Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 10:28:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: (KICKSTARTER -- February 27, 2018) Monolith: Batman - Gotham City Chronicles  (Read 31793 times)

Offline tnjrp

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The dog, the dog, he's at it again
Monolith, of the Conan boardgame fame*, is coming up with a Batman version**. On KickStarter, of course. I don't think there's an official start date yet but one might assume it launches fairly soon since Monolith's Facebook header pic has changed into an add for it.

Some prototype pix of the minis can be seen at
http://arkhamcentral.forumactif.org/t501-batman-par-monolith

I'm feeling a foreboding of pledging for this o_o

---
*) http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=67940.0

**) Google translate from overlord.com says:
It is actually the same system as Conan, it is not something really new ...

But, I would say that we are significantly above in terms of complexity. There is more to be paid attention, for example, the blocking function no longer blocks, it is associated with a level of hindering. Blocker level 2 means that the total hindering is 2, for a single figure (but it can be 3,4 ... depending on the figures). So more calculation, but also more "realism" and fluidity. Still on the OL side, the OL characters also have abilities, which they can use INSTEAD of the attack. For example, do a manipulation, and in the relevant order. But it remains very fluid, the rules added are very thematic and logical, so it goes very well.

Saturation also appears on the OL boxes "reroll, defend and buy movement". It fills a lack of Conan. But the most vicious is that these boxes (especially the reroll) retain their gems throughout the tour, including during the turn of the hero. So if you have spent your 4 rerolls during your turn, you won’t have any left for the hero's turn, and your defenses will be less effective ...

On the heroes side, there is also a new possibility, the adrenaline. Without explaining, you will be able to do even more, but with a big blow of fatigue behind. A key concept for desperate situations ...

Heroes no longer die, DC universe obliges ... At 0 gem, they fall from starvation, and can slowly replenish their gem. But it will then be hard for them! But it is a real plus because it avoids the elimination of a player during the game, always unpleasant for the eliminated person. There he can continue to play, even if it is with reduced abilities (in gem).

---

EDITed to set the apparently official starting timeframe:
http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=98504.msg1283681#msg1283681

---

EDITed again to reflect the titles change and start date announced here: http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=98504.msg1319784#msg1319784
« Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 06:29:43 AM by tnjrp »

Offline eMills

• Scientist
Re: (KICKSTARTER -- but not yet) Monolith: Batman the Boardgame
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2017, 12:51:19 PM »
Obviously can't speak to game play at all, but the prototypes look great. I like them better than anything Knight Models has put out.

Hope the detail transfers well to production pieces.

~Eric

Offline supervike

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • supervike's stuff
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2017, 04:34:21 AM »
I feel a deep disturbance in the wallet.

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Ghazkull‘s Favorite Brainboy
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2017, 08:52:11 AM »
I've heard this a couple of weeks ago and have been caching money since. I loved Conan and am very eager to see Mythic Battles. Batman as a thir game would be awesome.

Batman, Batman, Batman nananananananananananana

Offline Giger

• Mad Scientist
    • Crucium Giger's Blog
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2017, 10:34:14 AM »
I so desperately didn't want this to look good.... oh well, guess I'll start saving now then.

Offline flags_of_war

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Flags of War
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2017, 11:25:43 AM »
I played Conan for the first the other week. I've never done the board game thing but i really enjoyed it and ill be backing this one for sure. It would be brilliant for the theme of the game, with an overlord leading all the baddies and a handful of goodies. It's were i think Knight Models game fails.

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Ghazkull‘s Favorite Brainboy
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2017, 03:32:10 PM »
I played Conan for the first the other week. I've never done the board game thing but i really enjoyed it and ill be backing this one for sure. It would be brilliant for the theme of the game, with an overlord leading all the baddies and a handful of goodies. It's were i think Knight Models game fails.

That, their fiddlyness and fragility as well as the price. I simply cannot afford like €20,- per model and then take hours to put them together a beautiful model that is however IMO not a suitable gaming piece.

Offline DS615

• Scientist
    • Fandango Alpha
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2017, 04:08:41 PM »
I so desperately didn't want this to look good.... oh well, guess I'll start saving now then.
The Scarecrow is missing his hat, and that's weird.
So hold on to that!
- Scott

Offline Sir_Theo

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2017, 04:14:54 PM »

I've got Conan and I think the gameplay is a bit of genius. I can definitely see how it would work in a Batman setting. For any Batman fan I'd imagine this will be a pretty much essential game.

Monolith have announced for Mythic battles that the game will only be available through their website. I'm not sure if this will be the same but if people are interested then the Kickstarter is probably the best way of getting it.

Offline tnjrp

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2017, 07:07:07 AM »
I wasn't in on the Conan KS but I hear that a lot of the stuff that was produced for the game is "KS exclusive". One wonders how much of the Batman stuff is going to be like that.

Offline eMills

• Scientist
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2017, 08:37:31 AM »
I wasn't in on the Conan KS but I hear that a lot of the stuff that was produced for the game is "KS exclusive". One wonders how much of the Batman stuff is going to be like that.
The Mythic Battles KS had some too, so I'd guess this one will have a bit. Definitely more than I'd like. I hate exclusives...

~Eric

Offline flags_of_war

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Flags of War
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2017, 09:16:05 AM »
Off topic but you can still back the Mythic Battles KS. I backed it the other. Some great looking minis.

Offline wellender

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2017, 06:08:57 PM »
They just extended the pledge manager until March 21st.  So, Maybe.

Offline flags_of_war

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Flags of War
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2017, 07:08:55 PM »
They just extended the pledge manager until March 21st.  So, Maybe.

Yeah i back it the day. Sadly Batman won't start until Mythic Battles has been delivered. Nearly two years we have to wait :(

Offline tnjrp

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2017, 07:16:17 AM »
Well, they said "early 2018" too so maybe it's only about one year until this starts. This is a really distant early warning* then, but maybe Monolith can use the time to get feedback and/or preproduce some stuff so the delivery is quicker.

---
*) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrDj5XvZXX4