Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:28:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686589
  • Total Topics: 118109
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Empress Miniatures release new WW2 ranges.  (Read 9346 times)

Offline Paul @ Empress Miniatures

• Scatterbrained Genius
Empress Miniatures release new WW2 ranges.
« on: February 23, 2017, 09:14:43 AM »

Empress Miniatures 28mm World War Two

First Releases for a Major New Range

Well, this is a big day here at Empress Miniatures, and one that sees the release of a significant new range for us.

Firstly a little history. We first met Paul Hicks back in Empress's pre-history when he was the sculpting talent and part owner of an exciting new miniatures company called Bolt Action. His work during this time played a significant part in establishing what has become one of the dominant scales for World War Two gaming. Indeed many of Paul's World War Two figures are considered definitive to this day.

28mm World War Two has always been on the list for Empress (indeed our Italians represent our first steps in this direction) and we felt there were some serious gaps in what is currently available. Beyond this we were sure we aren't alone in wanting to see Paul back to one of his first loves and producing beautiful second world war sculpts again! We've been quietly waiting until we all felt it was the right time to take this step ...

So where do we start? Our ranges start with Late War World War Two American GIs. There are in the M43 uniform so suitable from autumn 1944 onward. Holland, Belgium, Ardennes, Hurtgenwald, Germany and all points between. This initial release is just the spearhead and we have more due imminently, including .30cal teams, bazooka teams, more infantry etc.

These will also work perfectly for Korea and, at a push, French Indo-China too. You can expect to see more releases very soon, along with painted examples etc. We will be approaching these in typical Empress style with a lot of depth and options allowing you to field really attractive and comprehensive armies on the table. We might also have a few surprises up our sleeves too.

These are size-compatible with all current World War Two ranges, particularly those already sculpted by Paul!

We will be producing everything you need for the most popular World War Two rules (Chain of Command, Bolt Action etc.). We'd love to hear your feedback and suggestions on this range so please get in touch and let us know what you think.

Cheers,
 Paul.

Offline NurgleHH

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spacelord
    • Victory Decision Vietnam
Re: Empress Miniatures release new WW2 ranges.
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2017, 10:50:11 AM »
The figures seems to be nice, but - being honest - not so neccessary. There is a lot of WW2 around in very good quality. I hoped for more visionary stuff from empress like the moderns (PLA,etc.) or SCW. But I think a company needs stuff bringing money for all the "side" projects. So WW2 will sell in the days of Bolt Action bring some numbers...

But, please, don't forgett the ECW and the Rest....
Victory Decision Vietnam here: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=43264.0

Victory Decision Spacelords here: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=68939.0

My pictures: http://pictures.dirknet.de/

Offline Mick_in_Switzerland

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2017, 11:09:01 AM »
I am also quite surprised as I thought late war was already well covered in 28mm metals and plastics.

Will you bring out late war Germans, especially SS in Erbsenmuster uniforms (pea dot) and Oak Leaf Smocks and Winter Parkas?
I do see an opportunity there.

Regards

Mick
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 12:22:58 PM by Mick_in_Switzerland »

Offline flags_of_war

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Flags of War
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2017, 12:04:15 PM »
They look great Paul. I think they could really tempt me into Late War WW2 with these  :o :o :o :-* :-*

Offline Keith

• Mastermind
    • Small Wars Blog
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2017, 12:19:01 PM »
Funnily enough this range was part-prompted by difficulties in trying to build exactly this army. There are some figures available for post-September (M43 uniform in particular) by they aren't complete or consistent. I play US and previously I had a real mix of greatcoats and all-sorts, from across several ranges (some of which are getting old now). Trying to field a company+ in the 'Fury' style wasn't easy.

43-44 US are better served in plastic and some metals, but the hard fighting into Germany generally means 'winter' figures for a lot of ranges.

Just a little insight into some of the thinking behind these. As mentioned in the release, there are a lot more to come very soon.

Oh, and the other ranges carry on regardless  ;)
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 12:21:38 PM by Keith »
An infrequent Blog http://small-wars.com

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2017, 12:21:07 PM »
Fantastic!  :-*

As it happens there aren't many late war GIs available in the M-43 uniform. Warlord's recent plastic US airborne is about the strength of it in 28mm. Those and the somewhat odd and OOP Wargames Factory GIs which are wearing canvas leggings. Having a proper range, sculpted by Paul Hicks is a very welcome development.

Now, if you wanted a potentially popular WW2 range that currently nobody produces, try US Army in the Pacific. More US army troops in the Pacific theatre than Marines, yet there's not a single figure available and no, they don't look like USMC. I reckon if someone did GIs in the herringbone twill uniform they'd clean up. In addition to the Pacific could also be used for North Africa and Europe. Their absence is a mystery.

Anyway back to the matter at hand, congrats Empress! Excellent choice of topic and sculptor.

Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline fraction

• Librarian
    • RvT Historical Miniature Painting & Gaming
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2017, 12:52:30 PM »
Another project with lots of opportunities ans a wide area of interest should be early/ mid war germans in greatcoats. Not much out there thats Not either really late or too specific.
Facebook site to share my brushwork: https://www.facebook.com/rvtpainting/

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2017, 12:56:22 PM »
Fantastic!  :-*

As it happens there aren't many late war GIs available in the M-43 uniform. Warlord's recent plastic US airborne is about the strength of it in 28mm. Those and the somewhat odd and OOP Wargames Factory GIs which are wearing canvas leggings. Having a proper range, sculpted by Paul Hicks is a very welcome development.

Now, if you wanted a potentially popular WW2 range that currently nobody produces, try US Army in the Pacific. More US army troops in the Pacific theatre than Marines, yet there's not a single figure available and no, they don't look like USMC. I reckon if someone did GIs in the herringbone twill uniform they'd clean up. In addition to the Pacific could also be used for North Africa and Europe. Their absence is a mystery.

Anyway back to the matter at hand, congrats Empress! Excellent choice of topic and sculptor.

My constant and presentment spam messages to do late war WW2 suitable for Korea has finally paid off it would seem.  :D
Doing a happy dance on this end.
Now all is needed is FOOs, Platoon support (1919s, Bazookas, super bazookas, M18 57mm recoilless rifle, medic, an M3 and the odd scoped rifle M1) and then on to company support assists!
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 01:03:47 PM by commissarmoody »
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2017, 01:01:53 PM »
As has been said, there were barely any '43 uniform U.S. available until now. While shoes and spats might have been de rigueur for the Army that landed in Normandy and the '43 pattern actively resisted by them for some time, it was introduced in Italy much sooner.

Seriously, I'm surprised that in a period that sees a new range of Fallschirmjager or obscure SS units brought out every five minutes, that anyone should look askance at a range that plugs a quite evident gap in what's currently available. That it's not a range sculpted with the 'Desperate Dan' faces of a certain manufacturer and is in fact by Paul Hicks, ticks all my boxes too.

What's next? Brits in 'Turtle' helmets? Bring it on I say!

So, full marks from me!  :)

My constant and presentment spam messages to do late war WW2 suitable for Korea has finally paid off it would seem.  :D
Doing a happy dance on this end.

I suspect NKPA and CPVA of the same quality might be a way down the line amigo.  :? 

Offline Johnnytodd

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2017, 01:11:46 PM »
Beautiful figures Paul!

I echo Carlos' sentiment in request for Early War US Army - especially Pacific.

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2017, 01:13:20 PM »
Get the Late War brits with the turtles and most commonwealth will also be kicked for Korea. (yes I know they changed up the collar or some such thing but toss a scarf on the service men and you got the 50s covered as well)

I am also excited because I can now do some of the cheesy 1950s coldwar gone hot and Martion invasion stuff with these guys. might have to check out the atomic café line again.  :)

As for the NKPA and CPVA sadly not for a bit. Just moved into a new place with all the cash that entitles and am going to school full time now. But if we can get some like minded folks to toss into a fundraiser. We might be able to do it.  lol

« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 01:29:13 PM by commissarmoody »

Offline Lardy Rich

• Scientist
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2017, 01:14:24 PM »
I disagree about WWII being well-served.  I think there is very limited choice out there and I am very pleased to see these.  They look really nice.

Rich

Offline Paul @ Empress Miniatures

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2017, 01:37:20 PM »
Thanks for the good comments guys. Some of you have immediately identified where we are going with this.  ;)

There is another load being sculpted and then more will quickly follow. Everything is planned and researched carefully as always with Empress.  

The first of the vehicles, a jeep,  is currently being moulded. Note in 1/50th scale so its true scale to the figures.

Keep looking for further announcements in a few weeks and details are always on our Facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/mailempressminiaturescom/

Cheers,
Paul

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2017, 02:14:23 PM »
Yes, should be a crowd pleaser with the 1950s Scifi crowd too. File the boot straps back and you are pretty much good to go up to the early 1960s.  There  is footage of US troops in Berlin in 1961 dressed pretty much like these. Actually  it might be worth thinking about doing some in Corcorans that would also pass muster for post war boots.

Funny old world ain't it? All of a sudden the two companies producing the best modern ranges have moved on to WW2.

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2017, 02:32:02 PM »
Well there''s gold in them thar (WWII) hills and the main competition is not all it could be imho. Perry's aside I only typically buy figures from those two companies that use 'those two sculptors', so that''s what it would take to get me buying WWII. 

I'm guessing 1/50 was a typo, as that would be one huge jeep next to Mr Hick''s usual size of figure.