Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 07:21:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: WF Zombie Sprues now for sale...  (Read 13477 times)

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Re: WF Zombie Sprues now for sale...
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2009, 01:13:36 PM »

I find all this debate about the quality of the figures a bit strange… From what I’ve seen, the WF Roman, if very well painted, fit the bill perfectly. I think that some of the people rattling about these figures are either unable to take the time to bring the figures to an acceptable level by using different painting techniques or too lazy to do so… I mean, it’s easy to do a good painting job on a perfectly sculpted figure but to do so, on a less than perfect one, need some time and some commitment. Everyone’s entitled to an opinion, you can like the figures or not, you have the right to say so but it seem a bit strange to go down on those who are willing to take the plunge and accept the challenge. For short, I’ve seen very lazy paint job ruining Perry’s miniatures and really good paint job bring Old Glory figures (and the like) to life.
A CANADIAN local hobby store with a small selection of historical wargames miniatures (mainly from Warlords). They also have a great selection of paint and hobby accessories from Vallejo, Army painter, AK Interactive, Green Stuff World and more.; https://www.kingdomtitans.ca/us/

Offline answer_is_42

• Mastermind
  • Mostly Harmless.
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2009, 01:33:53 PM »
have you seen old gory miniatures.....?

Heh, yeah, I'll agree some of Old Glory's are worse, but that's hardly 'alot' of manufacturers, is it?

@Calimero; a paint job may fix the detail issues, but it’s the figure’s proportions that I really dislike. Have you seen their Zulus? They remind me of GW’s plastic Catachans, which is not a good thing...
I told you so. You damned fools.
 - H.G. Wells

Offline anevilgiraffe

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • http://anevilgiraffe.blogspot.com/
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2009, 02:38:34 PM »
you shouldn't need to fix issues in a poorly sculpted figure with the paint job... and it's a hell of a paint job that can fix the flat pin heads of the Zulu War Brits.

Offline itchy

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2009, 02:54:25 PM »
I personally dont like the plastic ranges available (other than the Perry ones they seem to have got them right) nor do i like old glory,and there are a lot of inferior figures out there ,but each to his own and I know lots of people that buy the cheapest figures no matter what because they just cant paint so any figure would look poor. So I think if a figure is bought by anyone for whatever reason then it can only be good for our hobby, which seems to be growing at the moment. :)

Offline Howard Whitehouse

• Scientist
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2009, 07:33:59 PM »
An interesting discussion, gents.

It's good to be able to sell 12,000 zombies on the day they come out  :D

That's before the distributors and retailers pick them up. Or, indeed, before we have pictures posted (the figures only arrived on Wednesday). Tony is apparently the world's worst photographer as he confesses (and I confirm it - why is your thumb in there, and why is it blurred?)

I expect to have a package of figures on Monday. I'll try and take some photos that are halfway decent, although my own pics are less than award-winning.
I do all my own stunts

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2009, 09:00:23 PM »

Heh, yeah, I'll agree some of Old Glory's are worse, but that's hardly 'alot' of manufacturers, is it?

@Calimero; a paint job may fix the detail issues, but it’s the figure’s proportions that I really dislike. Have you seen their Zulus? They remind me of GW’s plastic Catachans, which is not a good thing...

Hmmm.... wasn't it you who asked what's wrong with GW's zombies? If you don't like the plastic catachans, how can you suggest people should use the zombieswhich are FAR worse models??
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline answer_is_42

• Mastermind
  • Mostly Harmless.
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2009, 09:13:12 PM »

Hmmm.... wasn't it you who asked what's wrong with GW's zombies? If you don't like the plastic catachans, how can you suggest people should use the zombieswhich are FAR worse models??

Honestly, I'm not entirely sure what the GW Zombies look like, I haven’t seen any in ages. Except for some heads I've lying around which I rather like the look of. ‘spose I can’t really answer that one, although I’m sure both sets are awful (Crapachans and Zombies)...

Offline twrchtrwyth

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Don't join dangerous cults: practice safe sects.
    • Deeside Defenders
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2009, 10:21:05 PM »
How can you guys be saying that this is good value when there arent even any frikken pictures of the zombies? Also, the feedback on the romans has been really bad and the celts look simply AWFUL. Seems odd to me that anyone would even consider buying models without actually seeing what they look like! Especially from a company that has an already shacky range. But hey, thats just me...

I mean if you want REALLY good value for money for zombies then just take your modelling knife to your lead mountain (you know the one I mean!), hack up those models you ALREADY have and paint them as dead dudes!

Indeed!
What's wrong with the GW ones?
He meant the WF ones. He didn't mention the GW ones. ;)
He that trades Liberty for Security will soon find that he has neither.

Benjamin Franklin

Offline answer_is_42

• Mastermind
  • Mostly Harmless.
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2009, 09:48:01 AM »
How can you guys be saying that this is good value when there arent even any frikken pictures of the zombies? Also, the feedback on the romans has been really bad and the celts look simply AWFUL. Seems odd to me that anyone would even consider buying models without actually seeing what they look like! Especially from a company that has an already shacky range. But hey, thats just me...

I mean if you want REALLY good value for money for zombies then just take your modelling knife to your lead mountain (you know the one I mean!), hack up those models you ALREADY have and paint them as dead dudes!

Indeed!

I was referring to the previous post by Col. Stone. Thanks for your support though... ::)

Offline Col.Stone

• Mastermind
    • The compound
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2009, 09:50:38 AM »
the hands,, the hands  ;)

Offline answer_is_42

• Mastermind
  • Mostly Harmless.
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2009, 09:59:30 AM »
the hands,, the hands  ;)

Ah! I see what you mean now!
Ever checked the relevant GW fluff? Maybe giant hands are a side-effect of becoming undead...

Offline Col.Stone

• Mastermind
    • The compound
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2009, 10:13:45 AM »
no i haven't actually,  ;)
wouldn't surprise me tho  lol

Offline twrchtrwyth

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Don't join dangerous cults: practice safe sects.
    • Deeside Defenders
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2009, 02:58:07 PM »

Indeed!

I was referring to the previous post by Col. Stone. Thanks for your support though... ::)
Calm down dear, it's only a post. lol

Offline Pil

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • One shot at glory
« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2009, 01:54:34 PM »
I think it's good news that the sprues are there and they're shipping (same for the celts). I haven't ordered yet but I promised I'd buy a sprue and I'll probably order a box instead while I'm at it. I would like to see some piccies too though and I'm probably ordering along with a friend to cut down on the shipping.
Let me hear the battle cry
Calling on the wind
Let me see the banners fly
Before the storm begins

Offline NECROSTONE

• Librarian
  • I've been dead a very long time. Care to join me?
« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2009, 01:57:08 PM »
Does anyone have any idea of when they will arrive in Blighty?

Many thanks

N
"An orphan's curse would drag to Hell A spirit from on high: But O! more horrible than that Is the curse in a dead man's eye! Seven days, seven nights I saw that curse, And yet I could not die."