Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 10:25:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690331
  • Total Topics: 118326
  • Online Today: 594
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: THE LEAD PAINTERS LEAGUE 11 - THE RULES  (Read 27862 times)

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
Re: THE LEAD PAINTERS LEAGUE 11 - THE RULES
« Reply #135 on: March 29, 2017, 12:48:01 PM »
I would have thought backdrops painted by the entrant would be a nice touch, surprised they are not allowed.

Guys, there are many things which could be a nice touch in a picture. We had this discussion already, years ago. While we definitely agree that a painted background looks good in a picture, at least in many cases, nevertheless this competition is about painted miniatures and (optionally) painted terrain, not about paintings and that's the point. We had examples in the past where you hardly recognized miniatures because of huge and beautiful backgrounds.

We can't make everyone happy, sorry. Just think of the other faction out there asking for a LPL without any terrain, just with miniatures photographed against a plain background. Therefore we think that we currently have a nice compromise on that, allowing terrain and disallowing fancy backgrounds.

Offline area23

• Mastermind
    • area23
« Reply #136 on: March 29, 2017, 10:43:14 PM »
I actually heartily agree.  I should've figured out how to have the focus pick out the mini's with the background blurred because that actually was the idea. It's really hard to do and better avoided, looking back.  
Some other pictures I made, also previous years, had too much background clutter, scenery bits, which only distracts and really doesn't improve the photo at all.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 10:45:28 PM by area23 »
If you don't believe in lead, you're already dead.
+++AREA23 BLOG+++

Offline TheWeasel

• Bookworm
    • Weasel Miniatures
« Reply #137 on: March 31, 2017, 05:58:11 AM »
Hello,

Now that I've submitted some entries, I need to pester with two bits of clarification:
1. Is multi-basing allowed, or do models need to be individually based?
2. In regards to the background controversy, would it be allowed to use both terrain/scenery and a gradient behind that?

Looking forward to painting with the lot of you!

Thanks

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #138 on: March 31, 2017, 08:08:09 AM »
Yes, to both your questions:)

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #139 on: March 31, 2017, 09:01:24 AM »
Minor amend to the rules to reflext the extension of today's deadline for entries from 12.00 GMT to 23.00 GMT.

There's still time!!!  ;)

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #140 on: April 04, 2017, 06:56:04 PM »

Will 5 newly painted figures, never seen on the net before, count as a new team if they are surrounded by figures that where showed before?

I ask because I have painted some 15mm figures that might look odd and a little out of place if showed on their own… :?
A CANADIAN local hobby store with a small selection of historical wargames miniatures (mainly from Warlords). They also have a great selection of paint and hobby accessories from Vallejo, Army painter, AK Interactive, Green Stuff World and more.; https://www.kingdomtitans.ca/us/

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
« Reply #141 on: April 04, 2017, 07:46:58 PM »
Will 5 newly painted figures, never seen on the net before, count as a new team if they are surrounded by figures that where showed before?

I ask because I have painted some 15mm figures that might look odd and a little out of place if showed on their own… :?

People have included older (previously shown) figures for years, so that shouldn't be a problem. Hammers had a neat recurring theme of a man with a dog that showed up in almost every pic. Contestants do tend to visually separate the new team in some manner (old figures in the background, out of focus, etc) so that the viewer knows what the 'team' is. 
a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice.
Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
« Reply #142 on: April 04, 2017, 07:52:43 PM »
What Matt said. It's allowed and wouldn't be a problem.

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #143 on: April 04, 2017, 08:06:05 PM »

Thanks both for the reply... now I just need to take a decent picture of the (very) little bugger  lol

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #144 on: April 05, 2017, 07:55:35 AM »

For good or bad (*I* like it) we have over the years incorporated elements of dramatization in the photography of the competition entries. I believe the inspiration for this comes from After Action reports, a sort of frozen idealized wargaming situation. Often this requires extra miniatures to stage, which is thankfully allowed. The banning of painted backdrops and photo shopped images are consistent with this.

LPL is different in this approach, I don't know of any other miniature painting competition which promotes this.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 09:15:46 AM by Hammers »

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #145 on: April 05, 2017, 08:25:41 AM »
Personally I think the LPL is much richer for it, and the mini-diorama aspect of many of the entries is for me what makes the contest so enjoyable. It would be a much poorer business without it, and to be honest, if all LPL entries had to be five (and no more) figures on a blank background I might not even bother following it.
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Neldoreth

• Mastermind
    • An Hour of Wolves and Shattered Shields
« Reply #146 on: April 05, 2017, 04:45:08 PM »
I agree that the story-telling aspect of LPL miniature dioramas (with a focus on 5+ specific ones) is what draws me in as well!

I looks forward to seeing what everyone comes up with for the rest of the league!

thanks
n

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #147 on: April 06, 2017, 03:10:23 PM »

Might not be the best place to ask this question but, when taking pictures for the LPL do you use the "macro" function of your camera? :?

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
« Reply #148 on: April 06, 2017, 03:14:38 PM »
Might not be the best place to ask this question but, when taking pictures for the LPL do you use the "macro" function of your camera? :?

I wouldn't. In my experience macro is only needed for very close up work, like a detail on a single figure. Additionally macro severely limits depth of field making it harder to focus.

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #149 on: April 06, 2017, 03:23:44 PM »

Thanks! That might be the reason I have so much trouble taking decent pictures... that or just don't have any photography skills lol