Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 05:08:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690828
  • Total Topics: 118354
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Space, My New 28mm Frontier (Jan. 12: pics recovered & 2 pics of final project)  (Read 40876 times)

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
Re: Space, My New 28mm Frontier (Added two new crews)
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2017, 08:29:36 PM »
Whoa, great idea.

I used a Heroclix 'Blob' for a fatty, never thought to use that guy. Love your bellywheel idea. This is going to be a pretty amazing endeavor by the looks of it...
« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 08:31:21 PM by Dr Mathias »
a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice.
Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza

Offline War In 15MM

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Space, My New 28mm Frontier (Added two new crews)
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2017, 04:02:03 PM »
Dr., thanks for continuing to play along with me.  I'll try to keep it interesting or at least regular.  I'm glad you like the Bouncing Boy crew.  It's a little off the wall, but I really like it and it was fun to do... also a really nice little figure from Heroclix.  I'm considering my options right now in terms of what to post next.  I've been working on a group of the East Riding Corporate War figures that I really like and appear to me to be great figures for an Alliance or Blue Sun security team.  Also, I fell in love with Alex Bews' Galaxy Council (I'm sure I'm not alone there), so I'll be working on ambassadors to such a council in transit through this frontier space port I'm putting together.  My painting is in no way in the same league with Alex, but I love the idea so I'll take my best shot with them.  I've picked up some of his Astropolis figures (great figures), Reaper, Warhammer 40k, Privateer Press/Warmachine & Iron Kingdoms, plus two Heroclix, and I was lucky to get the Jon Boyce Colony 87 beauties... big council.  Anyway, hope you stay tuned even if its just the two of us.  Richard
« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 05:15:58 PM by War In 15MM »

Offline War In 15MM

• Scatterbrained Genius
I loved the East Riding Corporate Wars’ Slicks and Corporate Enforcers the first time I saw them.  They looked to me to be the perfect security team for either the Alliance or Blue Sun.  As I said in an earlier posting Alex Bews’ “Galaxy Council” is an inspiration… absolutely a treat.  With that as my inspiration I am committed to adding a group of ambassador figures (often in pairs) to my project… in transit through this rough, “frontier” port.  My first pair of ambassadors is from Iron Kingdoms.  I removed the dagger from the purple figure and added a staff taken from a Heroclix figure.  The spacecraft is the first of about 20 I will be including in this collection.  I found this one and all the others at the swap meet.  It was in pretty bad shape, parts missing and covered with caked-on mud, but the potential was obvious and the price was right.  It’s a big ship… about 27 inches in length.  The ship is the Eagle 1 from the Space 1999 TV series.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 02:07:06 AM by War In 15MM »

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
I don't care if it were covered in sh....!

Well, you know.  lol

NEVER turn down an Eagle!

As for the enforcers, prolly Blue Sun. Like the man said, the Alliance assumes that they're the GOOD guys.

Older I get, the closer to home those bouncing boys, especially with the added belly wheel, feel.  :'(

Too bad I can't keep accepting how awesome your work is!   :-*

Doug
« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 01:54:17 PM by The_Beast »

Offline hubbabubba

• Mastermind
Looking good.
Can't wait for your next update :)

Offline axiom

• Mastermind
    • My blog: Magpie and old lead
I very much like the security team - they look very useful and very versatile too!

Offline Inso

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Often confused or misunderstood...
    • Inso's World
Yep. Nicework on the security team and the clean up on the eagle :) .

I noticed on one of the model kit sites I visit that your eagle, new in box, would be worth hundreds of pounds so you have been very lucky in finding it :)

Are you going to add engines on the back in the style of the original ones or go for something different?

You've an excellent little hobby blog going on here :)

EDIT - Here's the kit... 195 Euros:

http://hlj.com/product/mppmpc874
« Last Edit: January 31, 2017, 03:19:50 PM by Inso »

Offline War In 15MM

• Scatterbrained Genius
Thanks to all for taking the time to write and for the kind words.  Axiom and Inso, glad you like the security team.  Axiom, as the man who gave us Colony 87, that is high praise for what East Riding has done.  The East Riding Corporate War figures/security team are really unique, and I was determined to get them for this project the minute I saw them.  The_Beast, I probably agree with you that they are better for Blue Sun, but I still have to flesh out how a lot of this layout will work.  Inso, I have seen the Eagle for over $100 on eBay so you are very right; it was a lucky find.  I got it for just $15.  As I said it was covered with mud... I had to take it out in the yard and spray it with the hose for a long time to get it clean.  It was also missing one of the large side panels, several jet funnels for lift, a few of the landing feet, the windshield for the cockpit... it was missing a lot, but it had all of that wonderful exterior piping and I'd never seen one before at the swap meet so I bought it.  I've had it for several years now waiting to get worked on.  I've never seen one again.  New feet and funnels were cast in resin.  The side panel and windshield (probably no wind in space) plus some small detail pieces were done with Evergreen Plastic.  You are right about the rear engines.  I found some good replacements (not the originals) at the swap meet this weekend so they will go one soon.  Thanks again for writing.  Hope you will stay tuned... plan to have more figures and another spacecraft up later this week.  If I get the rear engines on the Eagle I'll try to remember to take a picture of that as well.  Richard

Offline Dr Mathias

• Galactic Brain
I've always liked those Slicks, I have a few myself. I picture them as up-hive Necromunda House Delaque- bodyguards to the leadership of the house, distinct from the underhive gangers.

Great work on the ship too, I'll need to keep my eyes open for one ;)

Offline War In 15MM

• Scatterbrained Genius
Dr., when I posted my Africa Gallery awhile ago, you posted some pictures of you Col. Simpson that were absolutely wonderful.  In fact, I went back to Eureka and purchased another one of Simpson's female retinue because I wanted to do one with an umbrella just like you did.  That said if you have things you have done associated with this type of project or with figures you think would enhance what I'm doing, please feel free to post them here... I'd love another Col. Simpson moment.  Richard

Offline War In 15MM

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Space, My New 28mm Frontier (New: Eagle engines complete & space bugs)
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2017, 07:59:28 PM »
Inso’s posting about the missing engines on my Eagle gave me the motivation to get the job done.  Really there wasn’t much to finishing it up… getting the spacecraft out of the cabinet where it is stored was the hardest part.  Since I’m adding the new picture of the now finished Eagle I decided to include some space bugs I just finished as well.  These are entirely a result of an inspirational work by Alex Bews entitled “Space Hulk.”  While his bugs are nicer and his painting is the best, I loved the idea so I decided to make my own version using some Heroclix creatures that I got for 25 cents each at my Heroclix store (yes, I do have a Heroclix store… that’s So Cal for you) and a plastic wall I found in a pile of broken toys at the swap meet for 50 cents.  I don’t know the names of the Heroclix figures because their bases were missing.   I’m not sure how I will use the bugs, but I’m glad I have them.

« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 02:07:58 AM by War In 15MM »

Offline Dr Mathias

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2017, 09:03:28 PM »
I found in a pile of broken toys at the swap I don’t know the names of the Heroclix figures because their bases were missing.  

The bugs look like 'The Brood', they first appeared as enemies of the X-Men.

Offline War In 15MM

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2017, 12:28:05 AM »
Dr., that is what they are.  The four on the ground are Brood Warriors.  The one on the wall came with wings that I cut off and is probably a queen, but I couldn't find that same figure on eBay when I did my check.  Thanks for clearing that up.  Richard

Offline Overlord

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Top Geezer
    • The Sweeney
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2017, 01:35:08 AM »
Not to get too nerdy and space-button counter, but I think the model you have is the Mattel toy Eagle:

This one is approx. 30 inches long, as opposed to the MPC kit which is (a mere!) 22 inches.  Also not easy to come by, so an excellent find.

2024 Lead Tally: Acq: 013 Ptd: 055  Total: +042
2023 Lead Tally: Acq: 560 Ptd: 056  Total: -504
2009-22 Tally:  Acq: 3293 Ptd: 905  Total: -2388

Offline War In 15MM

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2017, 02:54:57 AM »
Overlord, that is the one I have though mine required a lot of work to bring it back to a useable condition.  The difference in length between the 30" you mentioned and the 27"/maybe 28" of mine is that mine was missing the rear engine assembly.  Even covered with dry mud and missing lots of parts it was a beautiful toy.  When I saw that the exterior piping was in perfect shape I knew that $15 was a great price, and that it could be brought back to a condition worth having.  I got it several years ago, and I have never seen another during my weekend swap meet trips.