Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 07:02:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689575
  • Total Topics: 118286
  • Online Today: 646
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Vampire Vlad Tepes; on a graveyard base... Paint for the Impaler  (Read 4955 times)

Offline Peithetairos

• Scientist
    • DaggerandBrush
I came across a basecoated Reaper Bones Judas Bloodspire in my box of shame the other day, then I realised why I did not finish him: I did not like his face and didn't care much for the skulls on his armour.

A few minutes later is head was gone and so were the skulls. But what now? While googling I came across a copy of a portrait of Vlad Tepes apparently based on an original made during his lifetime: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/af/Vlad_Tepes_002.jpg

He was a Wallachian prince that lived 1428/1431 – 1476/77.  Contemporary and later sources describe him as a cruel and ruthless politician, some go so far to paint him as a sadistic monster that reveled in drinking the blood from his impaled enemies. It does not come as a surprise that Bram Stoker got inspired by this historical figure for his Count Dracula novel.

I had this idea of a fictional family graveyard of the Drăculești for the base, going even further back to the House of Basarab. This would  allow to depict weathered gravestones that are a hundred years old, some tumbled over and overgrown, the walls of the graveyard in disrepair.  I imagine the entire family  to be cursed by the gods with vampirism based on Vlad's cruelty.  Embracing this curse, or ‘gift' as he likes to refer to it, he may have chosen the graveyard as a resting place. He cares little for its condition and revels in the decay surrounding him.

In my case the miniature's original sword was held at such an odd angle that its point was lower than the cast-on base. Instead of cutting off the arm and adjusting the weapon I kept the angle and decided to put the miniature on the edge of some stone steps. This works also very well with his raised knee and outstretched left arm. In the end I decided to replace his long sword with a Hungarian sabre or szabla, which I carved from a two-handed sword that was part of the Northstar plastic gnolls set using a scalpel. The historical Vlad Țepeș would most likely have used an european style sword, but his immortal counterpart may have adopted a saber when it became more acceptable among the nobility a hundred years after his "death".

To resemble more the portrait of Vlad Țepeș I added a new head and breast armor. Turns out Vlad's hairdo and mo was pretty metal back in the day. Anyhow, I used a head of the Gripping Beast Late Romans for this conversion. One of the soldiers wears a Pannonian cap which provides a perfect base for the Wallachian headdress depicted in the portrait. I still need to add the pearls and maybe a dragon emblem on the chest piece.

There are still some elements missing:

- As you can see the gap on the base will fit the graveyard wall. I think I will use a magnet to attach it to simplify transport.

- I also need to add the bat swarm to the background and another gravestone to the front left. This one was the bottom part of the bat swarm. I cut the Bones version in two pieces to be able to mount the swarm on some clear acrylic rod. Given the gravestone had a skull with batwings on it…*cough* I decided to add some new design with greenstuff. I had a flying dragon in mind to mirror the headstone behind it.

- I also want to add another hanging bat to the lower branch of the tree. This will most likely be the bat from the Reaper familiar set.

- A nice touch could be a tumbled over statuette that was originally placed in the little alcove of the gravestone on the front right. I'll see what my greenstuff skills can produce.

Here are some pictures of the base without WIP Vlad. If you are interested in how it was constructed head over to my blog, where I wrote a detailed step-by-step tutorial:

Unrested souls - How to make a graveyard themed diorama base

« Last Edit: November 04, 2019, 07:20:30 AM by Peithetairos »

Offline Harwood Hobbies

• Scientist
    • Harwood Hobbies
Re: Vampire Vlad Ţepeş on a graveyard base... he is so (hair) metal :)
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2017, 04:44:54 AM »
Nice sculpting work!    :-*

Offline Peithetairos

• Scientist
    • DaggerandBrush
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2017, 06:59:11 AM »
Thank you, glad you like it. Some more to do, but slowly getting there.

Online The Voivod

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2017, 08:21:31 AM »
Very well done.
I would've instantly recognised the source even if you hadn't put it up first.
'Mercy? I am far to brave to grant you mercy.'

Offline Peithetairos

• Scientist
    • DaggerandBrush
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2017, 10:47:00 PM »
Thank you Voivod. Glad the conversion looks the part. I am still wondering if I should have a star on the hat or just use the bit I have right now.

Offline Hummster

• Scientist
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2017, 01:34:53 PM »
Nicely reworked there and lovely basing.

Offline Chairface

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2017, 12:54:30 AM »
That is beautiful

Offline dinohunterpoa

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Everything is Better with Vampire Supermodels
    • Isla de Santa Biscaya
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2017, 02:53:56 PM »
Amazing base, CONGRATULATIONS!  ;)
"Because life is made of inspiration, dreaming and insanity in about equal measure."
- Erzsébet Báthory - 1560-1614 (?)

Offline Peithetairos

• Scientist
    • DaggerandBrush
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2017, 01:47:30 AM »
Thank you guys. I am a bit preoccupied with work at the moment, but hope to come back to him very soon.

Offline Peithetairos

• Scientist
    • DaggerandBrush
Just like Vlad this thread lives on and comes back from the dead.

In he meantime I refined his headdress to resemble the portrait better. I also gave him an emblem of the Order of the Dragon.

Vlad also got some paint the past few evenings. I am pleased with the face so far and the armor and cloak are also getting there. 

As I want to try something new with each miniature I paint I decided to use a very limited palette that uses purple as a unifying color. So the armor, cloak and face are shaded with purple tones.

I also avoided to go to bright with the red adding only a hint of medium flesh tone instead of yellow or white as would be my usual method. Also shading red with purple is new to me. So far I used brown. I think it gives a significantly richer red tone this way. 

The photos are a bit darker than I would usually take them, but it shows the colors as they appear in reality better.

Offline Swordisdrawn

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
  • '
    • Sword is Drawn
Wowser. Very good indeed
'The night is gone and the sword is drawn and the scabbard thrown away!'

Instagram Swordisdrawn264

Offline Peithetairos

• Scientist
    • DaggerandBrush
Thanks! Pretty intense project with all the bits, but I want to finish it this time in one go.

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
Re: Vampire Vlad Tepes; on a graveyard base... Paint for the Impaler
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2019, 08:32:53 AM »
Looks great, I particularly like the cloak in the wind  8)
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline HappyChappy439

• Mastermind
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2019, 08:46:03 PM »
Looking amazing! Keep up the fantastic work!  :-*

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2019, 11:34:21 PM »
Beautiful work on one of my favs.

Thank you for sharing.

Best regards,

Helen
Best wishes,
Helen
Love many things, for therein lies the true strength, and whosoever loves much performs much, and can accomplish much, and what is done in love is done well (V van Gogh)