Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:56:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686596
  • Total Topics: 118110
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Yet another aeronef build thread (build complete: 3/21/09)  (Read 25394 times)

Offline Mancha

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Hinterland Miniatures
Yet another aeronef build thread (build complete: 3/21/09)
« on: February 22, 2009, 11:00:05 PM »
Man, I've been loving watching these various aeronefs come together.  So when I found myself at the local hobby shop the other day, I couldn't resist throwing down $29 for various blocks of balsa wood and sheets of plastic.  Here's the beginning of my first ever build thread on the LAF.  I'm hoping that starting it publically will force me to finish the project.

The supplies:

Using an elaborate system of rewards and punishments, I promised myself the first beer after completeing the under-hull.  Boy, was I to regret this decision.  Here's the beginning of that structure, with a pleasant shape penciled in:

Sanding balsa wood sure is easy, and in just twenty minutes I had the basic shape:

Whew, I was looking forward to that first beer, so I jumped into sheathing the shape in plastic, assuming I'd have a buzz pretty soon.  Alas, the sheating process took forever:

Although I've started working on the upper hull's shape, I worry that my first-beer buzz will have worn off by the time I reach a new resting point.  Wish me luck for a fast process.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2009, 02:12:35 AM by Mancha »

Offline Chairface

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Yet another aeronef build thread
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2009, 11:06:03 PM »
So far so good! Go drink some more and come up with the next step!

Offline answer_is_42

• Mastermind
  • Mostly Harmless.
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2009, 11:24:08 PM »
Looking good!

Where is the chap in the fez from?
I told you so. You damned fools.
 - H.G. Wells

Offline Mancha

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Hinterland Miniatures
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2009, 12:13:21 AM »
Where is the chap in the fez from?

Brigade Miniatures.  He's part of a set of five pulp archeologists and helpers, including diggers.  Great set!

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • All to all, by my mustard!
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2009, 12:31:24 AM »
Welcome to the insanity. Next thing you know, you too will have a fleet, and a wish to travel over great distances just to get a game in with some of these Aeronefs.
"There is no known cure for the wargaming virus, only treatments with ever increasing doses of metal."

Offline Mancha

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Hinterland Miniatures
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2009, 01:57:58 AM »
Welcome to the insanity. Next thing you know, you too will have a fleet, and a wish to travel over great distances just to get a game in with some of these Aeronefs.

I don't know about that: I tend to make/paint one of something and then move on to something else.  In fact, I'm concerned about keeping momentum on this project through to the end.  So here's more...

Here's the upper hull roughed out.  Time for that second beer, I mean..."reward":

Already two-thirds of the way through my rewards, I decided I'd better make a trip for supplies, including more...um...rewards, some LEGO for parts (which ended up not working--my son did good in the LEGO department this week), and more super glue:

I'm gonna try to do something interesting with an aft engine room.  In anticipation, here's a huge gaping hole:

And this is what the two large parts look like together:

Uh oh, just got a call from the gilrfriend and she's on her way over.  This is good for me ( ;)), but bad for anyone looking for quick updates to the build ( :().

Offline Hitman

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2009, 02:40:18 AM »
Great job so far, but I'm thinking, one more beer and your performance would have been hampered!! Either way if you know what I mean!! ;)
Victory is guaranteed to the last man standing, but always remember those whom you stepped on to get there!!

Offline Mancha

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Hinterland Miniatures
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2009, 02:46:36 AM »
Great job so far, but I'm thinking, one more beer and your performance would have been hampered!!

You're probably right.  Be on the lookout for the "Xacto wound--build delayed" posting.

Offline Ramshackle_Curtis

• Mastermind
    • http://www.ramshacklegames.co.uk/
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2009, 08:16:36 AM »
Im not sure how the beer is going to be used on the project, other than for lubrication of spirit!

I find I cant drink and model make, my skills go down the drain after he first 500ml....

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2009, 08:31:37 AM »
Beer is good for the soul. :D

The model is coming together nicely :)
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Mancha

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Hinterland Miniatures
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2009, 08:16:05 AM »
Probably due to too many rewards yesterday, I made a discouraging error on the under hull:

So I abandoned that part of the project for the time being, drank a beer, and moved on to other things.  None of what I got done today over hours of effort really resulted in any kind of finished product, so here's some along-the-way shots. 

Got the rest of the model roughed out:

Here's a closeup of the command bridge, underway (I've been wanting to use these deodorant tops for the longest time!):

And the under-hull is partially rivetted:

I'm also working on some doors, fixing the upper hull, and continuing to rivet things; man, rivetting takes for ever!

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
Re: Yet another aeronef build thread (new pics: 2/24/09, early am)
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2009, 09:06:10 AM »
Ah... the trials and tribulations of scratch building...  o_o

I think she is coming out looking very cool.  Looking forward to seeing her progress!

Offline Chairface

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2009, 02:58:00 AM »
Definitely! So far so good!

Offline Mancha

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Hinterland Miniatures
Re: Yet another aeronef build thread (new pics: 2/25/09, early am)
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2009, 07:32:32 AM »
Well, after my beer/sanding misshap of a couple days ago, it was definately time to stop avoiding the problem and rectify my error.  I rummaged around among my ancient modelling supplies until I found my literally decades-old tube of Squadron green putty.  Not completely stonelike yet, I nevertheless had to slice open the tube with my x-acto knife to extract any.  This didn't go far, so a trip to the hobby shop was in order, where I purchased a new tube of putty, some spray primer, and a new bottle of plastic cement, as I've been practically licking the bottom of my old bottle to get any.  Total cost of the project so far: Almost $45.

I slathered the hull in green putty, including where I'd sanded through to wood, where my imperfect joints had left gaps, and where my course-paper sanding had scratched the plastic. 

Then I went to work--by which I mean the place where I'm employed and earn money to buy this useless stuff.  When I returned home hours later I got to work (by which I mean with the sanding block) on the hull.  Et-voila!  I love Squadron green putty!  Seeing all those little streaks and puddles of green after the sanding process makes me feel like my time was well spent!

My other achievements of the day included more rivets on the under-hull, a smoke stack, and some detail work on the command bridge:

Here's a detail shot of the smoke stack and doors so far:

I intend to add portholes to the doors, and placed an order to Reverisco (from whom I've never ordered before) for portholes, ladders, those wicked cool ventilation stacks (what's an aeronef without ventilation stacks?!), and a small gun (intending to build a large forward mounted gun myself).  Total cost of project so far: $75!!!  Thank God I'm now divorced or I'd be getting divorced.

Regarding the smoke stack: I love the shape of the top, achieved by sanding out the base of a super glue container.  Unfortunately, the super glue base is constructed of soft platic, which burrs up when sanded, and similarly resist efforts to cut.  If I can't get rid of the burrs, I may have to chuck the top.  Any ideas for treating soft plastic?  I've tried dunking it in plastic cement, hoping the burrs would "melt" off, but no luck.  Why doesn't anyone make smoke stack finials???

That's all for tonight.  In the next couple days I intend to work on the prow, make doors for the under-hull, finish up the command bridge, rivet the upper hull, make an engine room roof right behind the smoke stack, make the forward gun and mount, and make a tail-section, made up of WWI-like wings, which idea I blatantly copied from one of the other aeronef threads.  Wow, and I thought I was getting close to done!  Ciao.

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2009, 08:29:43 AM »
Looking great so far.
For cleaning up the soft plastic I have used a brand new blade on my craft knife and very carefully cut off the rough bits. Not a great solution but the only way I could get to work.
Are you going to explain what the square hole in the deck is for.