Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:52:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Lakhmid cavalry for Sassanid Army... Conversion and painting finished 31/05/2023  (Read 6930 times)

Offline chema1986

• Scientist
I'm afraid I've been looking for Lakhmid or Ghassanid figures for many years. Your various conversions are all quite inspirational.  I rather hoped the new Aventine 6th century Byzantine range would cover "early" Arabs but apparently not.  Pre 9/10th century Arabs or other N Africans ( except Numidians) seem to be a gap in the market. Gripping Beast used to produce a range called , I think "The Desert Frontier"  but it seems to have disappeared.

Many thanks, yes, a pitty about GB Desert frontier range... 

Offline chema1986

• Scientist
" I rather hoped the new Aventine 6th century Byzantine range would cover "early" Arabs but apparently not."

We have decided to add some cavalry covering just this as allies and enemies for our range, thanks to discussions with another poster on this forum, we looked at what is known and found enough to inspire Adam into tackling a small range. I hope this helps.

Cheers
Keith
Aventine Miniatiures

Wooooooooooooow great news!  Thanks Keith If I had known that, I would not have converted these hahaha, I will paint them anyway and buy yours too  lol
Aventine Late Antiquity range is becoming my wargame favourite range (along with North star 1672!)

Cheers

Offline Hincmar

• Bookworm

Arabs of the 6 - 7th Century period are one of the largest remaining gaps in the market, which is strange for such an important subject.   Newline do a few packs which they advertise for this period but they seem to wear garb that is more appropriate for a later era.

Offline OB

• Mastermind
What an interesting thread.  I want to put together a couple of Arab units in 15mm.  Now I know what to look for.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
Adam delivered another set of Eastern Infantry in extra heavy, heavy and medium armours yesterday but I have not yet had the time to make the production moulds (too many orders still flowing in). He has another batch 90% ready and they should appear next week as well, that leaves the slingers which he has been working on already so another week maybe for them and that finishes it. Cavalry will start immediately after the slingers are added to the store.

Well, you know I'm in!  :)

Can't wait to see them Keith  8)

Offline WuZhuiQiu

• Mastermind
HI guys, 2 years and a half from last post in this thread...

[Redacted]

[Redacted]

Cheers!

Nice work! Which book did the above image come from? It looks like an interesting reference...

Offline bluewillow

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Bluewillow- Matthew Williamson
I used a select range of A & A helmeted figures for the sassanid and some Roman cavalry

Offline chema1986

• Scientist
Nice work! Which book did the above image come from? It looks like an interesting reference...

Hi mate, the book is "An Illustrated Encyclopedia of the Uniforms of the Roman World"

Is very nice, full of colour profiles, although mostly copied from Osprey books.

Offline WuZhuiQiu

• Mastermind
Thanks!

Re. Gripping Beast's desert frontier figures, i.e. the ones with javelins and large shields, their reply from mid-March was to the effect that the moulds were not then in a condition to be spun, and that the figures would be remastered, but not until later this year.

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
Excellent news. From memory they were very useful figures so I'm more than happy to wait for re-mastered models.

Offline chema1986

• Scientist
Hello guys!

Finally , since 2020, I managed to finish my Lakhmid cavalry for my Sassanid army.

Here you have the first post with the history and conversion process:

https://spanishleadpainting.blogspot.com/2020/05/28mm-conversions-lakhmid-arab-cavalry.html

and here the new one:

https://spanishleadpainting.blogspot.com/2023/05/28mm-lakhmid-arab-cavalry-sassanid.html

The miniatures are a mixture of Gripping beast plastic Arab heavy cavalry,  Armorum & Aquila Sassanids horse archers in armor. I painted them mostly in Vallejo and Foundry paints in triads.

I started the painting process in early March, but an eyes operation prevented me to finish the unit until May!  I tried to use earthy and warm tones, like the illustration above, I also painted a couple of horse saddle with leopard skin like the noble warrior of the illustration.
The shields are A&A with Little big men studios decals from their Sassanid range.

The plastic horses are nice and pleasant to paint, also the plastic rider, which , in my opinion, is a good miniature compared with other plastic kits from Gripping Beast.

The unit is based for Impetus or Basic Impetus, like the rest of my late antiquity armies.

I hope you like them!

Cheers

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
Fabulous conversion and brushwork  :-* :-* :-*

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
lovely paintjobs and basing.

Offline chema1986

• Scientist
Fabulous conversion and brushwork  :-* :-* :-*