Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:37:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686596
  • Total Topics: 118110
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: My 3D printing Odyssey, final RPG instalment page 11  (Read 20578 times)

Offline Eric the Shed

• Galactic Brain
    • The Shed Wars Experience
Re: My 3D printing Odyssey
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2017, 09:31:04 AM »
This looks great and definitely a sign of future things...

It would be great if somebody could 'share' their journey -

eg what to look for in a printer, how it connects to the computer, where you can find free files, drawing new designs etc...

Offline zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2017, 09:49:34 AM »
The printer cost £299.00
Worth every penny.

It's almost bonus time (hopefully, fingers crossed) at work. I've been considering whether to add it to the pension pot (no tax  :D) or buy something. Finding that 3d printers are getting more affordable is not helping that decision  o_o

I got some stuff printed by Shapeways. While nice, they were also very expensive. I dread to think what that gallows would cost from them, but it would be a tad more than £1.36.

I applied a few coats of varnish to the Shapeways pieces (it was their cheapest WSF material), which did help. However, even after the varnish and two primer coats it still soaked in the paint :-[

Offline matakishi

• The Teacher
  • Galactic Brain
  • Cousin of Hammers
    • Matakishi's Tea House
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2017, 01:39:44 PM »
This looks great and definitely a sign of future things...

It would be great if somebody could 'share' their journey -

eg what to look for in a printer, how it connects to the computer, where you can find free files, drawing new designs etc...

I'll be adding more of those details to the 3D Printing page on my site but I'm happy to repeat them here.

Jennifer has an excellent thread on the DM's Craft boards about the printer I have
http://dmscraft.proboards.com/thread/3759/monoprice-maker-select-wanhao-duplicator

Offline matakishi

• The Teacher
  • Galactic Brain
  • Cousin of Hammers
    • Matakishi's Tea House
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2017, 01:41:05 PM »
I applied a few coats of varnish to the Shapeways pieces (it was their cheapest WSF material), which did help. However, even after the varnish and two primer coats it still soaked in the paint :-[

The PLA I use doesn't soak paint, it's like painting a plastic kit.

Offline Eric the Shed

• Galactic Brain
    • The Shed Wars Experience
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2017, 02:49:55 PM »
I'll be adding more of those details to the 3D Printing page on my site but I'm happy to repeat them here.

Jennifer has an excellent thread on the DM's Craft boards about the printer I have
http://dmscraft.proboards.com/thread/3759/monoprice-maker-select-wanhao-duplicator

I shall watch avidly - thank you Paul

Offline matakishi

• The Teacher
  • Galactic Brain
  • Cousin of Hammers
    • Matakishi's Tea House
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2017, 10:42:01 PM »
I've written a short article on my progress so far.
http://www.matakishi.net/3d-printing-odyssey.html

It explains some basics. If you'd like to know anything more please ask and I'll include it.

I bought a bigger printer today which will arrive on Monday. My current one needs a fault fixing which is proving more stubborn than I anticipated. With a new printer I can happily work on the Wanhao without the stress of not being able to print. Once I've fixed it I'll probably sell it on as, although I'd like to own two, I don't really have the room.

If you'd like a cheap 3D printer then watch this space (or get in touch early and reserve one :) No guarantee I will be selling yet though).

Offline matakishi

• The Teacher
  • Galactic Brain
  • Cousin of Hammers
    • Matakishi's Tea House
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2017, 11:37:37 PM »
My adhesion problems were entirely down to the crappy filament. Once I went back and read the reviews I found I wasn't alone.
The designer said to print the gallows without support but I don't see that top railing bridging the gap so I decided better safe than sorry. I was surprised the boat came out ok (although the underneath of the seats is stringy but you can't see it without searching). Usually I don't print with any support it's just coincidence that the hings I've painted first (and so shown off fist) had them.
Bigger things I do at 10% infill.
I bought an Omega I3, a small step up from my existing printer.
https://www.technologyoutlet.co.uk/products/omega-i3-3d-printer

Offline Mad Lord Snapcase

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Snapcase Hall, Much-Piddling, Devon
    • The Life and Times of Mad Lord Snapcase
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2017, 09:10:28 AM »
I've written a short article on my progress so far.

Very useful article, thanks. I don't know anything about 3D printers but I feel I need one!   ;)

I've been looking at the Dremel Idea Builder. Is there an advantage in having an enclosed printer? This printer apparently has a removable build platform for bigger items.

Offline matakishi

• The Teacher
  • Galactic Brain
  • Cousin of Hammers
    • Matakishi's Tea House
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2017, 10:06:56 AM »
Enclosed printers are better for printing in ABS as it's adversely affected by temperature changes (such as breezes).
I don't feel the need myself but I did look at a Dremmel because of the good reviews etc. In the end I went for cheap.
The machine I eventually want to get costs £2000 (give or take) so I'll probably by-pass the Dremmel.
I'll be getting a laser cutter before then anyway ;)

Offline Mad Lord Snapcase

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Snapcase Hall, Much-Piddling, Devon
    • The Life and Times of Mad Lord Snapcase
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2017, 10:10:45 AM »
Thanks for the info.

The machine I eventually want to get costs £2000 (give or take) so I'll probably by-pass the Dremmel.
I'll be getting a laser cutter before then anyway

Sounds great, I look forward to seeing more of this. 3D printer and laser cutter, every boy's dream!   ;)

Offline Relic

• Mad Scientist
  • www.lead-space.net
    • Personal hobby blog
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2017, 10:25:02 AM »
Sanding is difficult. The PLA is very resilient and slightly flexible and doesn't take sanding well.

Actually not true. I've been printing with FDM printer for 3 yrs, and have learned the tricks of the trade well. Your prints are ok, but you could get much better quality (depends of your printer ). PLA is easy to sand. There are differences with the different PLA brands, so never buy too cheap. When sanding PLA you want to use wet sandpaper. Also you need to start with high grade and go down to lower untill the surface is smooth. Never let the plastic heat too much, or it will ruin the surface. When you are done sanding, try different grades of steel wool. It will completely smoothen the surface.

Offline matakishi

• The Teacher
  • Galactic Brain
  • Cousin of Hammers
    • Matakishi's Tea House
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2017, 10:33:32 AM »
That's good to know but sounds like too much work ;)
I prefer to only print things that will work well as printed items, so I avoid smooth items for instance. (The apes were an exception because the printing lines add to the stone look)
I suppose if there was something I really, really wanted and couldn't get any other way such as a particular car I might print it and sand it but it would have to be very special to warrant the work.

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2017, 10:46:11 AM »
Glad to see you moving in on 3d printing as well, I always admire your work so I'm curious to see what you come up with!
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Offline black hat miniatures

• Mad Scientist
    • http://www.blackhat.co.uk/
« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2017, 02:22:09 PM »
I bought a Cubicon Style printer - only has a 6" cube bed but is contained, auto-levels and prints ABS perfectly with no problem adhering to/removing from bed.  I wanted to print ABS so I could then put it in vulcanised moulds for small parts for vehicles, etc.

It is a lot easier to draw something, print it, adjust it, print it, etc than fiddling with tiny bits of plasticard.

The sides and bench/springs on this 54mm wagon were designed and 3-d printed:

Mike Lewis

Black Hat Miniatures
www.blackhat.co.uk

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2017, 08:19:56 PM »
So, how's the Omega doing compared to the Wanhao?

I am seriously considering a purchase, but I have to be decide which one I should go for - I just read a review of the Danish Sculpto, that is can have problems with stls not included in the app that comes with it, which has cooled my interest in it.
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84