Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 08:39:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: THE LEAD PAINTERS LEAGUE 11 - THE RULES  (Read 27866 times)

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
Re: THE LEAD PAINTERS LEAGUE 11 - THE RULES
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2017, 02:59:39 PM »
Regarding the 'Big Brother' theme- I understand that a vehicle doesn't count, but what if the 'Big Brother' is double the size of companions physically AND happens to be in a conveyance of sorts? 

a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice.
Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza

Offline Timbor

• Mastermind
« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2017, 03:33:09 PM »
One other question for the 'Big Brother' theme - what if you have something such as a mounted commander and 5 troopers (be it a medieval lord on horse, or a scifi commander on some sort of hovercraft or something)?

The model for the 'big guy' would still be big, but that is more due to the mount rather than the size of the 'big brother'...
Paint log - leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=36840.0

Blog - My life in Millimetres

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2017, 04:22:47 PM »
Regarding the 'Big Brother' theme- I understand that a vehicle doesn't count, but what if the 'Big Brother' is double the size of companions physically AND happens to be in a conveyance of sorts? 

as long as he's not a vehicle that shouldn't be a problem but if you're not sure, just PM us what you had in mind and we can discuss

One other question for the 'Big Brother' theme - what if you have something such as a mounted commander and 5 troopers (be it a medieval lord on horse, or a scifi commander on some sort of hovercraft or something)?

The model for the 'big guy' would still be big, but that is more due to the mount rather than the size of the 'big brother'...

No, that wouldn't count. Guys on mounts aren't big, they just sitting higher :) Big Brother's supposed to be physically double the size of the rest of the team, without mounts being conisdered.

Offline Orctrader

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Orctrader's Painted Figures
« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2017, 07:01:55 PM »
Question on Fantasy miniatures "Team"

Non-GW.  Think RPG, Fantasy "Adventurers", Dungeon Crawl, etc.

I was about to paint some of the above.  Would, say, a Dwarf, Wizard, Elf, Barbarian, & Paladin be a legal team?  Or would I have to have 5 Dwarfs, or 5 Wizards, etc?

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2017, 07:10:25 PM »

I was about to paint some of the above.  Would, say, a Dwarf, Wizard, Elf, Barbarian, & Paladin be a legal team?  Or would I have to have 5 Dwarfs, or 5 Wizards, etc?

Mixed race adventuring parties have always been allowed in the past- Fellowship of the Ring, Space Smugglers with humans and aliens, etc.
A group with a unified purpose.

One team type that has shown up a lot in the past that I have never been sure about is gladiators. In the photos they're often clearly fighting each other, but are still a unified team for LPL purposes? I suppose one could say they are a 'familia' from the same ludus...

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2017, 07:49:55 PM »

Sure, it's a proper adventuring party. As Matt said, they have always been allowed. Unified purpose is the key word.

Mixed race adventuring parties have always been allowed in the past- Fellowship of the Ring, Space Smugglers with humans and aliens, etc.
A group with a unified purpose.

One team type that has shown up a lot in the past that I have never been sure about is gladiators. In the photos they're often clearly fighting each other, but are still a unified team for LPL purposes? I suppose one could say they are a 'familia' from the same ludus...

Gladiators are also a group with unified purpose - entertaining, just like a sport team. Fighting each other but with one aim, to please the spectators

Offline Orctrader

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Orctrader's Painted Figures
« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2017, 08:02:21 PM »
Thanks gentlemen  for the confirmation on "Fantasy" team.  I'll continue to paint then... ::)

Offline Ethelred the Almost Ready

• Mastermind
« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2017, 05:46:28 AM »
I have followed the LPL for several years and have often thought it would be fun to enter.  I am, however, a notoriously slow and indifferent painter.  In the last few years I have hit a rut in gaming and painting.  Again, I am tempted to enter.  The problems being, living in the antipodes, I suspect it may be difficult to order and paint figures before the deadline.  Still, will think about it...................!

As a person procrastinating about entering I would like to comment on the bonus round for tribesmen as I think this is a potential source for disappointment.  The definition of tribesman or tribe is very open and what one person thinks is appropriate may not be seen that way by another. 
Dictionary definitions:
Tribesman:
1. A man who is a member of one's own tribe.
2. A member of a tribal people.

Tribe:
a group of people, often of related families, who live together, sharing the same language, culture, and history, especially those who do not live in towns or cities:

Am I right in thinking that the intention is primitive peoples?
If people are wanting to do a fantasy tribe, would a group wearing predominantly skins or primitive clothing or primitive armour, jewelry etc fit the bill?  Using simple clubs or stone weapons?

I'm not trying to be difficult, but if I am going to order figures I would need to do so soon and wouldn't want my "tribe" being disallowed.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2017, 07:45:21 AM »
I'm sure we can all think of examples of tribes and tribesmen that are not primitive peoples. Although it's true that many primitive peoples are tribal cultures - Amazonian indians, Sarawak headhunters etc etc.

This bonus round theme is actually very easy if you just pick an obvious and well-known tribal subject.
It's only open to interpretation where you pick a subject that is open to interpretation  :)

As mentioned above, the best thing, if you have any doubts about your intended subject and whether it will qualify for the bonus points, is just to ask, either here or via pm.

Also, remember, the bonus theme rounds are not compulsory. There's an optional extra 10 points available if you paint to the theme. But not everyone is in it to chase down points  :)

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #39 on: February 17, 2017, 03:11:37 PM »
... But not everyone is in it to chase down points  :)

I’ll take all those I can scratch, just to defend my place at the bottom of the final list ;)

I rapidly check thru the thread but I didn’t see a reply to the question as if Pulp Melanesian warriors count as tribe?
A CANADIAN local hobby store with a small selection of historical wargames miniatures (mainly from Warlords). They also have a great selection of paint and hobby accessories from Vallejo, Army painter, AK Interactive, Green Stuff World and more.; https://www.kingdomtitans.ca/us/

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #40 on: February 17, 2017, 03:24:03 PM »
Melanesians - yes. Fine young cannibals. Definitely tribal types  :)

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
« Reply #41 on: February 17, 2017, 04:13:34 PM »
Lovecraft style fishmen tribal enough? They're primitively armed and not wearing anything except ornaments, if that sways anything!

(I've also got about three dozen assorted fishpersons coming up for painting...)

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #42 on: February 17, 2017, 04:16:50 PM »
Finally I get to showcase the opponents of my Jazz Age Indian Army.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #43 on: February 17, 2017, 05:05:16 PM »
Lovecraft style fishmen tribal enough? They're primitively armed and not wearing anything except ornaments, if that sways anything!

(I've also got about three dozen assorted fishpersons coming up for painting...)

No, sorry. Deep ones are not tribesmen or tribal to the best of my recollection of Lovecraft!

Just to repeat for anyone trying to identify a suitable subject, it's TRIBESMEN and TRIBES. That means peoples and cultures that are popularly and immediately associated with those words.  :)

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • All to all, by my mustard!
« Reply #44 on: February 18, 2017, 04:25:46 AM »
For the big brother/little brother - is the current Genestealer Patriarch sufficiently larger than his lesser brethren? I was going to use it as an excuse to get going on my new age Cultists....
"There is no known cure for the wargaming virus, only treatments with ever increasing doses of metal."