Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 05:27:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689615
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Hullo From Aus!  (Read 904 times)

Offline tjgreenway

• Bookworm
Hullo From Aus!
« on: February 26, 2017, 01:20:47 PM »
Hi all, been lurking for a while and figured it was about time I signed up, it's so refreshing to have found what seems like a friendly and mature place to talk toy soldiers at last  :) I'll run through the background quickly - I live in Australia now (Melbourne, although likely to be Brisbane by the end of the year), but grew up in England, moved out this way about four years ago to be closer to the wife's family. I work in hospitality, which makes arranging games tricky at times, but hopefully there'll be a change on the cards in a year or two, hoping to go back to uni and study soon :)

HeroQuest was my original introduction to gaming when I was about six or seven, I'm not sure I quite grasped all of the rules at the time but I remember playing many a game with my brother and dad back in the day and being enchanted by the dungeon crawl and fantasy setting. As the years wore on, that developed into an interest in GW games and their fiction, although I mostly collected the miniatures and played the odd game here and there with family, mostly Blood Bowl and LOTR and shamefully usually with unpainted miniatures. As I entered my teens, girls and rock music took over and the hobby took a backseat. Regrettably I ended up selling all of my miniatures back then, including my Black Library limited editions :(

Fast forward to about two years ago and I decided to delve back in, but it's been a slow process. I started off with Kings of War, but although I enjoyed the couple of games I played, I found painting a huge army tedious, especially after buying a bunch of Mantic models that I wasn't overly keen on in the end. So I headed back to GW and dived into AoS, really enjoyed the narrative and some of the gorgeous models, but soon realised I can't stand the fiddly assembly that comes with the new plastic kits and ended up with a bookcase full of unassembled models, which totally killed my enthusiasm.

It was always my intention to explore other genres and eras eventually, so I started looking around for other rulesets to play, preferably with generic rules that could be used to play quite narrative driven games and stumbled upon Pulp Alley, which appealed to both my sense of adventure (and love of Indiana Jones) and the bank balance. Since buying the rules, I've started to put together a few leagues for me and the wife (and anybody else I can rope into playing  :D ) made up of metal miniatures from the likes of Northstar and Copplestone, and I'm already enjoying the hobby so much more being able to focus on skirmish sized parties without all the fiddly assembly. In fact, in the last two weeks I've painted double the amount of miniatures I had in the previous two years  :o

So, I'm here to hopefully learn a few things and gather some inspiration from what's already on display (the site's already been massively helpful in researching miniatures and games systems over the last few weeks) :) As mentioned, I've started to paint up a few leagues, although I'm very much just beginning my journey as a painter and have a long, long way to go. I'll try and get some pictures up once I've got a finished league, though, and maybe some AAR's once I'm a bit more confident with the rules.

Well, a quick hello's turned into quite the essay, so I'll leave it there, but looking forward to talking toy soldiers with you all soon!  :D

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
Re: Hullo From Aus!
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2017, 09:24:12 AM »
Welcome, may your stay be productive to the imagination.

And there's a few clubs in Melbourne (along with Little Wars in May-ish) too if you're seeking inspiration.
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Offline d phipps

• Galactic Brain
  • Pulp Alley
    • Pulp Alley
Re: Hullo From Aus!
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2017, 09:49:51 PM »
Welcome aboard! So glad you are enjoying Pulp Alley. THANKS for giving it a try.  :D