Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:56:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: “Fire in the hole!” - time to kick some ass!  (Read 36370 times)

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Vietnam village - Hu'o'ng Bò
« Reply #45 on: April 21, 2017, 06:44:07 AM »
Having looked closely at the stuff on my visits, I'm fairly certain it grows like that anyway.

So, I've finally put the stalks into that one board!   I think I will do a second though now before the next stage so I can finish two off at least whilst I have the will power!

Just a little tip, notice the deliberate cutting to be able to place the two pieces in such a fashion as to have effective looking paths when placed on the board.  This is useful when making larger area vegetation pieces as opposed small clump pieces.

Anyway....more planting.....

Offline marianas_gamer

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Our Man on Guam Watchman in the East
« Reply #46 on: April 21, 2017, 06:59:03 AM »
Very nice. I was planning on doing the exact same thing. I always use cork backed coasters and I have the same bamboo that you purchased. It is nice to have such good looking work as an example. Oh, and yeah bamboo grows the same way here on Guam. You nailed it! :-*
LB
Got to kick at the darkness till it bleeds daylight.

Offline Hupp n at em

• Mastermind
« Reply #47 on: June 30, 2017, 05:27:21 PM »
That scenery is coming together nicely!  :)

Offline hayeswauford

• Librarian
    • History, Hexes and Heroes
« Reply #48 on: August 30, 2017, 04:50:05 PM »
Everything is looking great- enjoying the progress! Keep it up!

Offline Eric the Shed

• Galactic Brain
    • The Shed Wars Experience
« Reply #50 on: September 04, 2017, 08:43:26 AM »
Great project !

Just got back from Vietnam myself and I can testify that it is a very beautiful country.

Offline Littlearmies

• Scientist
« Reply #51 on: September 13, 2017, 01:24:49 PM »
Great project !

Just got back from Vietnam myself and I can testify that it is a very beautiful country.

My brother in law said the same thing - he said it seemed a shame to bomb the shit out of it....

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #52 on: October 17, 2019, 09:29:17 AM »
Dragging this one back up.  I hung this one up for a number if reasons but partly as I decided to wait for Empress to release their  Nam stuff.  That and having to put everything in storage as I prepared to move house.

Anyway, my first order went in last week and a few marines are threading my way.  I wasn’t as struck on the TAG figures I received but I will see if they can match in.

A departure from my original direction, as the figures arriving are Marines, the Hueys are not that important but a die cast 1:55 CH-46 arrived in the post yesterday.  That will need repainting.

The Sea Knight holds 17 guys, so a pair of them for my platoon and 34 marines is a good limit for the size of game I foresee.

Anyway, the first order of business is to get these bamboo forests finished.  I will be taking a good look at them in the next few days......
« Last Edit: October 17, 2019, 10:27:21 AM by Digits »

Offline Paul @ Empress Miniatures

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #53 on: October 17, 2019, 10:25:23 AM »
HUZZAH back behind the plough  lol I accept all responsibility.

Made my jungle about three years ago in expectation so only painting toys now. However Jungle is great fun to do and great therapy. It also keeps Chinese plastic aquarium plant farmers employed  ;)

We need to sort a game sometime now you have moved further south.  ;)

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #54 on: October 17, 2019, 10:29:04 AM »
Indeed that would be great Paul.  Let me get some stuff painted and we can set something up next year perhaps.

Also thank you to Ash, he’s given me some painting advice for my Marines.  Vallejo paints ordered (all mine are GW) and renedra 20mm round bases. 

« Last Edit: October 17, 2019, 11:28:13 AM by Digits »

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: “Fire in the hole!” - Vietnam revisited - boo-coo bamboo !
« Reply #55 on: October 17, 2019, 06:01:49 PM »
And what great timing....arrived home to find postman has delivered both the Vallejo paints I ordered just Tuesday evening and my first Empress Marines.

First impressions are pretty damned fine figures (perhaps too fine, my prone guy is missing a muzzle but I may be able to drill in a bit of wire).  Detailing is superb and nice rifle slings.  Very little flashing to deal with.  I bought the radio operator sets, which come with lead whip aerials which are very fine.  I will replace mine with a little florist wire I suspect, better for my sausage fingers 😒

Looking forward to painting up a test mini.  I will need one early doors to contrast and show off my bamboo which is really the first job to tackle.

Also in the pic, the Newray 1:55 scale CH-46.  Pretty good model, perfect scale.  The “die cast” model is actually mostly a hard plastic. (Edit: NO IT ISN’T !)  This may be useful as I’m debating cutting out the door window and the observation “bubble” hatch as this is the gunners position in most pics I’ve seen.  If I find a suitable gunner small enough to pop in the open hatch, it will get done.  The rear ramp also comes down.  Adding in a little floor plate detailing and a ramp gunner is also on the cards.  Repainting it obviously as needs to be green.  I need to look out for decals to replace those I will end up covering up.  As I mention above, a second of these will be my platoons transport sorted.

A few reference pics

« Last Edit: July 15, 2021, 08:04:03 PM by Digits »

Offline Paul @ Empress Miniatures

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #56 on: October 17, 2019, 06:27:33 PM »
E mail us about the damaged figure and we will send a replacement  ;)

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #57 on: October 17, 2019, 06:30:19 PM »
Aww cheers fella...great customer service!

Offline Ash

• Mastermind
    • Ashley Straw.com
« Reply #58 on: October 17, 2019, 06:50:59 PM »
Great line up for the kick off..!
Interested to see how the bamboo turns out, I have a load of that languishing in a box of assorted eBay purchases from the land of plastic....

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #59 on: October 18, 2019, 02:17:18 PM »
Well here is the next stage.  Loosing the will to live glueing in each piece!  For now I will work with these four pieces.  I can do more later on.

To be honest, this bamboo I got is a bit pants.  Most of the wires are not well coated in plastic, so you have to chop off a fair inch or so on most foods.....but, it does then give you a little variety in the heights....

I’ve added in a nice little aquarium ornament I found at a pet shop.  Tbh...you will all be shopping in one for your plastic jungle foliage so keep your eyes open.  A hidden piece in the thicket makes it more interesting to look at.

I am NOT painting each piece as I’ve seen some done, life’s too short so I want a reasonable effect once finished.  First thing I have done is spray army painter dessert yellow on the lower stems.  In my head....the older wood with lower level browned leaves as the stuff grows and cuts off the light.  Now I need to wash the stem with dirt brown sand them all.....😩