Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:56:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: ChargeDog's Adventures in Bazistan and Zaiweibo  (Read 124120 times)

Offline ChargeDog

• Scientist
    • My Blog
Re: ChargeDog's Adventures in Bazistan and Zaiweibo: Wargaming Week 20/08/18
« Reply #375 on: August 24, 2018, 11:04:23 AM »
This week's post is now on the blog, taking a look at the currently released GRU Spetsnaz range from Spectre Miniatures

As always, it's on the blog at https://hntdaab.co.uk/blog/2018/08/24/range-impression-spectre-gru-spetsnaz/

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
Interesting read. Especially useful identifying kit.

Offline Marine0846

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Excellent write up on the Russians.
Lots of different figures, very useful.
Semper Fi, Mac

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
And then Spectre release the FSB figures with 0.50" rifles and pistols!

Offline ChargeDog

• Scientist
    • My Blog
And then Spectre release the FSB figures with 0.50" rifles and pistols!

It's fine, they are FSB so don't count in the article looking at GRU :v (at least that's the excuse I'm going with)

Offline ChargeDog

• Scientist
    • My Blog
Monday has come round again so it's time for a new wargaming week.

As always, it's on the blog at https://hntdaab.co.uk/blog/2018/08/27/wargaming-week-27-08-18/

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
Re: ChargeDog's Adventures in Bazistan and Zaiweibo: Wargaming Week 27/08/2018
« Reply #381 on: August 27, 2018, 05:10:18 PM »
Another interesting read. Thanks.

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #382 on: August 27, 2018, 06:49:49 PM »
It'd be nice if someone were to make some after market modernisation kits fro those Empress vehicles. They're a bit dated for modern combat. For instance they do a BTR-80A, but not an 82A - which is currently seeing wider use (the layout of the turret module is different). Its something we could do ourselves, and probably too much of an investment for Empress, but with them continually releasing modern figures, it would be nice to have some vehicles that aren't quite so dated to go along with them. :/

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #383 on: August 28, 2018, 07:38:32 AM »
Good point Wyrmalia.

Empress have recently produced the T14 and the Tigr (the other "new" stuff has been Blitzkrieg and HLBSCo - which are a better fit for Cold War 1).

The new Bundeswehr could do with some wheels .

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #384 on: August 28, 2018, 12:00:33 PM »
Aye,  I've found that thus far Empress are slowly making more modern stuff, but currently we're treading water a bit when it comes to the "ultra moderns". The thing is though with that is that HLBS' range was likely "ultra modern" at the time of release, so its difficult for manufacturers to keep up (at least in this scale, 1/35th is better for it) with the latest innovations. More so when the today's tank in reality is quickly replaced.

It would be nice though if they were to come out with upgrade kits for the most ubiquitous modernisations of their kits that have appeared over the past decade. I.e. an armour kit for the Bradley. Though their stuff is still usable for say second line units, or less developed countries, those wanting top of the line gear have to do it themselves currently.

Spectre, with their proprietary kits, have done some variants for their Humvee that would modernize it. As have Special Artizan Service Miniatures indicated their intention to do something similar (they however have such a quick turnaround on their vehicles that they're capable of following trends in development).

I've asked for companies to do some ERA sets to modernize older vehicles .That's still up in the air whether that will happen - as the NATO ones at least tend to be specific to an individual vehicle in their layout, so you'd need a dedicated after market  kit per vehicle. Spectre have said they're doing a CROWs weapon system, which will go a ways to upgrading NATO vehicles too. But really, it is those armour kits which define modernized vehicles, but which are difficult to do at scale for say Empress' entire range.

Offline ChargeDog

• Scientist
    • My Blog
« Reply #385 on: August 28, 2018, 01:21:35 PM »
You know, it took me a second to work out why we were talking vehicle upgrade kits based on my last post.

I think the thing at the moment is ultramoderns is still an incredibly niche market and aftermarket conversion kits are a niche within that niche. For many gamers (probably most of them), as long as it basically looks alright then it's used. If it looks like a BTR, rolls along the board like a BTR and bursts into flames like a BTR, then does minor changes like the positioning of the hatches really matter? It's the same reason you see the massive variation in scales of civilian vehicles people use.

So from an economic perspective, when this project is taking cash out of something more lucrative (like a figure range), why bother spending the time on developing some thing that will either be seen as an additional hassle or just be home made. It's probably also the reason we haven't seen upgrades like cage armour or generic ERA blocks - it's a chunk of work and for the people bothered about it, they'll either custom build it themselves or find the local tech priest/converter to do it.

The natural answer of course is just to make ultramoderns less of a niche :v

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #386 on: August 28, 2018, 03:22:00 PM »
Yeah, I was being a grognard over the cover image for your post have a BTR-80A rather than a BTR-82A, which put me off on that whole spiel. I'd been considering making a 82 for my modern Russians, as that's what's seen wider service, but the 80A is still used as well of course (and I have an BPPU turret spare for a 30mm upgrade to an armoured car whenever I get around to it). :)

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #387 on: August 28, 2018, 05:55:52 PM »
Arlequin was making a similar point about all post 1945 being a niche on the Korea thread.

ERA and cage armour are interesting points, too generic and you might as well scratch build them, too specific and they sell to three people...

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #388 on: August 28, 2018, 06:44:41 PM »
A generic Soviet ERA and slat armour set could be useful though for those wanting to make some generic vehicles. For instance slat armour for a BTR-60 would do all the other variants. Though it would likely have to represent an ad-hoc set, rather than a proprietary one better shaped for the vehicle. Though I can see a generic brass etched set being a thing - with the user cutting the plates to shape, but at the same time that could be something that you do from Plasticard.

This is something more easily available in 1/35th due to the variety of kits and need of the market for accuracy. In wargaming scales most gamers probably don't know the difference between a BTR-60 and a BTR-70, so that a vehicle is lacking specific features is probably lost on most of the customer base for these companies. With those who are dedicated enough being willing to make them themselves, at least those who're wanting a degree of accuracy similar to say 1/35th scale (which I suppose isn't many).

Still, its a wonder that we don't have a generic ERA kit available, as it would be so universal for updating older vehicles, or militia vehicles. I may have to chase that idea again (or just make my own moulds ...if I can be bothered casting them at the scale you'd need for even one vehicle)...

* All this totally on topic for ChargeDog's thread. Meh, publicity! :)

Offline ChargeDog

• Scientist
    • My Blog
« Reply #389 on: August 31, 2018, 11:08:56 AM »
This week's post is now up! Part 2 of Project Humvee where I actually break out the paints and get to work. Also, planning the next one!

As always, it's on the blog at https://hntdaab.co.uk/blog/2018/08/31/project-humvee-stowage-and-painting/