Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 08:18:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Space, My New 28mm Frontier (Jan. 12: pics recovered & 2 pics of final project)  (Read 40786 times)

Offline War In 15MM

• Scatterbrained Genius
Since completing my Gangsters “And Stuff” collection I have been working on my next 28mm project which was inspired by Firefly/Serenity with a healthy dose of Star Wars thrown in for good measure.  The main focus of this layout will be an Eavesdown Docks-style environment with a wide mixture of races, cultures and technologies.  Most of my spacecraft will be ships marketed with the Star Wars films plus a few from Star Trek, Space 1999, Thunderbirds and even the pig from Toy Story.  My goal with this posting is to undertake something I have not been able carry through with in the past… an ongoing posting of the figures I will be using in this collection as I get them painted.  I going to start with three spaceship crews all made up from Heroclix figures.  I hope to have this collection done (figures, buildings, vehicles and spacecraft) around June of 2017… we’ll see.  If you haven’t seen one of my layouts/galleries in the past and consequently have no idea where I will be taking this project, my Victorian city will give you an idea of the kind of project I am talking about.  You can see the Victorian city at www.warin15mm.com/Victorian-Gallery.html  

« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 09:59:11 PM by War In 15MM »

Offline supervike

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • supervike's stuff
Re: Space, My New 28mm Frontier
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2017, 11:47:10 PM »
Great start to an ambitious project.

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2017, 12:12:13 AM »
Have been following around to many boards and many projects, and I have to wonder when  you need to change you 'nick.'

Hell of a lot of awesome stuff in 28mm; CASE IN POINT.  :-*

Aren't you afraid of 'one true scale' backlash?  lol

Doug

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2017, 12:43:13 AM »
Hell of a lot of awesome stuff in 28mm

lol

It's true, awesome stuff. Looking forward to seeing this project develop!
a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice.
Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza

Offline War In 15MM

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2017, 12:47:32 AM »
supervike, I am confident that the collection will be completed... I've been pretty good at carrying through with that, but I seem to fall down on these efforts on my part to show the progress I am making in stages.  Going to give it another try.  The_Beast, I can't argue with you about the nickname no longer being a light on what I do.  That's the reason I include "28mm" when I post one of my 28mm galleries or projects.  That said I still love the 15s and 15s are my focus when doing military/historical collections, and after nearly a decade of being War In 15MM I'm just comfortable with it... backlash and all.  Richard

Offline War In 15MM

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2017, 12:56:53 AM »
Thank you Dr.  I think this one will be good for some laughs...  lots of crazy figures and spacecraft to work with, and I'm taking advantage of the eclectic nature of an Eavesdown Docks type of environment to bring in a lot of great stuff I couldn't find other places for.  As envisioned right now this one will be two 5 ft. x 7 ft tables with at least 12 docked spacecraft, a small military base, a town with buildings by Monolith Design and Snapdragon among others, a spaceship interior as well as a Star Wars' style cantina interior, and every figures I can find any justification to include.  Should be a fun ride.

Offline Predatorpt

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Sci-Fi blog - Task Force Thor
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2017, 01:02:07 AM »
...As envisioned right now this one will be two 5 ft. x 7 ft tables with at least 12 docked spacecraft, a small military base, a town with buildings by Monolith Design and Snapdragon among others, a spaceship interior as well as a Star Wars' style cantina interior, and every figures I can find any justification to include.  Should be a fun ride.

That's the textbook example of "Go big or go home"  :o Can't wait to see this project take shape.

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2017, 03:47:55 AM »
Thank you Dr.  I think this one will be good for some laughs...  lots of crazy figures and spacecraft to work with, and I'm taking advantage of the eclectic nature of an Eavesdown Docks type of environment to bring in a lot of great stuff I couldn't find other places for.  As envisioned right now this one will be two 5 ft. x 7 ft tables with at least 12 docked spacecraft, a small military base, a town with buildings by Monolith Design and Snapdragon among others, a spaceship interior as well as a Star Wars' style cantina interior, and every figures I can find any justification to include.  Should be a fun ride.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but did I read once that you don't game with these massive projects you create?

Offline War In 15MM

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2017, 04:48:31 AM »
Dr. that is correct.  I don't game, but in my defense when I began painting the 15mm military miniatures I believed I was going to be gaming.  My reasons for not gaming probably hinge on one key negative and one very wonderful positive.  The negative is that I just never found the right group of people.  For me the necessary chemistry required the pleasure of the company you were gaming with (a lot of time was going to be spent together) and that probably involved some laughter.  It also required the ability to get into the period whether history or Pulp/Adventure/Victorian Gothic (whatever).  One of the reasons I do such detailed layouts is that I want it to feel right... maybe I just lack imagination so it has to be more real to draw me in.  When a game just becomes rule books and dice I have no interest, and frankly that is what I saw time after time.  Then one day I woke up to the realization of my wonderful positive... I love painting and building and designing the collections and while I am doing that (and it takes years from the collection to the completion) I am playing my own game and loving it.  It's like I putting together a movie.  Anyway, I just never got bitten by the gaming bug, but I found my bliss in doing what I do.  Richard

Offline Andym

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2017, 07:12:09 AM »
Good start! And knowing your projects, this will be amazing!

Offline Sunjester

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2017, 07:20:13 AM »
A great start and I can't wait to see you finished results. Your work is totally inspiring.  :-* I'll never come close to it (and I'm creating layouts for gaming first and foremost), but I've certainly been putting a lot more effort into the "look" of my tables since coming across your site.

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2017, 01:12:43 PM »
...The_Beast, I can't argue with you about the nickname no longer being a light on what I do.  That's the reason I include "28mm" when I post one of my 28mm galleries or projects.  That said I still love the 15s and 15s are my focus when doing military/historical collections, and after nearly a decade of being War In 15MM I'm just comfortable with it... backlash and all.  Richard

Of course, my comment was a tease done in admiration; if you need your back covered during any 'backlash', we're here. I've yet to see even a hint, of course.

...Then one day I woke up to the realization of my wonderful positive... I love painting and building and designing the collections and while I am doing that (and it takes years from the collection to the completion) I am playing my own game and loving it.  It's like I putting together a movie.  Anyway, I just never got bitten by the gaming bug, but I found my bliss in doing what I do.  Richard

And there we have the disconnect. Of course, we've received bliss in seeing what you do.

However, there are those of who try, and fail. Haven't quit yet, mind you, but the ideas that don't get realized are a bit of an annoyance.

On the gaming side, though, I'm lucky to have those I enjoy being around and even losing to.  ;)

Don't play a lot,  but when I do, I cherish the time.

And we ALL dream of seeing your work 'in action.'

Doug

Offline warlord frod

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2017, 03:35:13 PM »
First laet me say I love your work  :-* :-* :-*

... The negative is that I just never found the right group of people.  For me the necessary chemistry required the pleasure of the company you were gaming with (a lot of time was going to be spent together) and that probably involved some laughter.

I feel your pain. When I get asked why I dont just computer game I tell people its because I enjoy the social aspects of gaming with friends. I have been fortunate to find those kinds of people and so get to enjoy gaming with my collection. I have however gone years with out the joy of gaming as well.

When a game just becomes rule books and dice I have no interest, and frankly that is what I saw time after time.  Then one day I woke up to the realization of my wonderful positive... I love painting and building and designing the collections and while I am doing that (and it takes years from the collection to the completion) I am playing my own game and loving it.  It's like I putting together a movie.  Anyway, I just never got bitten by the gaming bug, but I found my bliss in doing what I do.  Richard

This has always been a contention of mine as well. A miniature game should look good! This has been a goal of mine and so I to spend a good deal of time on the "set" as it were. (Mine tend to be much smaller however 3x3 or 4x6 table areas) Your work is amazing and inspiring. I do have one or two questions

First once you have finished a project and photographed it does it ever see the light of day again?

Second how do you safely store your buildings and the like? That has to take up a massive amount of room.  :? Are all you miniatures stored in the wooden boxes pictured in few places and if so how many does it take to store your collection?

Offline War In 15MM

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2017, 03:46:56 PM »
Thanks again.  I really appreciate the appreciation.  I've said this on postings of other galleries I've done but I think I can't say it enough here on LAF.  The work of the members of LAF forum has given not only inspiration because of the great work that is displayed here but like Sunjester I have been encouraged by their work to put more effort into what I do... to look at things more creatively than I might have otherwise.  So posting my projects and galleries is, I hope, some return on all I have received... plus your kind words make me happy.  The_Beast, I never doubted the tease and as far as backlash goes I have only received encouragement for the things I do which is one of the wonderful things about the talented folks on LAF.  My head movie on this space project is rolling and my paint brushes are brushing so I hope to have this project done by June so we can all see it... even though I have this vision or "movie" in my head of what one of these galleries will be, it is always a surprise to me when they come out looking as I have plan.  In the meantime, I hope to keep posting the pieces as I progress, and I hope you will check them out from time to time.  Richard

Offline War In 15MM

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Space, My New 28mm Frontier (Added two new crews)
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2017, 06:09:40 PM »
The first new crew I’m adding is composed of the Foundry Street Violence figures that make up the pack titled Hardwire Troupe.  I really like a lot of the figure groups/packs that make up Street Violence and this one seemed as though it could form a tough little crew who were planning to “misbehave.”  The second crew is an unlikely bunch who obviously come from a planet with a limited gene pool.  A year or so ago I found five of the Heroclix Bouncing Boy figures in the five-for-a-dollar box.  I had no idea how I would put them to use, but I loved the figure and for a dollar I couldn’t pass them up.  When I began my space project I remembered the Judge Dredd figure Fattie with his round shape and supporting wheel, and decided I would form a Fattie-inspired crew.  It wasn’t hard.  I cut a connecting peg from a Lego block and used it as the belly base for the wheel.  I cut a small square of Evergreen Plastic to sit on the Lego belly base and act as the divider for the Evergreen Plastic struts that supported the wheel.  I then used wheels off little plastic cars I got at the swap meet for 50 cents each.  The goggles are small pieces of plastic rod from Plastruct Plastic, the eye patch is Squadron Green Putty, and the weapons and equipment are from my odds-and-ends stash of stuff.  The modified Bouncing Boys will probably crew my Toy Story Piggy Bank spaceship, but that’s for another posting.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 08:19:36 PM by War In 15MM »