the reply :)

[/quote]

Offline Wolf Girl

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2017, 07:31:53 PM »
Sorry if I came off discouraging at all. We really do enjoy seeing all the ideas that our Pulp Alley players come up with. And it is almost always fun trying them out.   :D

Offline Menelduir

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2017, 09:32:44 PM »
Sorry if I came off discouraging at all. We really do enjoy seeing all the ideas that our Pulp Alley players come up with. And it is almost always fun trying them out.   :D

Not for a moment did I think that, hell it's my post and I do not really think we need to muck around with that much. lol
I have only played this game for around 6 months, you have a great deal more experience, I value your insight, and any knowledge you can pass on is greatly appreciated!

I like the the rules as written, and the limitations and variety in the game. Some of my players may rail against some restrictions, or wish for more abilities, but it is this balancing act that I like so much. Rarely do create a league where I did not wish I had just one more point to spend. But this is good, it means I have to be more creative when I build a league and take the time to balance what I want in that league.

As always, and I think I speak for everyone on the Pulp page, I/we all appreciate how you and your father monitor these posts and consistently offer encouragement and helpful suggestions.

Thank you

Offline d phipps

• Galactic Brain
  • Pulp Alley
    • Pulp Alley
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2017, 07:37:13 PM »
Luckily for our Pulp Alley players, Mila has the honor (aka misfortune) of being the first line of defense against my crazy ideas. She is very good at sending me back to the drawing board when one of my "brilliant ideas" turns out much dimmer than imagined.  :o lol

The intention of Pulp Alley has always been to provide a framework for our players to play the game they want to play. Sometimes this can (and should) include making your own adjustments and house rules.

HAVE FUN