Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 09:15:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Martian Invasion of Belgian Congo  (Read 1787 times)

Offline jeffb

• Assistant
  • Ancient & Loyal
Martian Invasion of Belgian Congo
« on: February 04, 2017, 04:24:14 PM »
Hi Guys,
I'm after some help. I seem to recall a War of the Worlds RPG/wargame set in the Belgian Congo. Set, i think before the original novel and with the Belgians, allying themselves with the Martians. I must admit it was a few years ago when i saw it. Any help greatly appreciated.

Jeff
Wigan turnin Blue-My arse!!!
The future is bright, the future is Cherry & White
ANCIENT & LOYAL 1872
Wigan RLFC not just a religion

Waney's to do list
Win World Club Challenge-Will have to wait for 2017
Win Challenge Cup-Will have to wait for 2017!!!
Win Super League-Undecided!!!

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
Re: Martian Invasion of Belgian Congo
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2017, 08:49:02 PM »
I've been looking high and low, to no avail.

Are you sure you aren't thinking of another post, a book, perhaps a comic?

Doug

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
'So do all who see such times. But that is not for us to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that we are given.'

Offline jeffb

• Assistant
  • Ancient & Loyal
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2017, 10:26:34 PM »
No, i'm sure it was an rpg/war game. Martian flora and fauna had also taken root as well in the African jungle with Martians setting up cities. Like i say, i'm sure it was set before the original novel, say 1880-1898.

Jeff

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2017, 10:37:24 PM »
There was an old TSR game called Space 1889

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space:_1889

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2017, 04:15:53 PM »
http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=28241.0

Sadly, the piccies are gone, no matter if right for this topic.

There was an old TSR game called Space 1889

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space:_1889

GDW, actually, and has been re-released, though I forget the lads and lasses doing it. In Germany, I think.

Pretty much about Earther's invading other planets. Don't recall any Martians on terra firma.

Possibility of a wargame-in-a-box instead of an RPG... Hmm...

Doug

Offline jeffb

• Assistant
  • Ancient & Loyal
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2017, 05:31:50 PM »
I'm buggered. Its soo long since i last saw it, anything could have happened.

Offline DLIinVSF

• Librarian
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2017, 07:19:35 PM »
If it is the reserve of your first recollection and humans on Mars. Then it sounds like Space 1889 , mainly covered in Conklins Atlas. Basically the Belgian Congo on Mars.

A taste of the sort of thing for example.
"
The Belgians first sent an expedition to Mars in 1876 and followed it with several more in short order. The early expeditions were ostensibly exploratory in nature. But were heavily protected by Belgian soldiers. The purpose of these expeditions was to study and explore the Great Coprates Rift Valley. and if the inhabitants of the valley were suspicious of the "true intentions" of the Belgians. subsequent events do little to contradict them. By 1884 there were frequent skirmishes between the Belgians and the Copraties  up and down the length of the valley.

The Belgians vigorously protested the practice of American and merchants selling the most modern rifles to the Coprates, a complaint that had little impact on American public opinion, and none whatsoever on the arms trade. In any event, the American arms merchants could point with some moral justification to the fact that, insofar as modem arms might drive the Belgians from the valley. Many would consider that a good thing. Although news reports were scarce from the Coprates. Those which made their way out indicated that
Belgian colonial rule there was even more brutal and bloody than in the Congo on Earth, if that was possible. By 1889 the Belgians had completed the
conquest (for it was nothing less) of the Great Coprates Rift Valley, and an uneasy peace had settled there.

The flood of refugees into Tithonius, Ophir, and Aurorae Sinus, and their frequent forays back into the valley to raid Belgian gumme plantations. Threatens to spread the violence. The Belgians, in return, have begun to undertake reprisal raids and punitive expeditions into neighbouring territories. All of this fans the fires of anti-human prejudice throughout Mars. The atrocities committed by the Belgians are used as further evidence by the Worm Priests, Ground Cleansers, and other fanatical groups of Martians, of the need to drive the red devils off the face of Mars forever.

General Foucard military commander, governor and defacto ruler of the Coprates for the King of Belgian. Arrogant, Sadistic & Lustful."

Sourced from Space 1889 and it's original works.

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2017, 06:13:42 PM »
Thanks! I knew Belgium was mentioned in Space 1889, but wasn't sure where that much info was located. Time to dig out the books!!!

Jeff, might work well enough for your needs, with a little engineering.

Doug