Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 09:00:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Approximating prehistoric beasties  (Read 1513 times)

Offline Irregular Wars Nic

• Mad Scientist
    • Visit the Irregular Wars blog:
Approximating prehistoric beasties
« on: February 03, 2017, 11:05:07 AM »
And so, quietly, step by step, I am drawn back into the mists of time, where the few peoples of the earth struggled to survive in a hostile environment, and when one bad dice roll could ruin your day. As Palaeo Diet: Eat or be Eaten (PDEE) takes shape, so has my collection of prehistoric beasties.

Cavie with bow is a 20mm chap from Flytrap Factory for scale.

The cracking cave bear thanks to our very own Maxxev.

More detail on the blog. http://irregularwars.blogspot.co.uk/2017/02/approximating-prehistoric-creatures.html

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Re: Approximating prehistoric beasties
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2017, 03:14:35 PM »
Wow. That is a wonderful cave bear. A lot more savage looking than my Deezee/Primeval Designs one...

Offline gnomehome

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2017, 03:57:10 PM »
The cavebear is still available in the D&D boardgames from WotC (I think there are three bears in Wrath of Ashardalon). These games are excellent value for money miniature wise.
I like my games like my orange juice: pulpy with no added sugar or artificial sweeteners

Offline Richard in Sachsen

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2017, 04:30:54 PM »
Supercool! Great job on the bear and I like the small humanoid with the Suebian knot... a lot!

I happen to be reading a novel at the moment that my mom sent me for X-Mas by Caleb Carr. It's about a lost Kingdom in Thuringian, Germany, centered around a city on Mount Brochen during the Great Migration Period. It's called the Legend of Broken and the author claims to have found an authentic manuscript in archives while researching Edward Gibbons, which describes this Kingdom. In fact, it was in the possession of none other than Edward Gibbons who wanted to write about it but his friend and colleague Edmund Burke advised against it for reputation reasons as there are no other extent records of this kingdom. The book dramatises this document as well as the notes and letters between Gibbons and Burke.

In any case, I haven't gotten that far into it but right now there are some "small people" who inhabit Thuringen Forest, scavengers and the like, who Carr says is now plausible since we found the "hobbits" in Indonesia.

So this guy above seems perfect for so such a tribe, very Germanic and small. Who makes him, btw, and are there others?
You go to war with the figures you have, not the figures you wish you had!

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2017, 06:54:29 PM »
The cavebear is still available in the D&D boardgames from WotC (I think there are three bears in Wrath of Ashardalon). These games are excellent value for money miniature wise.

Great news. I didn't realise that the fig was still available retail. I certainly couldn't find it in the UK and the cheapest eBay version I could find was £8+ plus postage.

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2017, 06:59:15 PM »
So this guy above seems perfect for so such a tribe, very Germanic and small. Who makes him, btw, and are there others?

Had heard of any of that. I presume it's fictional, or at least apocryphal? Or is it meant to be genuine?

The hunter is by Flytrap Factory, a NZ company. There are 10 sculpts at that size. Not currently available, but I am told the shop will reopen soon.

Offline Richard in Sachsen

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2017, 07:30:23 PM »
Thanks, maybe they'll reopen the shop.

The book is fictional.

Offline nervisfr

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Ch'ti Ré-Animator
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2017, 05:46:13 PM »
Great paint job Nic !
I like the bear too !

That's funny there is more and more topic about prehistoric figurines on the LAF .
I have start mine a few years ago but put them alive in January...

Some stuff here :

http://chti-reanimator59.blogspot.fr/2017/02/re-animator-un-gros-gourdin.html

2017, year of the cavemen !
Frenchy Eric, aka Ch'ti Eric or Re-Animator
"J'ai bon caractere mais j'ai le glaive vengeur et le bras seculier"

http://chti-reanimator59.blogspot.fr[