Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 10:22:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Sculpting Plains Indians (Mounted Crow)  (Read 80029 times)

Online Clearco

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
    • Clearco Miniatures
Re: Sculpting Plains Indians (Pawnee)
« Reply #390 on: November 06, 2020, 12:15:32 PM »
I couldn't help myself and I made some photos of the castings:

Can't wait to see some painted :)

http://clearcominiatures.blogspot.com/2020/06/prices-and-packs-plains-warriors.html

Online Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #391 on: November 06, 2020, 12:57:07 PM »
They look superb ;D
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline marco55

• Mastermind
« Reply #392 on: November 06, 2020, 12:57:34 PM »
Your indians painted look great.Lots of detail,animation.Keep going. :D Maybe someday you could do some Seminoles/Creeks.
Mark

Offline sepoy1857

• Mastermind
  • Wherever Duty Calls...
    • The Devil's Wind
« Reply #393 on: November 14, 2020, 01:17:10 AM »
Wow! These are amazing! Well done.
All The Best
Scott Dallimore
Kent-Essex Gaming Society
http://kent-essexgaming.ca/

Offline BillK

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
« Reply #394 on: November 14, 2020, 08:25:24 PM »
They look fantastic!

I do agree with Mark above... it would be great to see you produce some Seminoles, or any of the other Five Civilized Tribes (Seminoles, Cherokee, Choctaw, Chickasaw, or Creek), as many of those  figures would be interchangeable (and there are so many gaming opportunities with those figures given the history and other figures that would work alongside your sculpts).

Great work... can't wait to get some.
Bill

Online Clearco

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
    • Clearco Miniatures
« Reply #395 on: November 16, 2020, 01:20:05 PM »
Thank you a lot for your comments guys, I really apreciate it  :)

I'd like to show you another paintjob, this time on the Crow warchief:

The hide clothing is a bit too dark for a Crow but it's a lovely paintjob nonetheless.

I do agree with Mark above... it would be great to see you produce some Seminoles, or any of the other Five Civilized Tribes (Seminoles, Cherokee, Choctaw, Chickasaw, or Creek), as many of those  figures would be interchangeable (and there are so many gaming opportunities with those figures given the history and other figures that would work alongside your sculpts).
Your indians painted look great.Lots of detail,animation.Keep going. :D Maybe someday you could do some Seminoles/Creeks.

I would like to, but I can't promise anything  ;). There is already so many plains tribes I'd like to sculpt (plus apache an others) that I fear to overstrech myself in the project  ;D

Offline sepoy1857

• Mastermind
  • Wherever Duty Calls...
    • The Devil's Wind
« Reply #396 on: November 17, 2020, 01:41:07 AM »
They look fantastic!

Great work... can't wait to get some.
Bill
I'll second that! The Cherokee would be great for Rev War in the South! :)

Offline BillK

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
« Reply #397 on: November 20, 2020, 07:37:13 PM »
@Clearco... hey, in addition to the Pawnee you'll certainly see me buying some of those Apaches you're considering (even if you never do any Five Civilized Tribes) likely thru Badger Games. Keep up the great work!

Offline rumacara

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Zillions of painted miniz!
« Reply #398 on: November 20, 2020, 09:45:03 PM »
Pawnee received this week.
Highly recomended. :)

Offline pallard

• Librarian
« Reply #399 on: November 21, 2020, 12:58:28 PM »
Seminoles and Creeks would link your range to the whole First Nations front, from north to south, for the years 1800 to 1850 by and large. I think this is going to be popular, given the new version of Musket and Tomahawk going into the 1812 conflict. I have a Seminole-Creek wars project with Sharp Practice myself.
And the Blackfeet, Crows and Pawnees project with Gringo40 Jackson's Proud Boy militias and rangers are in the frontline too.
All so exiting !
Philippe

Offline Harry von Fleischmann

• Scientist
« Reply #400 on: December 01, 2020, 06:50:19 PM »
Just to add that my Pawnee arrived too; very swift despatch and gorgeous figures!

Online Clearco

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
    • Clearco Miniatures
« Reply #401 on: December 02, 2020, 08:25:32 PM »
Thank you all for your nice comments & suggestions and for letting me know that the figures have arrived safely :) I'm eagerly waiting to see some painted examples  ;)

For that matter I'm working right now on a painting guide for the Pawnee similar to the one I made for the Crow. It will take me a couple of days yet (specially for ilustrations) but I hope you will find it usefull :) I will for sure share it here when it's done

Offline pallard

• Librarian
« Reply #402 on: December 05, 2020, 09:32:08 AM »
Clearco
I would be interested in knowing where you take your knowledge of the warrior societies from. The rules by Chris Peers which are the most documented for Plains wars IMO, indicate only two brands: contraries and no-flights.
Also I read in Paterek's Encyclopedia of American Indian Costume that Pawnee medicine men wore the entire skin of a grizzly bear, their animal spirit! Come on, we cannot avoid such a miniature can we???
I'm waiting for my Comanche set ( from Hundred Nations- Conquest) so there WILL be an order for your Pawnees at least pretty soon...
Philippe

Online Clearco

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
    • Clearco Miniatures
« Reply #403 on: December 06, 2020, 06:47:58 PM »
Hi!
@Pallard: Thank you for your words! I'll happily provide you with all the Pawnee you need  ;)
Chris Peers rules are great, I own them since several years :) The information I have about Pawnee warrior societies comes from the vast work from James R. Murie, an etnographer who was, in fact, half Pawnee. You can find his work "Pawnee Indian Societies" in a huge work called "Societies of the Plains Indians", published by the American Museum of Natural History :)

In fact, most of Pawnee warrior societies officers who carried a lance were no-flight warriors, as they would stick them to the ground to make a stand, like warriors from other tribes made with sashes (or also with lances, like the Crow Foxes or Lumpwoods). The Crazy Dogs wishing to Die did the same with a stake tied to the feathered string they carried tied to the penis  ;D I made such a figure, btw  lol. The only contraries Murie mention among the Pawnee are the Children of the Iruska, but they didn't seem to have had a specially glorious performance in battle  ;)

Also I read in Paterek's Encyclopedia of American Indian Costume that Pawnee medicine men wore the entire skin of a grizzly bear, their animal spirit! Come on, we cannot avoid such a miniature can we???
Well said!  ;) I'll see what I can do... There is also an actual photo of an Arikara man (by Curtis) also wearing the entire skin of a grizzly, I suppose that couldn't be so different, given that Arikara and Pawnee were relatives...

Speaking of Pawnee...I finished the painting guide, I hope you find it useful!

Here it is: http://clearcominiatures.blogspot.com/2020/12/painting-pawnee.html

The job was harder than in the case of Crow, there is no so much information or items in museum that are clearly Pawnee...

Speaking of which, I'd like to remind you of the Crow painting guide, in case someone is interested :)

http://clearcominiatures.blogspot.com/2020/07/painting-crow.html

P.S: Please don't judge my drawings to harsh, I work with photos of simple drawings I make + Paint   lol

Offline pallard

• Librarian
« Reply #404 on: December 06, 2020, 09:39:10 PM »
Thank you for the information.
I am quite confused about the problem of specific Amerindian tribe dressing from the eighteenth century on. First because I studied eastern forest tribes and found that many were very much mixed. The great lakes villages, even the Ohio valley ones, had people from many different tribes even if nominally Huron or Delaware, to mention only two nations. The Iroquois went so far as having captive villages, these people in the Indian society being reborn-relatives much more than captives in fact, and fully relied on for war. So if you want a realistic war party you'll probably have different looking warriors indeed.
For later on the Plains, I recall a passage in the memoirs of John Tanner, who was an Ojibwa captive turned warrior for decades, saying that once he subdued an Indian and they had to shoot their tribe name to recognize each other as allies and not enemies. That is in clear an Ojibwa could not recognize an Assiniboine from a Sioux!
So I lost faith in my Hollywood souvenirs of scouts recognizing warriors' tribe from hundreds of yards away!
Of course Pawnees seem specific, but even them compared to Osages for instance...
Philippe