Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 07:54:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690739
  • Total Topics: 118344
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: New Perry Releases  (Read 10309 times)

Offline Rob Herrick

• Librarian
Re: New Perry Releases
« Reply #45 on: May 11, 2017, 02:44:37 AM »
We have an embarrassment of riches regarding KwaJim these days. Part of me is sorry they are going over old ground that has been more than adequately covered already by Empress, and wishing they'd do some things we don't already have.

The rest of me is saying "bloody lovely!", however.
Aye, I'm in the same boat. I love the potentials to mix and match Perry and Empress, or Perry and Artizan, but we still have sizable gaps.

Mounted infantry for the Sudan. Dismounted cavalry for any theater. Mounted cavalry for the Northwest Frontier (lots of variety there). Artillery limbers and riders. Perry already makes a 10th Hussars for the Sudan, which also works for the 10th Hussars in Afghanistan, and the same for their Bengal Lancers. They just lack dismounts. The 10th Hussars were well known throughout the 1880s for the quality of their dismounted drill, and Indian cavalry fought lots of mounted and dismounted actions in Afghanistan.

The only dismounted regular cavalry I know of are Ral Parthas.

I would absolutely love a British or Indian cavalry plastics box, especially if they did it with dismounts and horse holders. A Hussars box, especially if it gave us options for Khaki tunics (as worn by the 10th Hussars) or the Attilla (as documented in Baden Powell's journal for the 13th), plus helmet swaps would cover most British cav. Similarly, you could do a Lancers box, with plastrons for the 17th in Zululand, and the mix of whatever for the 9th Lancers in Afghanistan.

I'll keep pressing on their Facebook page.

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #46 on: May 11, 2017, 11:19:06 AM »
Burmese.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline Munindk

• Mad Scientist
  • Denmark
« Reply #47 on: May 11, 2017, 12:32:56 PM »
Plastic cavalry would be great, especially if the can make the kit generic/multi conflict some how.

Offline londoncalling

• Bookworm
« Reply #48 on: May 11, 2017, 03:49:35 PM »
Lovely AZW characters, I wonder where they will sit size-wise ?

Close to Empress or between Empress and BTD ???

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #49 on: May 11, 2017, 03:59:09 PM »
Well if they are the same size as their Sudan range (and it would be a bit silly if they weren't) then they'll be a pretty-much perfect match for Empress.

With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline WillieB

• Mastermind
  • Gotcha!
« Reply #50 on: May 11, 2017, 05:11:57 PM »
As long as they stay away from the Indian Mutiny I'm relatively safe.
That said, I never expected them to do Napoleon in Egypt..... :)
Panic, Chaos and Disorder. My job here is done

Offline Leigh Metford

• Scientist
« Reply #51 on: May 12, 2017, 01:03:38 AM »
Old Glory makes dismounted Indian cavalry, Rob, although armed with MH carbines, so best suited to the 1890s.

Offline Mad Guru

• Mad Scientist
    • Maiwand Day blog
« Reply #52 on: May 13, 2017, 10:34:27 PM »
Agree with the sentiment re: dismounted cavalry being towards the top of the list of what's still missing in the world of 25mm-28mm colonial figures, but IMHO the very top of that list remains a wider selection of Indian infantry and cavalry types, specifically a greater variety of TURBAN wearing heads.

I have previously mentioned the same thing here on LAF and also on another miniature wargaming forum.  It would not be that difficult for a company to make Indian inf. and cav. figures c.1880 or c.1900 and offer them with a variety of seperately cast heads with different facial hair and turban styles.  I'm not crazy enough to expect 16 different versions covering almost every variation of Dogra, Jat, and Rajput, just 3 or 4 major styles maybe?  Though it can be argued that the entire genre of colonial miniatures is relatively small and sub-genre covering Indian troops even smaller, I'd like to think such a range could be successful.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2017, 09:22:51 AM by Mad Guru »
"We shall see what wisdom lies beneath my madness!"

Offline Arthur

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #53 on: June 09, 2017, 10:54:21 PM »

Anglo-Zulu War British lancers coming soon according to the Perry FB page. 

Offline RedRowan

• Scientist
« Reply #54 on: June 09, 2017, 11:45:47 PM »
Just ordered myself some of these. The dismounted lancers look very nice too.

Steve

Offline Arthur

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #55 on: June 10, 2017, 12:49:47 AM »
Yep, forgot to add them :

Offline LordSpode1879

• Scientist
« Reply #56 on: June 10, 2017, 12:57:48 AM »
Agree with the sentiment re: dismounted cavalry being towards the top of the list of what's still missing in the world of 25mm-28mm colonial figures, but IMHO the very top of that list remains a wider selection of Indian infantry and cavalry types, specifically a greater variety of TURBAN wearing heads.

I have previously mentioned the same thing here on LAF and also on another miniature wargaming forum.  It would not be that difficult for a company to make Indian inf. and cav. figures c.1880 or c.1900 and offer them with a variety of seperately cast heads with different facial hair and turban styles.  I'm not crazy enough to expect 16 different versions covering almost every variation of Dogra, Jat, and Rajput, just 3 or 4 major styles maybe?  Though it can be argued that the entire genre of colonial miniatures is relatively small and sub-genre covering Indian troops even smaller, I'd like to think such a range could be successful.

.....what he said!
Now listen to me you benighted muckers. We're going to teach you soldiering. The world's noblest profession. When we're done with you, you'll be able to slaughter your enemies like civilized men.

Offline Andrei1975

• Scientist
  • Пыль шагающих сапог
« Reply #57 on: June 10, 2017, 01:47:24 AM »

I agree. They look great!

Offline Mad Guru

• Mad Scientist
    • Maiwand Day blog
« Reply #58 on: June 10, 2017, 11:00:12 PM »
Those dismounted lancers look fantastic.  I am tempted to do a bit of conversion and use them as the 9th Lancers in Afghanistan, with cloth covers on their helmets and wearing their bespoke double-breasted & quilted khaki jackets, which I think could be relatively easily adapted from those double-breasted tunics.  My only hesitation... is that a few months or a year later the Perrys will release those figures too.  If I was on Facebook I'd post a question to them directly.  Maybe I'll ask one of my kids to do so...

Offline Andrei1975

• Scientist
  • Пыль шагающих сапог
« Reply #59 on: June 11, 2017, 08:49:04 AM »
Mad, and you do not think that at the beginning of the company they could wear their home uniform, and not hacks, as in this figure: