Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:13:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Sculpting Plains Indians (Mounted Crow)  (Read 79994 times)

Offline rumacara

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Zillions of painted miniz!
Re: Sculpting Plains Indians (Pawnee Set 1 Finished)
« Reply #225 on: February 10, 2019, 07:44:01 PM »
I´m sad this didnt worked as you planned. :(
Nevertheless and as you said you learned a lot and i´m sure you will end up with even better figures.
We will be here to buy them. ;)

Offline traveller

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #226 on: February 11, 2019, 09:28:50 AM »
Sorry to hear this but also great to hear that you overcame this setback. You have fantastic sculpting skills. As the man said, we are here to buy them  ;)

Offline sjwalker51

• Scientist
« Reply #227 on: February 11, 2019, 10:18:02 AM »
Always worth waiting for good figures :-)

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #228 on: February 11, 2019, 04:08:17 PM »
I´m sad this didnt worked as you planned. :(
Nevertheless and as you said you learned a lot and i´m sure you will end up with even better figures.
We will be here to buy them. ;)

Seconded, Rui has summed it up perfectly. Keep going! :)
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Steel fist

• Scientist
« Reply #229 on: February 12, 2019, 01:09:49 PM »
If you have made figures using resin parts griffin moulds in the U.K. can cast them using a cold cure mould process followed by a low temp silicone mould.
I have regularly used this method

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #230 on: February 12, 2019, 02:20:02 PM »
Seconded, Rui has summed it up perfectly. Keep going! :)

I Second Mama's Seconding!
Keep going, mate, as they are great.
 :)

Offline Clearco

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
    • Clearco Miniatures
« Reply #231 on: February 12, 2019, 04:56:28 PM »
Thank you a lot for your support guys!  :) :) :) I'll do my best!  ;)

If you have made figures using resin parts griffin moulds in the U.K. can cast them using a cold cure mould process followed by a low temp silicone mould.
I have regularly used this method
Oh my! That's interesting and helpful! I'll give it a thought but I suspect I kind of made my mind about sculpting the things anew (I decided this back in early January)...as a perfectionistic person I now see so many mistakes in the original miniatures I made...It's good to know though. Thanks!! :)

P.S: besides there are some poses I made that can't be casted and I didn't count with the shrinkage that casting produces so some of the figures ended up bein very very narrow when casted twice...so I suppose I should make them again anyway in order to correct these issues  :)
« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 06:08:53 AM by Clearco »

Offline marco55

• Mastermind
« Reply #232 on: February 21, 2019, 04:51:56 AM »
Just read this whole thread and can see that this has been a long learning process for you but you seem to have learned alot.I hope you don't give up on these as I think it will be great for someone to do tribe specific,especially Crows and Pawnees.Count me in as a customer when you start selling these.Maybe in a couple years you will be doing something like this. :o :-* ;D :D
Mark

Offline BillK

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
« Reply #233 on: March 03, 2019, 06:49:32 PM »
Holy Crapoly Mark, where is that from?
Something you sculpted?

Offline Clearco

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
    • Clearco Miniatures
« Reply #234 on: March 03, 2019, 07:24:40 PM »
Thank you for the kind comment Marco :-) I had taken a very needed break of sculpting these figures but I'm currently getting back at them. It's only one or two armatures at the moment but it is a (re-)start  :)

Nice figure! Who makes it? What scale is it?

Offline marco55

• Mastermind
« Reply #235 on: March 03, 2019, 08:26:46 PM »
That indian is a 1/30 (60mm) sculpt from John Jenkins Designs.It is probably the first figure of a new range coming out shortly called "Whiskey,Scalps & Beaver Pelts" focusing on the 1820's-1840's Mountain Man era.
Mark

Offline marco55

• Mastermind
« Reply #236 on: March 03, 2019, 08:28:09 PM »
Holy Crapoly Mark, where is that from?
Something you sculpted?

I couldn't sculpt a stick figure. :D lol lol. lol. lol
Mark

Offline BillK

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
« Reply #237 on: May 31, 2019, 11:42:13 PM »
Anything new with the Pawnee? Like set #2... so I can order my first set of 10 figs!
Of course, I'll need some Comanches and Shawnee to go along with them!!

Offline Clearco

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
    • Clearco Miniatures
« Reply #238 on: July 19, 2019, 10:05:16 AM »
Hi!
@BillK: nothing new, I restarted it all in fact  ;) But I have finally ended the first phase of the second version  lol

I copy-paste here the post I made on my blog with the last stand of things regarding my sculpts:

*************************************************************************************
Hi you all!
It has been a while since I published something here for the last time. There are several reasons for it. The main one is that I received a big setback while trying to produce the Crow figures I had finished a year ago (do you remember them?: Here). A while back I had made my own homemade castings of the dollies, heads and weapons I had previously made, and used them to speed up the sculpting process. The funny thing is that these resin castings, being homemade, contained very tiny bubbles in the inside, what caused that the miniatures I had made reacted oddly under the preassure and heat of the metal casting process, becoming holes or being deformed, specially at the head.
Moreover, I was a bit naïf designing some of the poses, that turned out being almost impossible to cast, as my caster told me.
Due to these developments, and  after lots of failed castings and months of repairs of the masters for them to be finally released, I had some decisions to make back in November/December:
A) I could continue reapiring and release some of the miniatures (not all of them), some of them with serious flaws I couldn't repair.
B) I could let the thing be and sculpt something else.
C) I could start over.

So, as you may have guessed I picked C and started the whole project from the beginning (that means: sculpting dollies, weapons, heads and such again, not complete figures) BUT then I suffered a sort of creative blockade and began a circle of sculpting things, finishing them, not liking them at all (or discovering they are wrong in some way), despairing, hating the project, becoming motivated again, starting over with other materials and...back to the beginning. That went on and on for many months, with lots of interferences of the real world and real job cutting my sculpting time.

Nevertheless, among lots of useless dollies, parts and scraps I was slowly able to finish some minor things so that the project went on (as fast as a snail, but...) Then the last month and a half I actually began overcoming the blockade and sculpting things that I could use, so I worked harder untill yesterday, when I f***ing finally finished it all!!!

Btw I have realised that I hate sculpting dollies insted of complete figures but I know in the end it's worth the effort

I didn't want to show anything here until I had something to show so here it is:

**************************************************************************************

I send the bits to the caster today. I'll tell you how it goes  :)

P.S: Nothing else on this topic at the blog, but just in case you are curious: http://clearcominiatures.blogspot.com/2019/07/a-new-beginning.html

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #239 on: July 19, 2019, 12:47:45 PM »
Keep at it, it will be worth it in the end :)