Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 03:55:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690886
  • Total Topics: 118356
  • Online Today: 884
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Samurai Castle Terrain (SCB3 The Keep) released  (Read 4002 times)

Offline Papierschnitzel

• Scientist
    • Papierschnitzel
Samurai Castle Terrain (SCB3 The Keep) released
« on: January 19, 2017, 03:09:55 PM »
Hi guys,

just wanted to let you know that I have finally finished and released the third installment of the Samurai Castle Builder series: The Keep

This modular set allows you to build your feudal Japan era castle up to five stories high (and it is not difficult to build higher if you mod the kit and have the terrain space :D) and choose from a variety of outside and inside textures.

As this is such a huge building (the largest level is 14"x12" floor space) you have the option of building the parts "fold-flat" style, where you are able to assemble and disassemble for easy and safe storage. The parts built this way are very sturdy and make a library of parts which you could also use for a huge castle dungeon crawler.

If you are interested you can get it here: http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/203177/Samurai-Castle-Builder-Keep

To celebrate this release (I have been working on these Japanese models for about a year now) I am have these discounts available until the end of the month (JAN 2017) on all my feudal Japan sets.
Bridges and Lanterns now for $1.00 http://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse.php?discount=9866552b43
SCB1 Tower now for $4.00http://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse.php?discount=98561a7c95
SCB2 Gates and Walls now for $5.00 http://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse.php?discount=9853939c35
SCB3 Keep now for $7.50 http://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse.php?discount=98570110eb

Enjoy!
Chris

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
    • WK's Miniature Imperium
Re: Samurai Castle Terrain (SCB3 The Keep) released
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2017, 08:59:21 PM »
What does it mean when it says "watermarked pdf" as the available format?

Offline Papierschnitzel

• Scientist
    • Papierschnitzel
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2017, 06:42:33 AM »
The vendor site adds some small marker to the pdf files, so that if you start reselling it on the black market you could be traced as the culprit.

something like this.

I have test downloaded the files and found no markers, but maybe that is because I am the publisher.

Offline Arteis

• Scientist
    • My 'Dressing the Lines' blog
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2017, 07:55:32 AM »
How does it work?  Do you print it out on normal A4 sheets? I imagine the keep must be quite a lot of $4 sheets! Also, I presume you print it on light card rather than on paper?

Roly Hermans
Paraparaumu, New Zealand

Offline Papierschnitzel

• Scientist
    • Papierschnitzel
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2017, 08:40:00 AM »
The full set is 16 PDF files with 69 pages (if I counted correctly :D) but I guess you will not need all of them. I have added all variations of length etc for all possible modules you could want. Think of it like a LEGO set and you pick the bricks you want to build with.

The PDF is designed to work both for international A4 and US Letter format. I recommend using at least 160gsm paper (regular office paper is 80gsm). But for the walls and floor you could go up to 300gsm paper.

You have the choice to just print and build the outsides (1 layer of paper, maybe 2 for the larger than one page parts) or you could also build the interior and undersides (of the roofs).

I have added layers in the pdf files for "fold-flat" building. That is you build modules that you can assemble and disassemble again and then but into a box for safe storage. These modules are made out of 3 layers. The middle layer has recessed areas where the flaps of the neighboring parts are inserted. The outer layers hold the parts by friction. It is a simple but very well working solution. The modules I have built using 300gsm paper/cardboard are very sturdy and feel like they will hold a lifetime  :D Making this approach a useful path to building a library of reuseable and redesignable parts. You are able to build rectangular or square buildings.

The only part I have not done fold-flat is the top roof. It could be done (once you have seen and understood the method you can fold-flat almost anything) but I think it would not be as nice as just a glued version.

Compared to alternatives like MDF or resin kits, I believe my version is very affordable and expandable. The pro is, you can build as many modules as you like in different looks. The con of course is YOU have to build them :-) But in my experience the parts are quite easy to build. I design them with this in mind.

Does this help?

Offline Arteis

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2017, 09:39:00 AM »
Thanks for the answer. It sounds intriguing. Is it possible to get a shot of a couple of printed-out sheets to get an idea of what they look like when printed, before they are cut-out? 

I love the interior effect you've done, with the painted screens. Reminds me of the 'Shogun' series.

Offline Papierschnitzel

• Scientist
    • Papierschnitzel
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2017, 11:12:10 AM »
Yes, the Shogun series inspired me to all of this. Hai, Toranaga-sama!!!  :D

Sure, of course I can show some samples. This is one page from the outside walls file. Check the layers which are active and which are not. You can switch everything on and off as you need. I have the registration marks on. You will need this when you use an automated cutter.

This is the basic "Himeji" texture activated (with cut and fold lines)

And here the same page but with the fold lines deactivated (which I usually do, when I do a nice build. Mostly it is clear where the score lines go and if not I have a hint layer that will give you outside marks for scoring)

This is with the Osaka texture on ...

And then you have the Matsumoto texture, if you rather prefer this style (For the roofs I have different colors, gray, light green, blue, red; for the wood there is lighter and darker wood etc.)

And then you have the fold-flat layer giving you the middle shape (therefore no texture as it is between outside and inside wall part)

Offline Arteis

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2017, 11:25:39 AM »
Thanks.  I've just now paid for and downloaded the whole package.

Offline Papierschnitzel

• Scientist
    • Papierschnitzel
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2017, 01:39:19 PM »
WoW, thx. If you have questions or ideas just let me know  :)

Offline Cait Sidhe

• Scientist
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2017, 01:49:48 PM »
Nice, been waiting on this being finished and released. Already picked it up, cheers.  :)

Offline Mad Gadgeteer

• Scientist
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2017, 05:28:21 PM »
Yes, the Shogun series inspired me to all of this. Hai, Toranaga-sama!!!  :D

So...is your model based on Hikone Castle? Sort of looks more like Himeji Castle to me.  ;)

Have a question...

Attached is one of your photos I swiped from one of your TMP post in regard to the Keep. On the right is a small structure with green roof, in the middle is what I assume is the Keep. You will also notice two red lines I drew in. Is the green roofed structure the same structure that makes up the part sandwiched between the red lines?

Hopefully you will have my order for the whole set in just a bit.

"May the dice of your God's roll like the breasts of your favorite concubine."  Graeme "Henry" Henderson, Dumfries c1980

Offline Papierschnitzel

• Scientist
    • Papierschnitzel
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2017, 06:07:47 PM »
The keep I built (the one in the middle) is inspired by Himeji. I know Shogun was also filmed in Hikone castle and the interior scene was from another (can't remember the name right now). I actually like them all  :)

The green castle on the right is the first prototype I built 10 years ago, when I made after I completed the Japanese Temple set
[imghttp://www.papierschnitzel.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/DSC05179.jpg[/img]

It (the green castle) basically represents the same top three levels of the current keep. Back then - for various reasons - I decided to have the roof be more flat.

Then I was working 10 years on business projects (I meanwhile handed over the green unfinished prototype to Mauther of papermau blog where he released it as it was) and decided to come back to paper modeling last year to complete this dream. When I researched the roofs I found that they were not accurate and tried a couple of other variations until I settled on the one I have now. I think it is quite accurate to the real roof design yet easy enough to build.

I was working on prototypes for actually curved corners but decided to focus on the easy build for now. Maybe if there is enough interest I can make a free update later with the curved corners roof.

So a long journey in the making  :D but very happy with the result now!

Now that the dust of release is settling I am remembering little things (stairs, interior doors) I have forgotten, which you can expect in the coming days and weeks that will be added to the set (you will receive email notification automatically when you bought it and can then download)...

Chris

Offline Mad Gadgeteer

• Scientist
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2017, 06:26:40 PM »
I really like all of them too!

Noticed the lack of actually curved roof eaves but the curved spines help create the illusion.

I live in Kansas in a really small town, less than 1,400 people. In a town this small it's interesting that we bought a house, built around 1895, wherein the designer had it built with a roof of the then popular Japanese esthetic. It has the gentle sloping, high pitch, deep eaves found on classical Japanese design. It's the only house with a roof like this in town; and that it's in rural Kansas just makes it that more special - at least to me.

I'm converting the attic into a hobby/gaming room. The way the curvature of the roof eaves was built is so fascinating that I'm going to incorporate a way so it can be seen after the hobby room is finished.

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
    • WK's Miniature Imperium
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2017, 08:28:16 PM »
And ordered, along with the tower, asian temple and japanese garden. ;D

Offline Mad Gadgeteer

• Scientist
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2017, 02:47:41 PM »
Is there a link to the Asian Temple?

I tried searching under "Papierschnitzel" and all that kept coming up were rules.