Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 12:19:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689750
  • Total Topics: 118293
  • Online Today: 671
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Empress Miniatures release new WW2 ranges.  (Read 9399 times)

Offline Marine0846

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Re: Empress Miniatures release new WW2 ranges.
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2017, 02:33:45 PM »
Very very nice.
Glad you are going to do vehicles,
in 1/50 no less.
I for one love that scale.
Semper Fi, Mac

Offline M Blakey

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2017, 02:36:32 PM »
Best news this year so far! I was lucky enough to buy a couple of late war US troops from the old bolt action line and was gutted they never resurfaced in the switch over. Well done Empress can't wait to see what else is coming please say you'll be doing some 101st in the Bulge!

Offline Keith

• Mastermind
    • Small Wars Blog
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2017, 02:38:03 PM »
Well there''s gold in them thar (WWII) hills and the main competition is not all it could be imho. Perry's aside I only typically buy figures from those two companies that use 'those two sculptors', so that''s what it would take to get me buying WWII. 

I'm guessing 1/50 was a typo, as that would be one huge jeep next to Mr Hick''s usual size of figure.

Actually no :-)

Obviously these things are subjective, but some other companies already produce 1/56th Jeeps and (to our eye) they look seriously small compared to the real thing. The Perrys are an exception because their figures are 'true' 1/56th. It's less of an issue with armour, but the smaller vehicles have started to look like kids buggies in comparison to the real thing (again IMO). This has been scaled based on photographs and plans of the real thing.

Anyway, see what you think when it's released (which won't be long). It's a bit of a risk we'd admit, but knowing the real thing very well a Jeep still looks pretty big in a car park full of modern cars.
An infrequent Blog http://small-wars.com

Offline Paul @ Empress Miniatures

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2017, 02:41:56 PM »
I'm guessing 1/50 was a typo, as that would be one huge jeep next to Mr Hick''s usual size of figure.

No its correct and no it does not look wrong. My neighbour has an original which I occasionally drool over and I am 6'2" and it looks big with me in it.

If you look at original pictures they are very much military workhorses capable of all terrain as they should be and not toy pedal cars.

Offline Mick_in_Switzerland

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2017, 02:42:49 PM »
I think you are right.

Visually, I think that 1/50 or 1/48 vehicles look right with most of the popular 28mm figure ranges.
(Perry are noticably smaller)
This is very noticable if the figures have bases and the vehicles have no bases.

Mick

Offline Keith

• Mastermind
    • Small Wars Blog
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2017, 03:29:50 PM »
I'll be honest I've found 1/48 usually a little too big, but can fully understand why some folk go with them (especially when you take figure bases into account). We started doing 1/50th in our modern ranges as our preferred scale on the table after spending time around some the real vehicles.

I'm probably a heretic in that my only guide is that I don't tend to mix scales for the same vehicle in the same game. Otherwise I use a mix depending on what I can get  :). If Empress are commissioning vehicles though we aim for either what we already support (so 1/56th SCW) or 1/50th in a new range (such as our Moderns).

Over the years it seems scale creep was limited more to the figures themselves and vehicles didn't necessarily keep up, although I remember 1/60th being standard back in the dawn of 28mm WW2.

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2017, 03:37:20 PM »

One of the "problem" people have with 1/50th jeep may come from the fact that a lot of so called "1/50th diecast" small vehicles are actually 1/43th o_o

Anyhow, these a very nice figures for very late war US troops :-*
A CANADIAN local hobby store with a small selection of historical wargames miniatures (mainly from Warlords). They also have a great selection of paint and hobby accessories from Vallejo, Army painter, AK Interactive, Green Stuff World and more.; https://www.kingdomtitans.ca/us/

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2017, 03:53:44 PM »
Also since we did say some thing about Korea. With a little bit of mod work, they will work just find for lots of the U.N. troops and post WW2 US supplied nations. Hell some countries in NATO where using similar kit and M1s with their reserve/militia forces into the 80s.
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2017, 04:49:26 PM »
Well that was a surprise.  I like the look of these a lot and as they are Paul Hicks sculpts you know they will be good close up too.

Offline .:Gunslinger:.

• Scientist
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2017, 06:21:47 PM »
Omg I love you!  :-* Sorry :P

But this is perfect! Yes there are so many 28mm Minis on the market, but many have horrible faces and way off proportions. These here are just a dream come true!

Could you to late war germans as well? :-X ::) pleeeeeeease?
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 06:26:53 PM by .:Gunslinger:. »

Andrew_McGuire

« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2017, 06:30:40 PM »
I clicked on this thinking it would be an announcement that the projected 20mm WWII range to go with the ex-AB equipment was finally in production. Is it still planned? I like 28mm too, though I adopted it somewhat reluctantly for WWII, but 20mm will always be the primary WWII figure size as far as I'm concerned.

Offline Sparrow

• Mastermind
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2017, 06:45:43 PM »
Wow - not my period but lovely figures!
Put your trust in God and keep your powder dry!

Offline Tommy20

• Scientist
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2017, 07:05:33 PM »
I'm also excited to hear about this range, and happy to hear the vehicles will be 1:50.

We will be producing everything you need for the most popular World War Two rules (Chain of Command, Bolt Action etc.). We'd love to hear your feedback and suggestions on this range so please get in touch and let us know what you think.

One thing that I've been looking for is infantry carts for US, UK and German platoons.  They were very common, but aren't available for 28mm figures.

US

UK
https://paradata.org.uk/content/airborne-handcart

German

These would be really useful as Chain of Command Jump Off Points.
-Tommy

Offline Remgain

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2017, 07:09:50 PM »
Great news!

As you're asking for suggestions, may I suggest to have a look at the "support lists" of Chain of Command?
The right weapon, with the number of crewmen as suggested in the rules would be very useful (to CoC players of course!)
And I'm also thinking about engineer teams (flamethrower, demolition and mine clearing).

Anyway, great news, and another great set of sculpts by Paul!

Marco

We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.

George Bernard Shaw

Offline Daryl

• Student
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2017, 09:07:29 PM »
28mm ww2 that dont look utter rubbish.... about time,  unfortunately yanks dont interest me but il keep an eye out for any late war germans (ss)