Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 05:31:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Leviathan!  (Read 7046 times)

Offline leutenantbrittan

• Librarian
Leviathan!
« on: February 22, 2009, 05:01:23 PM »
Hi!

Ive been out of gaming for a while but recently found my copy of the Leviathan rulebook and got a bit nostalgic! Hence I have started up a Leviathan blog to try and raise some interest in a bit of a forgotten gem of a game!

At present theres not too much there but I plan on adding more pics of my forces as I go!

http://leviathanwar.blogspot.com/

I am mid way through painting an titanosaur for my orc khan to ride into battle on and theres some WIP pics on the blog although in hindsight the beast is presently looking like a cross between a portly reptilian leopard and picachoo...

Also Scotia Grendel, the company that produces the game and miniatures are apparently going to be running a painting competition soon which should be fun as there are far too few pics of the range online at present!

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
Re: Leviathan!
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2009, 05:37:18 PM »
I really, really liked their style. I´ve still got one of the harpoon tanks and one of those dwarven golems which I´d like to repaint some time, but never got around stripping them of the old paint.

The figures were less appealing to me, but nicely done as well.

Offline leutenantbrittan

• Librarian
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2009, 05:55:00 PM »
Yeah thats the general consensus. The big stuff is nicely done while the infantry is a bit poor. I am using Heartbreaker and old citadel miniatures for my orcs (pleasingly oldschool and in keeping with the general look of the resin goodness) My dwarves are a mixture of Heartbreaker, Black Tree Design and citadel.

I have a batch of Chronopia sons of Kronos painted up as my barbarians (alas they are still at m folks house at the other end of the country!)

I am hoping to stat up some of the other Grendel stuff for use with Leviathan, especially the MK2 dwarf war golems! The pics they have on the website look good but they only have 2 of the 7 designs pictured.

If anyone has any pics of the miniatures that I can add to the blog or Forge/Anvil magazine articles that they would be willing to scan would also be very handy!

Offline leutenantbrittan

• Librarian
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2009, 09:12:48 AM »
Hi!

Heres a quick pic of the orc Titanosaur from Scotia Grendel that I am working on at present. Theres a little bit of conversion work on the howdah and I've added spikes to his tail and collar but otherwise its pretty much the same miniature I got out of the box!

Theres some really nice reptilian textured skin on the beast and its got tons of character (not to mention being huge! Hes on a 15cm long base!)

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2009, 10:41:49 AM »
WOW Great job :o
Lovely painting :-*
A very nasty looking beastie.

Offline Alxbates

• Mad Scientist
    • Forge of Ice on Faceboook!
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2009, 12:55:49 PM »
Lovely paintjob and conversion! 

Offline leutenantbrittan

• Librarian
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2009, 08:22:45 PM »
HI!

Heres my entry to the Scotia Grendel painting competition:

Another nice big piece of kit, this time a Necrosaur with howdah mounted harpoon!

Offline Ramshackle_Curtis

• Mastermind
    • http://www.ramshacklegames.co.uk/
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2009, 11:28:53 PM »
Nice work,. I especially like the fantastic paint job! Top marks.

Offline rob_alderman

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Dribbling wreck...
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2009, 11:39:06 PM »
Excellent, you know if the rules are still available anywhere?  :)

How much better are they than WFB, that system is awful but it's the only mass battle fantasy game that is easily found... I hate it!

Offline leutenantbrittan

• Librarian
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2009, 08:43:34 AM »
Hi!

The rulebook is still available from Scotia Grendel in the UK, Spirit Games also stock it. It also turns up on ebay quite a bit.

The rulebook background is excellent (Its written by William King, the author of the Gortek and Felix books) The rules themselves are quite well written and well worth a look.

The game was developed by the team that also produced Chronopia so the background for both share some similarities although Leviathan is more post apocalyptic.

I am currently compiling a list of errata for the current edition of the rules (scotia are planning on developing a second edition over the next couple of years) I have to admit I havent had chance to play a game as yet but once Ive painted up a couple of smallish forces I will get in some practice before taking it to my local games club.

Hope that helps!

Offline rob_alderman

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Dribbling wreck...
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2009, 11:21:57 AM »
Hey man,
so what's an average sized force? I imagine I'd have to buy two...  ::)

Offline leutenantbrittan

• Librarian
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2009, 01:55:40 PM »
Hi!

You can probably start off with a single character and two units of infantry (5-10 per unit) per side. My orcs started off with 1 orc hero, 5 orcs with spears, 6 goblins with hand weapons and 7 goblin archers. I now have 2000 points worth of orc horde which cost me about £80. The dwarf force I am working on will cost about the same. Its a pleasing mix of really big monsters and small units of infantry.

The only real problem at present is the fact that the infantry miniatures are a bit rubbish but can easily be replaced with better stuff (my orcs are a mixture of heartbreaker and old GW, others are planning on using GW plastics, my dwarves are likewise heartbreaker and GW while my barbarians are Grenadier and Chronopia) Also some of the elven warbeasts (namely their cavalry) are a bit poor looking but can easily be substituted by GW plastic cold ones!

Its worth starting small with just infantry and a single character then build up with a unit of cavalry then add warbeasts and engines of destruction. I am working on some introductory scenarios which start small and work up to large pitched battles!

Heres a link to the Scotia grendel forum which has all the errata as well as details on new units and assorted gubbins:

http://scotiagrendel.forumcircle.com/index.php

Also heres the Scotia grendel website:

http://www.scotiagrendel.com/

They have an offer where if you spend £50+ on leviathan miniatures you get the rulebook for free! They are also working on producing a freely available PDF download of the book which is very handy...

Offline dusser

• Librarian
    • http://hodgepodgelodger.blogspot.com/
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2009, 04:29:53 PM »
FYI
Just thought you might like to know that Mega Miniatures is clearing out the rest of their Grendel products, I think many of the figures were from the Leviathan game.

http://stores.shop.ebay.com/MegaMiniatures_GRENDEL-sceney_W0QQ_fsubZ271771011QQ_sidZ2577791QQ_trksidZp4634Q2ec0Q2em322

I don't play Leviathan, but have some of the stuff from it.  I just picked up a bunch from this sale, wish I could get more.   ;D

Offline leutenantbrittan

• Librarian
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2009, 09:17:13 PM »
Hi!

Thanks for the link! Its not only provided me with the remaining images of the dwarf wargolems and vortex spelleating machine but also got me to place an order for some stuff!

I now have some heavy firepower for my dwarves in the form of two golems, a black thunder (Armed with two heavy cannon) and a firestorm (armed with rocket launchers!)

Nice!

Oh and Leviathan is well worth a look (even if its just for the setting and background!)

Offline leutenantbrittan

• Librarian
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2009, 12:57:01 PM »
Hi!

Just a quick update! Ive posted some pics and reviews for a ton of stuff Ive just got from the chaps at Scotia Grendel on my blog ranging from the Eye of Gorath (A gigantic, angry orc with horns) to some assorted orc warbeasts!

Ive got a load more stuff to add but it will have to wait till Ive got some uni work done!

All the best!