Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 12:20:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689804
  • Total Topics: 118296
  • Online Today: 798
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: WF Zombie Sprues now for sale...  (Read 13484 times)

Offline Darkoath

• Mastermind
Re: WF Zombie Sprues now for sale...
« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2009, 03:40:27 AM »
WF just posted a sprue picture and some detail shots.

http://www.wargamesfactory.com/AnnouncementRetrieve.aspx?ID=21520

Offline Bako

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Loopy as a clock-work orange.
    • Hitting Dirtside
« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2009, 06:52:50 PM »
They look decent I suppose, but one can never truly judge until they see things 'in the flesh' as it is.
Everything is better with lizardmen.

Offline myincubliss

• Mad Scientist
    • dead lead project
« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2009, 09:55:25 PM »
Agh, I wanna see some painted up - the sprue picture makes the detail look a little soft, crappy painters like me need all the help we can get... (spent far too long today painting the fingers onto a clix Hellboy repaint... stoopid lack of clearly defined detail...)

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2009, 10:02:51 PM »
Distinctly underwhelmed - they look very "soft" detail like they've been left out in the sun.

:(

Offline Darkoath

• Mastermind
« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2009, 03:11:35 AM »
Don't zombies sort of start going soft and squishy when left out in the sun? lol

Offline Cosmotiger

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2009, 06:43:51 AM »
I have little interest in these either for or against, but... By those pictures, it seems to me that they are not yet getting the same level of sharp detail that GW is able to get with their plastics.  (And GW is the standard that 28mm plastics are going to be judged against).

Offline itchy

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2009, 07:49:26 AM »
I dont personally use any plastic figures but having the luxury of a local wargames shop that stocks all of them ,I would have to say the Perry plastics are by far the best,GW are a bit hit and miss some are as good as the perrys but others are poor, but each to his own and all of the plastics appear to be selling well.

Offline Pil

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • One shot at glory
« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2009, 08:28:42 AM »
I have little interest in these either for or against, but... By those pictures, it seems to me that they are not yet getting the same level of sharp detail that GW is able to get with their plastics.  (And GW is the standard that 28mm plastics are going to be judged against).

GW has years and years of experience in the field and WF are improving big time. I think these zombies will look good painted up despite the soft detail and I can't wait to have some in my hands and paint them 8)
Let me hear the battle cry
Calling on the wind
Let me see the banners fly
Before the storm begins

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2009, 08:33:01 AM »
It strimkes me that what they need to do at least is assemble their figures and undercoat them, its the same with many lead figures in the shiny lead you cant see the detail

Offline Pil

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • One shot at glory
« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2009, 08:37:26 AM »
I think you're right, the plastic is slightly transparent which makes the detail lookk even softer. That said, I still think a thick coat of paint can obliterate a lot of the detail.

Offline Cosmotiger

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2009, 05:10:34 PM »
It is true WF is a new company, but I do not know whether potential customers take that into account. I know that I personally do not.  I judge them against the plastics already on the market, that is, GW and Perry.  I agree that they seem to be working on improving their products.

Offline Howard Whitehouse

• Scientist
« Reply #41 on: March 04, 2009, 10:59:45 PM »
I'm biased, obviously, since I work for WF. I'd say they are a big step forward in terms of sharpness over, say, the Romans. The new Celts are better yet. What I would say is that, as zombies go, they are less cartoony than most. The hands are small and neatly done, and the heads are sized normally to the bodies.

Because they are closer to 'scale models' the details are not deeply engraved in the way we expect of metal figures, and so I deliberately avoided a mistake I'd made in the past, that of spraying too thick a primer coat, but painted directly onto the plastic.

Some of the detail, which looked great in the original virtual image, was too fine to come out well; one figure wears glasses with one lense smashed, but that was too subtle to come out. This whole process of designing figures so as to show well at 28mm is harder to figure out than I'd have guessed; I've certainly admired some heads, especially, only to see how much of the detail vanishes when translated into a tiny plastic item.
I do all my own stunts

Offline Onebigriver

• Mastermind
« Reply #42 on: March 04, 2009, 11:23:26 PM »
 In all honesty Howard, spray priming is par for the course, it helps the paint adhere to the plastic. A thick coat is a mistake, but no primer at all?
Waiter, my soup is giggling.

Offline myincubliss

• Mad Scientist
    • dead lead project
« Reply #43 on: March 04, 2009, 11:48:07 PM »
Because they are closer to 'scale models' the details are not deeply engraved in the way we expect of metal figures

Are we talking like Tamiya? (in terms of softer detail in plastic, I mean)

Offline Howard Whitehouse

• Scientist
« Reply #44 on: March 04, 2009, 11:57:24 PM »
Yes, I thought I'd see how it went with no primer at all (having done badly with my black primed redcoats). It seems fine - after all, nobody spray primes model aircraft, do they? (Okay, they didn't when I made them back in, ah 1970 ----).

I don't understand the Tamiya reference - can you explain that one?