Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 04:16:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690665
  • Total Topics: 118343
  • Online Today: 866
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Walls of Troy project  (Read 26039 times)

Offline Marine0846

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Re: Walls of Troy project
« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2017, 10:10:40 PM »
Very well done.
I would say, you are spot on.
Semper Fi, Mac

Offline Vongoosewink

• Librarian
    • http://www.crocodilegames.com
« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2017, 12:20:28 PM »
Hi, which edition of the book is it?

Amazing work, by the way!

Thanks, the image is from the UK edition of "Black Ships Before Troy" by Rosemary Sutcliff, illustrated by Alan Lee.  I'm not sure if the later editions have his illustrations, this is the cover of the one I have:

Progress continues.  The tower is now basically done other than an little cleanup and small details to be corrected.  The wall section is underway - again, built on a wood base and detailed in the same manner as the tower.  The for the battlement, I added the merlons after I built the wood section, just sculpted the with some putty (that is why they look white in the photos), it would have been better to just cut them into the wood, but my control over my cheap jigsaw is haphazard at best, and I did not want to lose a finger.

I made the walkway along the wall just wide enough for 2 miniatures mounted on 20x20mm bases to stand.

When finished the wall should slot nicely into the cutouts on the tower, and the 2nd story doors on the tower will line up with the wall walkway.

Getting closer...

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2017, 12:35:14 PM »
Having just found this thread, all I can say is:

:o :o :o

Wonderful construction work and some lovely textures going on here that really bring it to life.
Seriously impressive work!
 :-* :-*

Following with much interest now.
 :D

Offline Vongoosewink

• Librarian
« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2017, 07:29:50 PM »
OK, the wall section is now basically done. 

I still need to do a gate, but that may be better to wait and simply convert a casting of a wall section rather than sculpting a whole new piece.

I'm also planning some additional decorative bits, so I may work on these while I figure out a solution for casting these.

Here are some pics of the completed wall:

Different view:

I have not added the wave meander border yet, what do you guys think - should I add it or not?

Offline Andym

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2017, 07:37:40 PM »
Do you not open up more use for different games/periods without the meander? I like it as is. :-*

Offline SiamTiger

• Librarian
  • The collector of many things
    • Chaosbunker - Lots of Lead, Plastic and Ideas
« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2017, 08:42:31 PM »
This is a very well done project so far, chapeau! Looking forward to see the progress of the cast.

Offline Richard in Sachsen

• Scientist
« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2017, 10:13:01 PM »
Your sculpting is superb and it is probably far too late now, but here is something that may interest you for future reference:

http://www.menta-modellbau.de/shop24/product_info.php/info/p845_Silikonform-Nr--10--Griechische-Steine.html

It's a company here in Germany that makes lightweight plaster stones and silicon moulds to cast your own. I own the set of moulds. This particular mould in the link is of Greek stones much like your picture and you build them up, one on top of another. The great thing about casting stones in plaster is that you can add pigments to the plaster and each time you cast the plaster it is slighter lighter or darker than the last one. When the stones are mix up, it gives you a very realistic effect of different coloured stones. You can also mix wood glue with fine sand and pigments to make a realistic mortar. Just like playing with Legos :D

If you don't want to fuss with moulds, they also sell all sorts of different mason stone sets up to, I think, 200 stones.

If you are going to make the roads of Troy, here is their ancient road set: http://www.menta-modellbau.de/shop24/product_info.php/info/p1391_Pflasterstrassen-Set--Krippenbau.html. For 20 euro you get ten 5x5cm road pieces making 50 cm of road. Although I will be using my own flagstone moulds for my Roman city streets, I find these tempting.

The site is in German, but the pictures in the links give you a good idea of what they're like. Since you said the sculpting was a long process, I thought you may be interested in this technique.
You go to war with the figures you have, not the figures you wish you had!

Offline The Dozing Dragon

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • The Little Soldier Company
« Reply #37 on: February 08, 2017, 11:01:50 PM »
Wow. So good. Monolith Designs had some....still online although not sure if still available...yours take it to another level. You could try contacting Ian at Fenris Games...top bloke and might be interested in casting them up? I'd certainly be on them once released...might even make me paint my Bronze Age horde!

http://fenrisgames.com/

http://www.monolithdesigns.co.uk/trojan.htm

Offline LeadAsbestos

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • When the Hurlyburly's Done...
« Reply #38 on: February 08, 2017, 11:20:55 PM »
Gorgeous! I'd love to have a set! I'd prefer a.little slope to the walls, but these.are.so nice, that.can easily be forgiven.😊

Offline Vongoosewink

• Librarian
« Reply #39 on: February 09, 2017, 02:40:49 AM »
Gorgeous! I'd love to have a set! I'd prefer a.little slope to the walls, but these.are.so nice, that.can easily be forgiven.😊

The wall photos are a little deceptive, it has the same forward batter that the tower does (about a 75-degree slope on the lower section of the wall, that goes up about 10').

The rear (inner) side of the wall is a straight vertical though - I'm not sure if that is correct at the historical site, but it seemed to be from the reconstruction drawings in the Osprey 'Fortress' series book on Troy.

To be perfect, I probably should have made the batter go another 5 or 10 feet higher -- but I miscalculated early on in the construction and it's now too late to go back and change it.   :?
« Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 02:49:23 AM by Vongoosewink »

Offline WuZhuiQiu

• Mastermind
« Reply #40 on: February 09, 2017, 03:47:48 AM »
How do you calculate the angles? I have the impression that, without using a graphical method, the calculation of angles on sloped planes (e.g. truncated pyramid faces) could involve some matrix algebra or at least simultaneous equations!

Offline Vongoosewink

• Librarian
« Reply #41 on: February 09, 2017, 01:33:43 PM »
OK, the wall section is done!

I added the decorative meander along the top to match the tower, I think it will look nice, especially when seen repeated along the whole structure.  In the mythology, the gods Poseidon and Apollo constructed the walls of Troy, so I can imagine Poseidon adding the wave motif himself, as a sort of signature!   ;)

This picture from the side shows how the wall intersects with the tower, and also shows the bevel in the left edge to make the vertical offset that I talked about earlier in the thread.  Hopefully I have it spaced correctly, it is hard to tell without actually having 2 castings to fit together - if it is a little off I'm confident I can fix the castings with a belt sander.

One of my Trojans included to show scale.  

And here are a few shots of the top with the trapdoor, and the side where the wall meets the door:

« Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 11:49:31 PM by Vongoosewink »

Offline Richard in Sachsen

• Scientist
« Reply #42 on: February 09, 2017, 06:31:31 PM »
That wave motif is absolutely stunning :-*

Offline Hu Rhu

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #43 on: February 09, 2017, 07:04:55 PM »
That is an excellent wall and tower.  If you are intending to have them cast commercially I would be interested.

Offline Karadek

• Scientist
    • Xenia Gamers Club
« Reply #44 on: February 09, 2017, 07:47:01 PM »
Love it.  This is some fantastic work.