Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 10:06:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690622
  • Total Topics: 118340
  • Online Today: 866
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Venus?  (Read 3593 times)

Offline SlowLoris

• Assistant
Re: Venus?
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2017, 04:52:59 PM »
How about Martian empires rules from Black Hat miniatures?

There is a free download for Venus on their website.

We've played a Venusian campaign in the past, great fun:)

Here's links to the Lizardmen;

https://www.blackhat.co.uk/product-category/18mm-miniatures/18mm-miniatures-martian-empires/18mm-miniatures-martian-empires-lizardmen/

And the Prussians;

https://www.blackhat.co.uk/product-category/18mm-miniatures/18mm-miniatures-martian-empires/18mm-miniatures-martian-empires-prussians/

I own a smattering of their other figures and really like them, the quality is great and they're 18mm rather than 15mm. 

Flame guns, lizardmen on razorbirds, clockwork soldiers, steam tanks!

Have a look:)

Cheers

Stu
Embrace the Greekdom!

Offline LCpl McDoom

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2017, 05:56:06 PM »
I've just received my 'Venus Sourcebook' from the new Space-1889 KS project. If I'm honest, I'm likely to stick with the old GDW stuff, so - if this and any of the new stuff could be of use to anyone, I'd be happy to discuss some ideas, e.g., trade/swap options.

Those are great 15mm figures and would certainly be perfect for Venus/Space-1889. As mentioned already by others, climate/environment plays the major role, so loose-powder firearms are worthless. Means sealed metallic cartridge firearms - so Boxer cartridges for Martini-Henry rifles for example - become very important. From most of the fan-made Venusian stuff I've seen, the loyal Venus troops assisting the human powers still tend to resort to their own weapons. Quite sensible I guess. But there should be some provision for ultra-loyal types - I'm thinking a Ghurka-equivalent lizard tribe for the British, perhaps a tribe that mimics East African/Tanzanian Askari-types for the Germans - and give these lizardkin some firearms?

On another tack for VSF, these 15mm lizards would also make a good opposition force for some sort of Atlantis/Lost Civilization theme - typical mass hordes encountered while Journeying to the Centre of the Earth? (Then just need a 15mm Doug McClure?)

Offline Commander Roj

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2017, 05:23:39 PM »
I've just received my 'Venus Sourcebook' from the new Space-1889 KS project. If I'm honest, I'm likely to stick with the old GDW stuff, so - if this and any of the new stuff could be of use to anyone, I'd be happy to discuss some ideas, e.g., trade/swap options.

Those are great 15mm figures and would certainly be perfect for Venus/Space-1889. As mentioned already by others, climate/environment plays the major role, so loose-powder firearms are worthless.

On another tack for VSF, these 15mm lizards would also make a good opposition force for some sort of Atlantis/Lost Civilization theme - typical mass hordes encountered while Journeying to the Centre of the Earth? (Then just need a 15mm Doug McClure?)

It depends if they are using powder as we know it, or some other compound. I like the idea of lizards with some kind of jezzail.

Oh yes...Doug McClure in 15mm with a Prof. Peter Cushing and a delectable Caroline Munro, At the Earth's Core, or anywhere else VSFish, including the inner planets... we definitely need some Burroughs inspired characters in 15mm.

Offline dinohunterpoa

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Everything is Better with Vampire Supermodels
    • Isla de Santa Biscaya
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2017, 11:35:27 PM »
IMHO, Venus VSF has all the tropes of an intense "Darkest Africa" setting; a great adventure would be something in the line of Conrad's "Heart of Darkness" - the Star Wars version is worth a read as a very nice source of inspiration even to those not addicted to the SW universe:

https://www.amazon.com/Shatterpoint-Star-Wars-Clone/dp/0345455746

... a delectable Caroline Munro...

She's really UNDELECTABLE IMHO!!!   :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*

;)
« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 11:38:51 PM by dinohunterpoa »
"Because life is made of inspiration, dreaming and insanity in about equal measure."
- Erzsébet Báthory - 1560-1614 (?)