Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:00:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Thicket  (Read 1132 times)

Offline kingsmt

• Mad Scientist
Thicket
« on: June 27, 2018, 07:21:34 AM »
I've  developed a new technique that I use for making dense brambles, or thicket, as it's called in America. It's not really anything new, but a hybrid of different well known methods for making terrain. I just combined them to fit my particular need.

I've been asked to write a tutorial on how to do this for a magazine, so I'll just show some examples of the work.
I'll publish a draft of the article on here later, but if you can't wait then PM me here and I'll explain how it's done.

These are just rudimentary pieces that have yet to be trimmed, teased or planted.
The final picture shows the unpainted armatures.

These will be terrific for the War in the South, as many, many battles were fought in the woods or on the edges of them. They will be bunched up
Once I tart these up a bit, they will look the bomb when planted! Whaddya think?

Offline Mr Tough Guy

• Mad Scientist
Re: Thicket
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2018, 09:45:14 AM »
Those look amazing, will be looking forward to the tutorial

Offline kingsmt

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2018, 06:35:49 AM »
Some in the UK have suggested that these are too large to use in the UK. I made these for the wilderness in the States, however these can be cut down to any length. A sharp scissors is all you'll need.

I may do a tutorial if there is enough interest.

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2018, 06:58:00 AM »
Please, consider me in.
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates. – Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2018, 07:40:54 AM »
Some in the UK have suggested that these are too large to use in the UK.

Weird. Perhaps they live in city centres  ;)

Plenty of semi open heathland and moorland across wide parts of the UK, and round where I live plenty of rough countryside, with open areas of grassland interspersed with woodland and farmland. All sorts of brakes and thickets - blackthorn, gorse, hawthorn, briar and bramble - often formed of great clumps of impenetrable shrubby vegetation, or liberally scattered in smaller patches across more open, broken areas of countryside. Thickets are actually a very characteristic feature of large areas of the British lowland rural landscape.

I’d say your creations would work pretty well to represent these unkempt woody tangles...