Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:53:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686609
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 684
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: New Fleet Scale Mecha for Jovian Chronicles  (Read 1495 times)

Offline Fire Broadside!

• Librarian
  • Spaceships, Robots and Beastmen!
    • Fire Broadside!
New Fleet Scale Mecha for Jovian Chronicles
« on: February 09, 2017, 12:51:57 AM »
Over the past year Dream Pod 9 has released fleet scale exos (and fighters) for Jovian Chronicles/Lightning Strike in preparation for a new edition of the miniatures game being kickstarted in about a week called Jovian Wars. If you are not familiar with the game think Gundam combined with The Expanse.

Jovian Chronicles (the roleplaying game) has always been dear to my heart and while I've never been able to justify the cost of getting the 28mm scale exos to build a proper space force it became much more affordable now - besides looking a bit more in scale with the ships. I have now painted one of each sculpt of the new miniatures for CEGA and the JAF and thought it might be fun to share here.

For Jovian Wars the exos and fighters are mounted three to a stand, but as I'm using them for the rpg and Lightning Strike as well I've decided to base them singly. They're about 17mm tall.

JAF family shot with the Stormrider hogging the limelight!

The Vindicators come with three different options - standard, railgun or bomber loadout.

CEGA forces lead by the Dragonstriker prototype.

I based the colour scheme for the Cerberus on the Dom test type from Gundam Origins. Always good to stay close to the source material. ;)

Last week the miniatures got to see some action as we played out a station assault in our rpg campaign. The red cross marker was one of the player characters floating in space after his exo got blown to bits by a missile. Of course he retained more or less the same velocity and vector as before (heading toward the station) and thought he might be able to simply land on it. After some quick calculations we realized his relative velocity was close to 200m/s and that hitting the station would simply squish him. Good times! :D

Next up I will get the ships painted and then play some test games of Jovian Wars - the alpha rules are available freely and the beta rules will be up soon.

Follow my (mostly) gaming related ramblings at Fire Broadside!

Offline Hobby Services

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: New Fleet Scale Mecha for Jovian Chronicles
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2017, 01:27:26 AM »
Quite nice, hadn't seen those.  Be useful in Full Thrust/A Sky Full of Ships/Starmada/etc as well as Lightning Strike and the new JC game.  Might work okay with the much tinier mecha from 15mmco.uk.

Offline Momotaro

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2017, 12:57:18 PM »
Those are fantastic sculpts, and you're done them proud - your beautiful painting really makes them pop.

Jovian Chronicles was one of my favourite RPG/Wargame setups about 15 years ago - always played with homemade counters!  I wasn't aware of Jovian Wars - I'll have to look into it now.  Thanks!

Offline Fire Broadside!

• Librarian
  • Spaceships, Robots and Beastmen!
    • Fire Broadside!
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2017, 09:26:48 PM »
Thanks!
Yeah, their new digital sculptor has a good eye for getting the gist of the large 28mm models and keeping the important bits for the 15mm version.

I bought into Jovian Chronicles back during the ninetiees and it has been one of my "grail games" that never got played. Then when these got released starting about a year ago, I rolled my sleeves up and started a campaign playing through the original Odyssey! We've only managed three sessions so far but it's been a lot of fun and my players have really taken to the setting. The timely release of The Expanse on netflix certainly helped as it is very close to the JC setting.

If you're curious you can read our first session report here, and I should have the second (actually sessions two and three) up shortly.

While I do like the new rules for Jovian Wars that Dave Macleod is writing and I'm sure I'll play it, I'll still be playing Lightning Strike and the rpg as well so the main draw for me are the new ships. The kickstarter is done to fund the production of all the ships from the Ships of the Fleet series of books (well, not Venus quite yet. Or maybe if the KS goes really well) and they are some of the coolest ship designs I know of! They've upped the scale a bit as well so they're about 25% larger than the old ones.

They've released a bunch of previews...