Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 09:05:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689637
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Dresden Files appropriate figures?  (Read 4457 times)

Offline obsidian3d

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • o2media
Dresden Files appropriate figures?
« on: January 17, 2017, 03:16:56 AM »
I was wondering if anyone knows of any  28-35mm figures that could be used to represent Harry and some of his allies and villains?
obsidian3d
www.o2media.ca

Offline Keeper Nilbog

• Scientist
Re: Dresden Files appropriate figures?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2017, 09:12:14 AM »
Reaper do a figure in a coat and hat, with a staff and torch (which is fairly easy to modify) that would work for Harry.

Offline palaeomerus

• Scientist
  • " We've Got Movement!"
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2017, 11:28:14 PM »
Harry doesn't wear a hat though. Jim Butcher has long complained about his cover artist making with the detective hats. He claims he made SURE to mention that Captain Grimm the Aeronaut in the Aeronaut's Windlass DOES wear an ornate hat as matter of habit, is rarely seen without it, yet on the novel's cover he is shown bare headed.

He wears a western duster coat, a silver pentacle pendant. He carries a staff as both a club and a magical aid. He sometimes carries a revolver since a magician's presence often interfere with more complicated machinery and cause it to malfunction. He drives old simple cars without electronics for much the same reason. He keeps his hair cut short and doesn't do beards or mustaches but misses a few shaves here and there. He generally wears blue-jeans and boots. Shirt varies often based on where he is in his laundry schedule.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 11:31:51 PM by palaeomerus »

Offline obsidian3d

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • o2media
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2017, 06:17:09 PM »
I was thinking that the not-Carter from Hasslefree could make a good Murphy.

Offline supervike

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • supervike's stuff
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2017, 01:14:06 AM »

I think this would be a good basis to start with.  You'd have to add the pendant. 

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2017, 11:02:00 AM »
I would suggest Hasslefree's Sadie, swapping the Mac for Murphy's "chocolate box" (also available from Hasslefree).

« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 11:03:39 AM by Ultravanillasmurf »

Offline agent_pumpkin

• Bookworm
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 05:35:45 PM by agent_pumpkin »

Offline Grimmnar

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2017, 05:09:41 AM »
Harry doesn't wear a hat though. Jim Butcher has long complained about his cover artist making with the detective hats. He claims he made SURE to mention that Captain Grimm the Aeronaut in the Aeronaut's Windlass DOES wear an ornate hat as matter of habit, is rarely seen without it, yet on the novel's cover he is shown bare headed.

He wears a western duster coat, a silver pentacle pendant. He carries a staff as both a club and a magical aid. He sometimes carries a revolver since a magician's presence often interfere with more complicated machinery and cause it to malfunction. He drives old simple cars without electronics for much the same reason. He keeps his hair cut short and doesn't do beards or mustaches but misses a few shaves here and there. He generally wears blue-jeans and boots. Shirt varies often based on where he is in his laundry schedule.
For a man that states Harry doesn't wear a hat there are an awful lots of pics of Harry in hats.
See at least six book covers of the like. Shouldn't the author have some say in what the cover will look like?
And I ask this knowing that Dresden doesn't wear hats. Just a bit of irony I guess.

Grimm

Offline Lovejoy

• Mad Scientist
    • Oathsworn Miniatures
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2017, 08:17:15 AM »
Shouldn't the author have some say in what the cover will look like?

The author apparently asked that question too, and was told that they were books about a 'detective wizard' and in cover pics 'wizard' equals 'staff' and 'detective' equals 'hat', so that's what they were doing...

As for minis, I've contacted Jim Butcher's agent twice to ask about doing a licensed line, but I've never had a reply. I made a Harry sculpt for myself though!

cheers
Michael

Offline Steve F

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Pedantic bugger, apparently.
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2017, 08:48:33 AM »
Very nice sculpt.  I suppose the advantage of just doing it for yourself is that you don't have to compromise a dynamic pose for ease of casting.

Offline Lovejoy

• Mad Scientist
    • Oathsworn Miniatures
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2017, 09:24:34 AM »
Very nice sculpt.  I suppose the advantage of just doing it for yourself is that you don't have to compromise a dynamic pose for ease of casting.
Cheers! Technically, he's castable in 3 pieces; but I really don't like multipart metals, so yeah, he'd be posed differently if sculpted for full production. A stronger contact point with the base for a start!  :D

Offline S J Donovan

• Scientist
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2017, 12:50:09 AM »
http://recreationalconflict.com has a Dresden figure
Find it under Lead Bones single figures bottom of the page.

Offline obsidian3d

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • o2media
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2017, 06:46:57 PM »
Lovejoy, that is a great looking model. Have you painted it yet? I'd be curious to see it next to some other figures in your collection.

Offline Lovejoy

• Mad Scientist
    • Oathsworn Miniatures
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2017, 09:21:15 AM »
Lovejoy, that is a great looking model. Have you painted it yet? I'd be curious to see it next to some other figures in your collection.

No, sorry - he's still lying around in a box somewhere... a victim of my endlessly changing project ideas!  :D

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2017, 01:03:26 PM »
The author apparently asked that question too, and was told that they were books about a 'detective wizard' and in cover pics 'wizard' equals 'staff' and 'detective' equals 'hat', so that's what they were doing...

As for minis, I've contacted Jim Butcher's agent twice to ask about doing a licensed line, but I've never had a reply. I made a Harry sculpt for myself though!

cheers
Michael

Nice sculpt.