Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:26:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Battle Report .45 Adventure goes Cthulhu !  (Read 9394 times)

Offline Driscoles

• The Dude
  • Galactic Brain
Battle Report .45 Adventure goes Cthulhu !
« on: July 14, 2006, 10:05:50 AM »
Hello,

I did some promo for .45 A yesterday in the big city of Hamburg.  :)
I met with Heiko, Tobi, Volker  and me in a small game store called Zauberstein. I lost money there because I found old Rafm Cthulhu Blisters and Mummy   Sarcophargos ( right spelling ??? ) Its always the same ....

Actually I wanted a Jungle Adventure. But I had lots of jungle adventures in the past so I thought lets do something else.

With all this Cthulhu talk and CiC in this forum I switched to a Cthulhu adventure. A simple one, because it was playtesting and two gamers were new with the .45 A rules. The story is kind of simple. Three Investigators John Steed( Grade 3 Spy ), Sam Spade ( Grade 3 P.I. ) and William H. Russel ( novice Reporter Grade 1 ) are chasing Reginald Farnsworth a rich guy and collector of curiosities. He owns a book that he wants to sell to Mr. Gutworth an evil man and cultist. Our heroes find Farnsworth during nighttime in his cottage were he waits for Gutworth. They sure get into trouble. Farnsworth manages to shut out the light and gets away with the book and the car keys. Our heroes want to follow Farnsworth when they hear a terrible scream from the outside.

That is roughly the intro to our story.

The goal is that the good guys try to get the book and the car keys and get away from the board with the car. ( They probably had no car keys in the 20`s....)The bad guys wanted the book too and had to escape from the edge were Gutworth started. For this Gutworth ( Grade 3 Cultis Leader ) had the following henchmen.
Alain Ladd Gat Man Grade 1
1 Ghast Grade 1
4 Ghouls 1/2 Grade each

For Mr. Gutworth I invented the new "skill " fat. He is slow with a SPD of 3
but his DR is 6 on all body parts. This DR 6 helped Mr. Gutworth a lot during the game. There was another skill I gave to Gutworth. Occult. I used it as a protection against occult influence. For example when the Ghouls role a one they attack the next model. In case this model is Gutworth he is save.

I handed two event markers to each player team and kept two for myself. After all six were placed I asked Volker who played the good guys to place his miniaturey anywere on the board.

Than Volker and Heiko placed there evil miniatures.

Heres a picture

The good guys won initiative and Mr Steed turned the first event marker. He found his beloved dog Isaac and felt much safer. Russel the reporter jumped into the car. Only he knew why. Spade was going down the road to another event marker. Meanwhile the slimey Ghouls and Alain Ladd came closer to our heroes. Ladd fires his gun but missed Steed.

Spade comes closer to the event marker and his abilities tell him he will find something important...

The barrels and fences are from www.pardulon.com.

The 2nd round made it clear why the Reporter jumped on the car. He wanted to flashlight the Ghouls and Ladd. That is an action you really need in pulp games. They make the game fun. The evil players reacted as great pulp players. They said there Ghouls will make gut tests this round because they dont know flash lights.

After Russel made this last shot he was overwhelmed by the Ghouls and shredded to pieces... actually not... The batteries were empty. Iam sorry not to show you more pictures.

The game went up and down. Spade found the book but Gutworth the keys. Steeds dog died after a heroic fight against the Ghast and two Ghouls. He bite into Ladds behind. Also Russel, the young and brave journalist died against the Ghouls. All Ghouls, the Ghast and Ladd were shot by Steed and Spade. Gutworth escaped and he did not get the book. That was important....

To me it was a fun game. I will do some changes for this adventure when I play it again cuz I think shootouts are not the important part of .45 Adventure. You need clear goals for each team to get a fun game. Finding the book for the good guys was goal enough.

Hope you had some fun in reading this report and i wish you all a nice and sunny weekend.

Björn
, ,

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2006, 10:20:55 AM »
Wow, Björn, i'm imperessed, very nice report, great scenery,  thanks for sharing!  How did you adapt the Ghast and Ghouls for .45?

Offline Lettow-Vorbeck

• Student
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2006, 10:45:42 AM »
missing the train :mrgreen:  remember the beautiful alain Ladd. :D

Offline Driscoles

• The Dude
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2006, 11:19:35 AM »
Forgive me fellas,

this is picture 4 !!

The Ghouls are easy to adapt. Amazing War Stories have rules for Russian Peasant Ghouls. The Ghast is only better in brains and heater and the DR on Torso is 5. In the future I will make something with Fishmen, Sanddwellers, and larger Cthulhu creatures. But the larger ones only as an event marker or mission goal.

Oh yeah....the train...that was funny... The game was going on and Steed had a hand to hand fight with a Ghoul at the tables edge. And someone asked if models can be pushed from the board when we use the push back rule. I was not sure but as beeing the gamemaster I remembered the might I have  :lol:   So I said Steed pushed the Ghoul on the road and a truck came buy and hit the Ghoul and somebody else said...why not a train  :mrgreen:   Anyway...truck or train....the Ghoul was history !

Björn

Offline Operator5

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Silent Sentinel
    • Rattrap Productions LLC
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2006, 11:21:44 AM »
Great write up! That sounds like the game was a lot of fun. Your additions of the Occult skill and Fat Man were inspired.

Fat Man would make a great Flaw and I just may have to add that to The Gargoyle: Death Soldiers of the Jade Hood since one of the characters that I will introduce in that book is Emerson P. Balldridge---New Commerce City's resident "collector" or rare items.

Thanks for sharing. I'll be pointing everyone on the HLSS Yahoo group to your write up.

Rich
Richard A. Johnson
On Facebook: Rattrap on Facebook

Offline Driscoles

• The Dude
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2006, 11:47:20 AM »
Thank you Alex,
Thank you Rich,

I think with a little bit brainstorming Occult can be worked out much more clearly as a skill.

Fat as a flaw is a good idea. Tobias was always complaining during the game, how slow his darn figure is and such. He was also teased by the other players. But when he was under fire by Spade he laughed his evil laugh and sure was happy after he saved bullet after bullet.

Björn

Offline Prof. Dietrich Hes

• Librarian
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2006, 12:19:23 PM »
Bjorn,
  Great write up and pictures!  I like how you got the "feel" for the game, without getting to bogged down with trying to add to much in.  very well done.  

I like the idea of the "Occult" skill. HAve you given thought to a "Sanity" roll? Granted the scenario is short and it might not have come into play, but that is the only thing I would like to see added.

look forward to more. and I also would like to see how you implement in some of the other monsters and such.

Especially a Dark Young of Shub-Niggurath   :D

it might be interesting to start a lisitng of typical creatures and make some stats for them.

again, Great job and I look forward to more (soon)

Steve

p.s. for some strange reason when I first saw your picture it reminded me of the HPL story for "A picture in the house"

Offline Driscoles

• The Dude
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2006, 01:13:53 PM »
Thank you Prof. Dietrich,

you are right with Sanity Rolls. Usually such rolls must be done in such games or at least something similar. But here I think that was not really nessesary. Spade had to make a succesful Gut Roll to pick up the Mythos Book.

The Good Guys in my pulp games are the heroes from my childhood days ( thats why I use this familiar names. Its a bit like Extraordinairy Gentleman ) or favourite novels, comic books and movies. They sure have there disadvantages but in most situation those guys do not fail. They are immortal to me  :)

Regarding your P.S. That makes me smile a bit. I just reread this story cuz I was not sure what you meant. The lone house, the curiosities and the book of medium size that laid on the table...lets see whats upstairs.

Björn

Offline Operator5

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Silent Sentinel
    • Rattrap Productions LLC
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2006, 01:21:57 PM »
Quote from: "Prof. Dietrich Hes"
Have you given thought to a "Sanity" roll? Granted the scenario is short and it might not have come into play, but that is the only thing I would like to see added.

Insanity Causing: Models with this ability are beyond human comprehension. As such, their appearance can drive men mad. If a model gets within 6" of a model with this ability, they must make a BR test. If they fail, their BR score is reduced by 1. When it reaches 0, the model has gone insane. If they pass the BR test, then the model does not need to take the test again for this Insanity Causing model.

Models that are Insane must roll on this reaction table at the beginning of their activation.

1: Attack the nearest model in close combat
2: Move full movement + expend one hero point to move an additional 1" (if the team still has hero points) back toward the team's starting point
3: Move full movement in a random direction (1-3 forward, 4-6 left, 7-9 right, 10 back).
4-10: Model acts normally.

Models that have gone insane have their BR score rturned to normal, but on a BR test if the player roles a 1 for the model, it is considered a success (the insanity lead to the right answer in a roundabout way).

Rich

• Librarian
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2006, 01:49:08 PM »
Rich,
 thanks for that.  I have started a new thread regarding your rules with one or two thoughts of my own.  http://forum.backofbeyond.de/viewtopic.php?t=98

Bjorn,
  I completly respect your thought on your characters.  afterall I have some figures that have the better paint job and they also seem to last better than most  :)

the story wouldnt lend itself to tabletop play but the situation definatly fits in that area.  I had just reread that story about a week ago and like i said, the whole layout was the picture in my head.

Offline PeteMurray

• Parapsychologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Cardinal Murray
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2006, 01:52:01 PM »
Awesome game, Bjorn! That's a great table setup, too.

I really like how you incorporated elements like flashing the lights--really good games have these little details in them to keep everyone on their toes!

Offline Driscoles

• The Dude
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2006, 01:57:17 PM »
Thanks for the sanity rule idea Rich ! Sounds good to me ! I will test it soon. After all your positive feedback I will  let the Heroes search the basement ! :twisted:

• Librarian
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2006, 02:05:36 PM »
Pete,
 I agree, it does add a nice element to the game.  I'm writing a post about the "Crack'd and Crook'd Manse" scenario from Chaosium and oddly enough the best way to defeat the monster is using salt (If you can find it)

Offline fatgoblin

• Scientist
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2006, 03:40:28 PM »
nice report and lovely pics!  thanks for sharing!

Offline Grimm

• Two-time LPL Champion (Season 2 and 3) Supporting Adventurer
  • The Colonial Tales Winner
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Grimms-Hangar on Facebook
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2006, 10:00:01 AM »
cussed !!!!!
I Hate company party´s next time I will came to you  promo games .I promised

Grimm
ttps://www.facebook.com/pages/Grimms-Hangar/196455560521708