Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 01:09:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689806
  • Total Topics: 118296
  • Online Today: 798
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Giant Killer Robots - Upcoming game by Weta Workshop [Update Feb 23: KS live]  (Read 4725 times)

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
The FAQ stated that the unpainted models would be unpainted PVC, so definitely not worth the extra $50 for me.  I agree if there was a minis only pledge for just the heavy hitters I'd probably give it a go, but I'll pass on the full game.

Seems an odd choice to provide the four big mechs painted and plain plastic for the other figures.
Thanks, I missed that detail.
I still wonder whether the unpainted ones have more detail - the green painted mech has those missiles on his shoulders which appear to be painted - or an adhesive - but in the unpainted version pic they're clearly 3D bumps. I might be wrong, but I'm also trying to understand the price of the unpainted set - if anything they should be cheaper!

Agreed re the small unpainted mechs - I'd prefer all to be unpainted, but if I were in it for gaming only I'd prefer to have them all finished.

Offline Agis

• villainous mastermind
  • Galactic Brain
    • A.D.Publishing
I backed it, for me enough of the District 9 look swaps over.
;)
But i have to agree the original paint jobs pulled me off too, too much pattern breaking lines IMO.
cheers and keep on gaming, Agis - http://www.adpublishing.de

Offline eMills

• Scientist
Thanks, I missed that detail.
I still wonder whether the unpainted ones have more detail - the green painted mech has those missiles on his shoulders which appear to be painted - or an adhesive - but in the unpainted version pic they're clearly 3D bumps. I might be wrong, but I'm also trying to understand the price of the unpainted set - if anything they should be cheaper!

Agreed re the small unpainted mechs - I'd prefer all to be unpainted, but if I were in it for gaming only I'd prefer to have them all finished.

Re: price issues, it reads to me as though you'll get painted set and an unpainted set with the more expensive pledge.

Not too sure on the whole thing yet myself.

~Eric

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
Re: price issues, it reads to me as though you'll get painted set and an unpainted set with the more expensive pledge.

Not too sure on the whole thing yet myself.

~Eric
Oh! Well that is better, price wise - but not sure I want two sets... I'm not sure whether I'm trying to convince myself to give in or to convince myself to give it up yet.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
Intriguing robot bits for sure...maybe something I'll look at in retail later.  Definitely a god-send for anyone wanting to do District 9 though. 
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
Urgh... Cryptozoic... Pass
Excellent bots though!
“What use was time to those who'd soon achieve Digital Immortality?”

Offline Cherno

• Scatterbrained Genius
A review has been posted for GKR: Heavy Hitters.

https://www.boardgamequest.com/gkr-heavy-hitters-review/

Offline Muzfish4

• Mad Scientist
I didn't back this KS campaign but my semi-regular boardgames opponent recently received his KickStarter pledge for GKR and we have managed to squeeze in two games. Not bad (definitely over-produced, but that's nothing new for KickStarter) but it had a few inconsistencies in gameplay (ones around the way that orbital bombardments work - and are different prices for different factions - spring most readily to mind) that made me thing that more playtesting should have been done. Should also say that the KS-exclusive cards with the reflective metallic effects were simply horrid to the point they were difficult to read.

Not sure how it'd play with more than two, I rather suspect that alliances would be fluid but once a front runner emerge they would be targeted though that would depend on the players. Overall, not bad but not one I regret electing not to back.

By the sheerest dint of coincidence I happened to be in beautiful (and windy) Wellington last month when the Fish family took a road trip and we visited Weta Workshop (well worth it next time you’re in the neighbourhood, by the way). The chap running the tour mentioned their expansion into gaming and said that the intention it there to continue to produce games with the next cab off the rank being a boardgame themed around the South African film District 9. Should be interesting to see what Weta Workshop cook up with that one. The Weat giftshop was also packed with GKR merchandise; I resisted (very slight) temptation.