Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:30:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686664
  • Total Topics: 118120
  • Online Today: 817
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Some larking around with Sci Fi (Some 15mm figures this time)  (Read 6928 times)

Offline Grumbledook

• Scientist
    • It's a Hobby, not an Addiction!
Re: Some larking around with Sci Fi
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2017, 10:15:45 PM »
Another offering in my hopelessly attempt to actually focus on a coherent project. This time we have a pre-Magnus Thousand Sons legionary. Nearly finished, he just needs a bit of detailing and base.

The basic idea is that these chaps missed the Party-on-Prospero and have since re-evaluated their goals in life, there's a whole load of writey stuff on my blog if anyone fancies a look.

Since it takes longer than forever for me to put plastic stuff together, then fill, then file, then fill again only to realise I've used the wrong parts ............ I'm getting some Ion Age 15mm Prydians ready to play the part of some (Loyalist?) Iron Warriors, or Death Guard, or someone else. I'm also making a 15mm scale Rhino out of cork and plasticard (because it's a very cute apc) which is proving to be good fun!

Thanks for looking.

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2017, 09:50:00 AM »
I like him a lot!
I am going to build a wargames army, a big beautiful wargames army, and Mexico is going to pay for it.

2019 Painting Challenge :
figures bought: 500+
figures painted: 57
9 vehicles painted
4 terrain pieces scratchbuilt

Offline Grumbledook

• Scientist
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2017, 04:20:31 PM »
Cheers vodkafan, I'm still umming and ahhhhing over how mucky he should look so I've put him to the side for a while.

In the meantime, however, I've been trawling through my 15mm drawer for my Iron Warriors project and found this lot:

The soldiers are Ion Age Prydian Retained troops and the Dreadnought is a modified Warmachine light warjack, not quite sure which one but I think he fits the bill. The dread was modified with a Skitarii head, a Genestealer Cults mining laser and a powerfist - still needs a fair bit of work but you get the idea.

And the beginnings of the first of my scratchbuilt rhino's.

Thanks for looking.

Online Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2017, 05:30:59 PM »
Nice marine.

Good luck with the rhino, look forward to seeing the finished vehicle.

Offline Grumbledook

• Scientist
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2017, 08:53:13 AM »
Cheers.

I've cut out some more Rhino bits but I just need to man up and glue them on.

Here's a finished squad of Iron Warriors:

I'm also painting up a sample 28mm marine as a Death Guard. Trying to go from a yellowy brown up to a bone white for the main colour and I'm looking forward to playing with corrosion and muck which I've never relly tried before. Will post a pic once I've done some more.

Thanks for looking.

Offline Ockman

• Mastermind
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2017, 10:30:07 AM »

Wow, cool! The orange-clad miniature, is that from Khurasan's spy-fi series?

Cheers.

I've cut out some more Rhino bits but I just need to man up and glue them on.

Here's a finished squad of Iron Warriors:

I'm also painting up a sample 28mm marine as a Death Guard. Trying to go from a yellowy brown up to a bone white for the main colour and I'm looking forward to playing with corrosion and muck which I've never relly tried before. Will post a pic once I've done some more.

Thanks for looking.

Love what you've done with the Ion Age minis, will definitely get some for my 15mm gaming project (that is, when I've reduced my lead mountain somewhat...)

Offline Grumbledook

• Scientist
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2017, 04:42:22 PM »
Cheers Ockman, the orange guy is indeed from the Khurasan spy-fi range. I bought a few packs of them a couple of years ago and I gave them the role of Imperial Guard (in classic jumpsuit style), great models as always.

Latest larking is 28mm again. My attention deficit once again cropped up and I grew bored of the pre Magnus Thousand Son, it looked fine but just not that interesting. Instead I'm going to have a go at some 30k Death Guard, they might be more fun to paint and I'm going to try a looser painting style and not be quite so tight and tidy. Also I get to have a go at really dirtying them up.

Here's the base layer:

I've had a go at starting with a yellowy brown and going up to a bone white instead of the usual white. I recently read a great piece of advice which I found quite inspiring when painting and converting marines. It said to treat each figure as an individual personality with their own history as opposed to seeing them as a mass of carbon copies. So, I've resolved to create a squad in which each figure will be converted to some extent and here's the first:

Thanks for looking.

Online Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2017, 08:25:10 PM »
Excellent​.

Offline Suber

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2017, 08:39:42 AM »
Really nice, looking forward to the rest of the squad.

Offline Reed

• Mad Scientist
  • Once bought, must be painted.
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2017, 05:29:35 PM »
I'm looking forward to see more 15mms

Offline Grumbledook

• Scientist
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2017, 11:25:38 PM »
Thanks for the kind words folks.

Have done a bit more 28mm stuff but today it's a project update on the 15mm Rhino:

Okay, the little chap's a bit wonky but I have a pretty low patience threshold for scratchbuilding (particularly with plasticard since I never manage to cut anything straight or square). There's still bits to do like the rear, roof hatches and exhausts but the tracks and wheels were what I was dreading so I'm glad they're out of the way.

Thanks for looking

P.S. In additional 15mm news; I'm starting to organise a bunch of baddies (in the form of Ion Age Khanate - evil/chaotic stand-in's by my reckoning) as well as some more Iron Warriors. I want more tanks too.

Offline Grumbledook

• Scientist
« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2017, 02:14:48 PM »
Finally got a bit more work done on my Death Guard:

Had my first real go at weathering and pait chipping and am reasonably satisfied with the results, any suggestions and advice are more than welcome! I did find the chipping a bit of a struggle and any tips to make it look better would be great. I'm pleased with the armour colour, almost the colour of nicotine and coffee stained teeth.

He still needs some work on the base as well as maybe a little soot and mud.

Thanks for looking.

Online Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2017, 03:03:13 PM »
That Rhino is looking good.

Offline Grumbledook

• Scientist
« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2017, 06:17:53 PM »
Cheers, it's getting there gradually! It's currently always on the table so I can do bits when I'm in the mood.

I just got the Shadow War book so I'm trying to lavish some attention on my 28mm mountain!

Offline 3 fingers

• Mastermind
« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2017, 09:40:17 PM »
Great ideas,kind of like a feudal world.