Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 05:15:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689762
  • Total Topics: 118294
  • Online Today: 786
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Hi, and thanks for having me....  (Read 1199 times)

Offline IDeeDee

• Lurker
Hi, and thanks for having me....
« on: January 11, 2017, 07:10:46 AM »
New member as of today, but forum stalker (sorry: Guest) for about a year now...

Am UK-based chap, and have picked up the paintbrush & dice after an absence of the best part of 30 years (work, life, acting, PC games and hitting people with lumps of metal got in the way for a while); partly inspired by more time on my hands, some of the excellent figures now available, teddy-bear fur, some excellent blogs and the general brilliance of the Internet (perhaps only those of the magazine & photo-stat catalogue "gosh, those figures sound interesting - if only I had the faintest idea of what they might look like" days will truly get that.... :) ).

My interests, in theory, lie in a mix of RPG, board games and "traditional" wargaming (nowadays mainly of the "skirmish" variety), but I'm basically a toy-whore..

I am presently working on a medieval skirmish project based around the Robin Hood stories in 1/72 scale (Working title "Shaft Practice".   Yes....  I know....) which seems to have grown into a monster way beyond my intentions ("Curse you Zvezda, Strelets and Hat"), a "Not Serenity" project and a "Buffy and the girls of St Finians" team for Zombicide.

My eyes n' cunning of hand have deteriorate since my salad (Airfix & Minifigs) days but I'm still dabbing away in my ol' kack-handed way.....

Anyhoo, thanks for having me aboard....     

Offline Sunjester

• Mastermind
Re: Hi, and thanks for having me....
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2017, 07:44:46 AM »
Welcome.

You describe the days of my youth! lol How well I remember sending off a sae for a manfacturer's "catalogue" (or worse sending a fax!), only to receive a stack of photocopied pages with barely half a dozen blurry b/w photos to illustrate the whole range, or else some crappy line drawings of the figures (apparantly drawn by the designer's 5-year-old daughter).

Kids today, they don't know their born! ;)

Offline Cherno

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2017, 09:31:02 AM »
Hello and welcome to the forum  8)

Offline jambo1

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2017, 05:39:43 PM »
Welcome to the forum, good memories too about ordering form really bad line drawn figures in catalogues. :)

Offline Damas

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
  • Re-enactor, modeller, stooge
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2017, 07:15:48 PM »
Greetings from another Southerner!
"Old gamers don't die, they just smell like that."

Offline CovIntGames

• Assistant
  • Covert Intervention Games - Founder
    • Covert Intervention Games - 20mm Minis and Games!
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2017, 10:07:51 PM »
Welcome and glad to have you. enjoyed what you wrote... brought some memories to mind.

Best of luck, and I hope you jump back into the hobby with both feet! :)
Managing Partner & Founder of Covert Intervention Games
CIG Facebook

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2017, 10:11:02 PM »
Welcome, and I also remember the thrill of sending off pocket money buying "blind" not knowing what would come through the post in a weeks time....the nervous excitement of the wait, and then sometimes it was great, sometimes a huge disappointment .
I am going to build a wargames army, a big beautiful wargames army, and Mexico is going to pay for it.

2019 Painting Challenge :
figures bought: 500+
figures painted: 57
9 vehicles painted
4 terrain pieces scratchbuilt