Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:52:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Guildball by Sigur  (Read 11263 times)

Offline Battle Brush Sigur

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
Guildball by Sigur
« on: February 07, 2017, 02:09:02 PM »
Hullo!

Over many moons past I painted quite a lot of Guildball stuff. Pretty much every single team by now. :)

I started with the Butchers and the Morticians. As usual with a test mini:

Once that was green-lit I did the rest:

The Morticians seem like one of these typical things many mini designers fall for when they're new and only do digital sculpting: the minis are spindly as heck, don't go together too well and are just plain insane to glue. Very glad Steamforged learned since then and that problem got better. But on the Morticians it was bad. In fact so bad that they redid some of them.

Well, that's the first two teams. :) Stay tuned for more!

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
Re: Guildball by Sigur
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2017, 02:17:02 PM »
Damn Sigur, those are just lovely!  :-*

I love how you do your reds as well; not least because whenever I add any white highlights to red, I just end up with pink.  :?

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2017, 02:26:33 PM »
@Major_Gilbear: Thanks very much! yeah, I went a bit bold with that red. :D That was back when I was massively into pre-shading with black and white and then apply a layer of stark colour and see how it turns out. :D Afterwards I just used white highlights. No mixing with red at all. I wouldn't really do that much any more (well, maybe I would if I felt like it). But it's fun.

Fishermen!

Shortly thereafter I was given Captain to paint (Season 2 model) as well:

Offline The Gray Ghost

• Mastermind
  • Beware The Gray Ghost
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2017, 05:16:30 PM »
Awesome
I used to be with it, but then they changed what it was. Now what I'm with isn't it anymore and what is it seems weird and scary.

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2017, 10:05:27 PM »
@The Gray Ghost: Thanks very much. :)

Here's the team I'm currently working on - Engineers (WIP)

Hope you like them so far! :)

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2017, 10:13:58 PM »
Oh, but these are WONDERFUL creations, BEAUTIFULLY painted in a dazzling array of colors, AND SPLENDIDLY  based. VERY WELL DONE indeed!
I'd NEVER join a club that would have me as a member.  G.Marx

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2017, 10:50:09 PM »
That was back when I was massively into pre-shading with black and white and then apply a layer of stark colour and see how it turns out. :D Afterwards I just used white highlights. No mixing with red at all.

I know the technique, but have never been bold enough to try it! Maybe after seeing your reds I may have a go.

Lovely work on the other two teams as well - really very impressive. One could almost imagine that you do this for a living! ;)

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2017, 01:31:43 PM »
@DeafNala: Wow. I fully expect all further comments to be on this level of praise. :D Seriously, thanks.

@Major_Gilbear: Yeah, it's pretty fun. Another thing that played into the idea was that I asked WAY too little money for the first two teams and I wanted to get them done fast. Turns out it's not really faster (as you spend a lot of time with the black/white preshading) and I still undercharge for GB teams. :D But yeah, the minis are nice and the guy I paint most of these for organizes wargaming events each year. Thanks for the general comment. ;)

As I don't have any new pics of the Engineers (at least none that would show much new) I'll go on posting the teams I painted in the past.

Brewers!

(see, bit of OSL playing there on the helmet and a little glass bottle fanciness going on there as well)

Later on I did goals for some of the teams as well. Butchers were the first ones to get one...

Yeah, a bit yucky. Some people commented that it's a little bit 'out there' and it probably is. The research for this one wasn't too much fun either. There are some things which leave you a bit queasy after the google image search to get something to look 'right'. (My top5 in this regard: "rotting flesh maggots", "horse skin sores/diseases", "gutted pig", "burnt skin", "octopus" because these things freak me out!)

The tree is by Eureka I think, as is the butchered-up pig. All I had to do was find a chain that fits, somehow put it on the carcass (the pig can be taken off the tree for transport, so I had to bend a branch so you can hang the pig on there) and do the base. For additional effect I added a little bucket which I think I made of some pencil cap or a Vallejo dropper bottle cap or somehting like that filled with blood and with a little piece of entrails hanging over it for over-the-top effect. Because some blood is unsettling, over the top blood and guts is less unsettling and more gimmicky. Like a realistic explosion on a film has impact while Micheal Bay explosions with helicopters flying through and sparks flying around just is a spectacle. So I went with quite a lot of icky stuff to start getting diminishing returns (the game is pretty cartoonish after all), but not go all-out gory. Because that works very, very, very, very rarely I think.

...and then the Brewers:

The barrels at the bottom are resin cast, the barrel on top actually is from the Empire plastic cannon set. Turns out you can turn that into a very pretty barrel. All you need to do is carve in wood texture and so some more cutting. The wooden beams and wedges to keep everything in place are made from chopsticks, the beer mug is from Avatars of War's plastic Dwarven Barbarians set. I also added a cloth wipe in the tartan colours of the Brewers to tie the thing together with the team and to leave no doubt as to whose goal that is. :)

So yeah, hope you like them. :)
« Last Edit: August 24, 2017, 07:21:30 AM by Battle Brush Sigur »

Offline Paleskin

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2017, 06:13:35 PM »
Stunning work,every one looks fantastic! 8)

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2017, 06:32:31 PM »
Thanks very much, Paleskin!

Next on the list were the Alchemist's Guild team. First, as always, the test mini:

..and then the rest:

I really dig the colour scheme. If you'd ask me which was my favourite GB team I painted so far I really couldn't tell.

They also got a goal afterwards:

That one was rather straightforward. I got the flame/smoke bit resin cast from the customer, along with the request to do "something" with it. Maybe I could find a big test tube/petri dish thing, but I couldn't and it would have looked just way too huge, so I went with a simple crater (base, milliput, some pebbles, done). For additional detail, and to tie it together with the Alchemists team I used the pink/magenta colour I'd used for all the chemical stuff on the models on the cloud as well, and I strew some pieces of torn apart cloth in the team colours around the crater along with a single shoe (it's a bit burnt up at the top), indicating that the whole thing looks like an unlucky Alchemist.

Along with them I also did some additions for the Morticians and Butchers which had been released in the mean time (Bonesaw and Tenderiser):

Yeah, and that's that. The latest team I just finished basing, so I'll get to post pictures of those guys either tomorrow or some time soon. Hope you like the pictures!
« Last Edit: May 02, 2018, 10:49:19 PM by Battle Brush Sigur »

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2017, 06:48:14 PM »
Super nice - thanks for sharing!  :)

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2017, 01:38:27 PM »
The quality of your brushwork, your eye for colors, AND attention to details are OUTSTANDING. The results are consistently BEAUTIFUL creations.  INSPIRING WORK, VERY WELL DONE!

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2017, 09:27:47 PM »
@Major_Gilbear: Thanks for looking. :)

@DeafNala: Okay, what's the deal with this format of comments you do? :D Not that I don't appreciate them.. ;)

Hey, here's the Union team:

Bit starker colour scheme there. The big dude with the little dude strapped to his chest is one of the most interesting mini designs I have seen so far.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2017, 09:13:13 PM by Battle Brush Sigur »

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2017, 08:42:48 AM »
I really like the Union team too - I found this team's sculpts to generally be way more delicate and spindly the the rest of the range personally, but you've done a good job to make them stand out rather than just look busy.  :)

@DeafNala: Okay, what's the deal with this format of comments you do? :D Not that I don't appreciate them.. ;)

Ah, that's just his style - same on every board, and always very gentlemanly and charming!  :)

Offline The Voivod

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2017, 10:30:08 AM »
Guildball isn't really on my radar as it doesn't really scratches an itch i have.
I have for a while now appreciated the models though and you've done a ridiculously good job on them.

Beautifull mini's, all of them. Wow.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 11:53:48 AM by The Voivod »
'Mercy? I am far to brave to grant you mercy.'