Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 01:06:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690508
  • Total Topics: 118334
  • Online Today: 732
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The Lead Painters' League - Season Three  (Read 101538 times)

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Re: The Lead Painters' League - Season Three
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2009, 11:39:23 PM »
Okay, thank you.
I think we'll stick with the 800 pixel width limit then, as most people don't seem to have a problem seeing it.
If you get a scroll bar, then so be it. It will make for a more interactive viewing experience!  ;)

Though you might consider 0600 GMT on Sunday so the Yanks have all of Saturday to finish and submit their entry.  

Excellent point - thank you Ray. Damn my Little Englander insularity!  lol
In fact let's make it 0700 GMT on the Sunday, since I'm unlikely to be up before 0700 on a Sunday anyway!

I shall amend the details above...

Offline Admiral Benbow

• The Queen's Own Gizmologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • "Creativity is a drug I cannot live without."
    • The Benbow Workshop
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2009, 04:10:10 PM »
Captain, great to see the LPL back thanks to your commitment, although I'm not sure if I'll have enough spare time to participate this time. Anyway, even looking at all those magnificent miniatures every Monday increases my exitement  ;D

Offline Mancha

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Hinterland Miniatures
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2009, 04:18:10 PM »
I've never painted a mounted figure and am unlikely to start now, so my upcoming suggestion isn't intended to benefit, specifically, me.  You might consider changing the rules of the Round 5 "hoseback" bonus to include any animal-mounted figures, whether on camels, elephants, donkeys, terror birds, etc.

Offline Froggy the Great

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • ...let slip the frogs of war.
    • My deviantArt gallery of painted figures
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2009, 04:48:24 PM »
I've never painted a mounted figure and am unlikely to start now, so my upcoming suggestion isn't intended to benefit, specifically, me.  You might consider changing the rules of the Round 5 "hoseback" bonus to include any animal-mounted figures, whether on camels, elephants, donkeys, terror birds, etc.
I quite agree.
You, sir, are not allowed to attempt a takeover of the solar system until your octopus sobers up.

Offline Orctrader

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Orctrader's Painted Figures
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2009, 04:56:07 PM »
Great news.

Barring unforeseen circumstances – I’m in.

Germans, I can do.

Horses – one of my painting goals this year is to paint horses – so horses it is.
Lost World stuff – who knows?

800 Pixel wide max – perfect.  This is the unofficial standard of the web.  Forgive me if I offend but...If you can’t see 800 wide images without scrolling you need either a new monitor, a new graphics card or a new PC.  And/or sufficient knowledge to check and reset your Display Resolution.

Question about round One bonus.  It used to be that there was no “new” bonus for round one.  In which case I, for example, could enter my recently posted Germans and gain the Round One (German) bonus.  But it was impossible for me to gain any points for a never-seen-before image.

I should state, that I will actually be painting some new Germans, so it won’t affect me.  But it might help – or hinder others to clarify.

Thanks to the Capt for taking this on. 

Offline Mancha

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Hinterland Miniatures
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2009, 06:01:11 PM »
Up at the top of the site, just under the banner, it says: "The Season 2 of the Lead Painters League is closed."  You might wish to change this to something like: "The Season 3 of the spectacular, wondrous, famous-around-the-world, Lead Painters League is now underway".

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2009, 06:12:49 PM »

Although I'm not sure if I'll have enough spare time to participate this time.

Thanks Admiral.
There's no doubt that if one is intent on winning the league by entering a new team every week, it is a big time commitment. But don't forget you can enter 'old' teams, and you don't have to enter a different team every week. You can keep the same team in for two or three rounds (although Grimm does get bored easily if you show him the same team for more than two weeks in a row!  ;)) I do hope you will be able to make a few of the rounds at least, as your painting is always inspiring.

Question about round One bonus.  It used to be that there was no “new” bonus for round one.  In which case I, for example, could enter my recently posted Germans and gain the Round One (German) bonus.  But it was impossible for me to gain any points for a never-seen-before image.

Yes, that's still the case.
In round one, bonus points will not be earned for entering a new team in the league because everyone is entering a new team into the start of the league - even if some of those teams were not 'newly painted'.
Sorry - that sounds a bit confusing, but hope it makes sense.

So the only bonus points available in round one will be for those who enter a German-themed team.

From round two onward, bonus points will be awarded for entering a new team which is newly painted (or at least has never been seen before!)

You might consider changing the rules of the Round 5 "hoseback" bonus to include any animal-mounted figures, whether on camels, elephants, donkeys, terror birds, etc.

I knew someone was going to say that  ;)

In the interests of fairness, and knowing that many LAFers only do fantasy / SF not historicals, let's say animal-mounted (although if someone actually paints 5 elephants and riders, they'll deserve all the bonus points they get!). So that would include wargs, cold ones, etc.

Now - please no-one come back and ask if they can be 'robotic-animal mounted' or mounted on vehicles, because the answer's no!  ;)

Up at the top of the site, just under the banner, it says: "The Season 2 of the Lead Painters League is closed."  You might wish to change this to something like: "The Season 3 of the spectacular, wondrous, famous-around-the-world, Lead Painters League is now underway".

Yep. It's on the list to be done. Thanks Mancha. We'll also see if we can drop a PM out to every member to let them know it's happening...

Offline Poliorketes

• King of the Congo
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Never look back
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2009, 08:07:03 PM »
Germans are fine, I'll take some wall paint and splash it right over Grimm, Hazel, Driscoles, Chris & Mike D. McBride :D
If you come for the king, you better not miss (Omar)

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2009, 08:28:01 PM »
Now - please no-one come back and ask if they can be 'robotic-animal mounted' or mounted on vehicles, because the answer's no!
There goes my idea for round five. I guess I will have to learn how to paint horses.

Looking forward to the league.
Captain
Thanks for all the hard work

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2009, 08:31:57 PM »
Germans are fine, I'll take some wall paint and splash it right over Grimm, Hazel, Driscoles, Chris & Mike D. McBride :D

Yeah, sure, as if a 800px wide picture would suffice for more than my girth! lol

Another note, we might add to the "Germans Special Theme" the requirement that no Nazi symbols may be present in the images (either by leaving them off the models during painting or posing the figures in a way that they are not visible on the photos).

Just since there have been some occasions recently where people (not out of bad intent, I must stress) did not follow this rule in posting pictures.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2009, 09:34:59 PM »
Good point Chris.
I shall amend accordingly.
Thanks.

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2009, 04:36:41 AM »
Oh goodie, a new LPL and I've actually got stuff on the painting tray (or recently finished) to submit!

Being incredibly broke I won't be doing the German bonus round, but Lost Worlds is right up my current project alley! Neanderthals, dinos & explorers, oh my!

Offline dodge

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2009, 06:59:55 AM »
I'm going to have a go as it starts in April good long time to get some stuff painted up

dodge

Offline Bugsda

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2009, 09:53:09 AM »
Well done Captain, I'll have to dig some Germans out of the lead mountain :)
Well I've lead an evil life, so they say, but I'll outrun the Devil on judgement day.

Offline Mancha

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Hinterland Miniatures
« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2009, 03:40:23 PM »

Yep. It's on the list to be done. Thanks Mancha. We'll also see if we can drop a PM out to every member to let them know it's happening...

Wow, you took my advice literally.  I wasn't exactly expecting that.  Correcting my own statement, I don't think we need the "The" at the beginning.  Shit, is "underway" really all one word?   :)