Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 05:05:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689615
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online
Users: 4
Guests: 528
Total: 532

Recent

Author Topic: TMWWBK - Lizardmen vs Naval Brigade  (Read 1409 times)

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
TMWWBK - Lizardmen vs Naval Brigade
« on: February 16, 2017, 07:08:50 PM »
Had a day off today, and was able to persuade my eldest daughter to try out TMWWBK - due to figure availability it was rather more VSF than colonial, figure wise it was Lizardmen vs Naval Brigade. But stats wise it was Zulus vs British. As it was our first game with these rules, we kept things simple and went with standard leaders across the board. The leader rules are quite detailed, and this will perhaps be the hardest bit to represent in 10mm - perhaps I will introduce separate leader figures. Each stand represented 4 figures, irrespective of the number of troops on it.

The scenario was the suggested introductory one Just Passing By, where each force is trying to exit the far side of the table, casualties inflicted are a bonus but not key to winning.

The Lizardmen as a tribal force were the attacker, and as Tribal units get Move as their automatic action each turn, they are also not slowed down by rough terrain. I had 3 units of Fierce Warriors (the larger warriors) who are +1 to hit in Melee, and 3 units of Veterans (with more shrubbery on their bases) they are +1 Discipline, so they activate more easily, as Tribal units they are 16 figures strong.

The Naval Brigade, had 3 units of regular riflemen, 12 figures strong, whose automatic action is Fire. They also had a maxim gun, which was perhaps a bit of a liability in this scenario, as it moves slowly, but it gets +1 to hit when shooting, but doesn't get an automatic action.

The Lizardmen had the first turn, and making use of their automatic success at activating to move, ran forward en mass. I rolled for 1 veteran unit to double, and they moved laterally into the jungle area.  The Naval Brigade troops then failed several activations (only needing a 5+ on 2d6) so kind of stood around. The next turn or two carried on this way, the Lizardmen pressed forward on the right flank, with the Naval infantry moving across to try to engage them. The maxim went forward on the left flank, and got some long range shots at one veteran unit, pinning it (this unit is out of shot on the left). But while it was doing this two others were moving up under cover of the ziggarat.

At this point the Veteran lizards on the ziggurat charged the maxim gun - as you always need to roll to activate to Attack an enemy, for Tribal troops you may as well always Attack at the double, gaining 1d6" of movement. The Lizardmen rolled 16 dice needing 4+, the maxim rolled 4 dice needing 6+. The maxim crew managed to take 1 enemy with them as they were engulfed in spears. This suddenly cleared the far flank.

On the near side another unit of veterans moved forward to threaten a unit of Naval infantry, but weren't close enough to charge. At this point there were so many lizardmen units near to exiting, the Naval troops concentrated their fire on those trying to exit, shooting two units up, and pinning both of them. But this allowed the other unit to charge in the dice rolls favoured the lizards!!

This left the unit hanging on with just 1 figure left!!

The rest of the lizard units poured off the table

The thin blue line did its best, shooting up two units, causing repeated pins, and finally killing them. But it was too little too late.

The final score was 10 - 2 in the lizardmen's favour.

The Regulars suffered from failed command rolls and relatively slow movement - if they had been able to get on top of the ziggurat and shoot from their it might have gone differently. Though I suspect the lizards would have kept away from them, and chanced the long range shooting. With the speed and volume of Tribal units this seems a difficult scenario for the regulars.

We were going to have a re-match with alternative sides, but it was tea time!!

Offline 3 fingers

• Mastermind
Re: TMWWBK - Lizardmen vs Naval Brigade
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2017, 01:48:04 PM »
I was going to get those rules to try for vsf never got round to it.Great write up  :)

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2017, 05:30:54 PM »
Thanks, glad you liked it.  I was worried it had got a bit lost in VSF, rather than colonial.

While there is nothing particularly VSF in TMWWBKs, it gives a good solid big skirmish game. And it would be fairly easy to add in some extra VSF elements.

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2017, 02:23:02 PM »
So, the lass was the noble British troops? Are trying to discourage her from gaming?!?!? :o >:(

Bad luck early on can definately make catch up darn hard; doesn't sound like the dice would have allowed it anyway.  ;)

Still, impressive work, and she did her best to uphold their honor!

Doug

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2017, 06:31:04 PM »
Thanks Doug. Yes she was playing the noble British - she wins plenty of games (especially boardgames) so I wouldn't worry about the odd loss.

I do find with a new game, its quite hard to get the feel of it the first time, to know what will work and what won't. The scenario is very interesting, as it seems quite hard for the Europeans, as they can't just stand and shoot (which is good). But the Tribal troops have a big advantage in mobility, and even with a reduced gaming area, there are gaps for them to get through.