Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:13:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Mars Attacks Terrain and Deluxe Mats - thoughts?  (Read 2783 times)

Offline Mr. White

• Mastermind
    • Wyrd Stones and Tackle Zones
Mars Attacks Terrain and Deluxe Mats - thoughts?
« on: January 24, 2017, 01:44:44 AM »
I guess this game flew under the radar then got buried by the Walking Dead license. Good for gamers though as this stuff looks pretty cheap now.

What are the thoughts from those with experience? Could I paint the buildings (not glue) and take everything apart storing flat or do these require glue? Are the mats decent quality? Anyone got pictures of these walls in action...not painted red?

Thanks!

Offline supervike

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • supervike's stuff
Re: Mars Attacks Terrain and Deluxe Mats - thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2017, 02:23:28 AM »
I've wondered many of the same things.

I found this blog on a websearch.  It answers a few things, and has a couple of good detailed pics.

http://blog.childrenofthekraken.com/2014/10/mars-attacks-terrain.html

Offline wellender

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2017, 05:31:27 PM »
I have put mine together and taken them apart many times.  I haven't had a chance to paint anything yet though.  I might be a little more hesitant to do so if there were painted. 

Offline Mr. White

• Mastermind
    • Wyrd Stones and Tackle Zones
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2017, 06:37:37 PM »
It seems the only paint damage that would happen would be where the connectors rub on and off. I'd guess if one was ok with that (or created little flaps to cover it) then take them apart should be an issue.

However, with no experience with these I have no idea how easy it is to take apart the building once connected. I'd not want to get into a situation where I had a bunch of broken connectors.

It's a really intriguing set of terrain though...particularly since it can also connect to the DeadZone stuff.

http://www.worldofwargaming.co.uk/2015/03/terrainaholic-batman-miniatures-game.html

Offline GDonk

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2017, 07:33:21 PM »
Not seen the mats.  I'm not a fan of the held together with visible tabs/clips style of scenery in the first place but I have several sets of both the Mars Attacks and Deadzone packs  as they are excellent sources for kit-bashing projects and which, together with Pegasus, Plasticville, Urban War and even some GW bits, I'm gradually forming into permanent looking buildings.  One day, when I get something finished and summon the courage, I'll post some pics . .

Offline Big Martin Back

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2017, 07:46:18 PM »
I ended up glueing the various terrain bits together in usable chunks as it just kept falling apart at inopportune moments. I gave it all a pretty rough paintjob, just to cover the "raw plastic" look.
Tutenes, Atque Cujus Exercitus?

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
“What use was time to those who'd soon achieve Digital Immortality?”

Offline GDonk

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2017, 11:10:25 PM »
Check out this excellent tutorial for using this scenery:

http://www.tabletop-terrain.com/archives/2015/09/16/2152/tutorial-post-apocalyptic-terrain-with-mantic-red-brick/
Yep, that's the sort of thing its really great for as a starting base.  Nice work.

Offline nozza_uk

• Mad Scientist
    • The wargaming world of Nozza
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2017, 10:40:34 AM »
I find the mats useful. The pavements and roads are probably a bit narrower than they would be in real life, but they look good on the table.

Offline spect_spidey

• Scientist
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2017, 12:05:45 PM »
I find the mats useful. The pavements and roads are probably a bit narrower than they would be in real life, but they look good on the table.

What size are the mats overall? Do you know what the width of the roads are? I am curious if these mats and terrain would work well with Mantic's Walking Dead All Out War minis and plastic cars/trucks.

Offline nozza_uk

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2017, 03:41:39 PM »
What size are the mats overall? Do you know what the width of the roads are? I am curious if these mats and terrain would work well with Mantic's Walking Dead All Out War minis and plastic cars/trucks.

I'll measure up when I get home and let you know.

Offline spect_spidey

• Scientist
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2017, 10:58:35 PM »
I'll measure up when I get home and let you know.

Thank you. I also noticed that you have some of the Plast Craft colored terrain in that pic. How is it? Is it durable? Easy to put together? I have considered buying some but my local store doesn't normally carry it so it would be a special order or I would have to buy online.

Offline nozza_uk

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2017, 11:44:29 AM »
Thank you. I also noticed that you have some of the Plast Craft colored terrain in that pic. How is it? Is it durable? Easy to put together? I have considered buying some but my local store doesn't normally carry it so it would be a special order or I would have to buy online.

Ok, the mats seem to be 60 cm x 60 cm. The roads and pavements are just shy of 6 inches wide.

The Plascraft buildings come with instructions and I found them easy to put together. It's recommended that you glue them with superglue, but I used PVA instead. Took longer to dry but enabled me to fix any mistakes I made. You can't access the interiors, but I found them a cheapish way of filling the table. I picked mine up at Salute where I got a discount for purchasing one of each building.

Offline spect_spidey

• Scientist
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2017, 12:04:53 PM »
Ok, the mats seem to be 60 cm x 60 cm. The roads and pavements are just shy of 6 inches wide.

The Plascraft buildings come with instructions and I found them easy to put together. It's recommended that you glue them with superglue, but I used PVA instead. Took longer to dry but enabled me to fix any mistakes I made. You can't access the interiors, but I found them a cheapish way of filling the table. I picked mine up at Salute where I got a discount for purchasing one of each building.

Thanks a bunch for the info. Is the six inches per lane or the total road?

Offline rwwin

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2017, 04:01:30 PM »
I've got one of the mats from Mars Attacks and two from Deadzone made out of the same mouse pad foam material.  They are mostly great and quite durable.  The one downside is that if your terrain or figure bases have any kind of sharp corners or burs, you can end up snagging the fibers and pulling them off the foam.  Not a big deal but you do have to take a little more care than paper mats or hard boards.  Other than that, I like them a lot.  I've had mine stored folded in quarters and as long as you don't stack anything on top of them they don't crease.  If you can find them cheap, go for it.