Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 04:10:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689697
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: 40k on a desert planet - oldhammer chaos beasts  (Read 16644 times)

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
Re: 40k on a desert planet - Here we stand! Older Eldar miniatures.
« Reply #45 on: April 25, 2017, 03:33:19 PM »
Great paintjobs, and your photoshop skills are nothing to scoff at either!

I really like the idea of creating a world to serve as background fluff for a multitude of forces you assemble.

Back when the Bolter and Chainsword forum was my regular haunt, I started doing the same. I wrote fluff for an out of the way Agri world, recently cut off from the rest of the Imperium by warp storms, called Vorten's Gem. 

An Imperial Navy convoy, with its contingent of remnants of several Guard regiments was trapped there, so they settled on-planet. There was a saint's shrine in the ruins of it's only large city, guarded by a small Sisters order, an Arbites precinct, Eldar scouts were secretly searching the planet for a lost relic, a Genestealer Cult was slowly plotting to convert the dwindling human population and Dark Eldar irregularly raided the system . Also there was a Necron tomb on the moon of one of the gas giants in the system, and an Adeptus Mechanicus listening post on another. There might even have been something chaotic to be found elsewhere in the system.

This enabled me to give all of my (fledling) armies to have a background of my own making.

I just like world building I suppose. The entire idea of creating your own background world though, was published in White Dwarf back when Fat Bloke was still running the show. Now if only I could remember the issue number (because like heck I'm going to read thorugh hundreds of issues just to find this one little article... lol )

Please keep up your work; it's very inspirational. I abandoned 40K many years ago, but the setting has always held an attraction. And with the now available new Shadow Wars rule book, I can see myself revisiting this long forgotten project and revive it. If only because of the great example you've set! 8)
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline 3 fingers

• Mastermind
« Reply #46 on: April 26, 2017, 04:58:57 PM »
You missed out the orks daeothar  lol
That's what I liked about the rogue trader /early edition 40k the background fluff.

Offline Steam Flunky

• Mastermind
  • Stop the world.I want to get off!
    • My Miniature collections on Flickr
« Reply #47 on: April 29, 2017, 07:45:57 AM »
Back when the Bolter and Chainsword forum was my regular haunt, I started doing the same. I wrote fluff for an out of the way Agri world, recently cut off from the rest of the Imperium by warp storms, called Vorten's Gem.  

An Imperial Navy convoy, with its contingent of remnants of several Guard regiments was trapped there, so they settled on-planet. There was a saint's shrine in the ruins of it's only large city, guarded by a small Sisters order, an Arbites precinct, Eldar scouts were secretly searching the planet for a lost relic, a Genestealer Cult was slowly plotting to convert the dwindling human population and Dark Eldar irregularly raided the system . Also there was a Necron tomb on the moon of one of the gas giants in the system, and an Adeptus Mechanicus listening post on another. There might even have been something chaotic to be found elsewhere in the system.

This enabled me to give all of my (fledling) armies to have a background of my own making.

I just like world building I suppose. The entire idea of creating your own background world though, was published in White Dwarf back when Fat Bloke was still running the show. Now if only I could remember the issue number (because like heck I'm going to read thorugh hundreds of issues just to find this one little article... lol )

Just the same as i am doing. Great fun isn't it.
World building started for me after i bought Dungeons and Dragons in 1978. At that time there were very few modules and as i had very little money i could not afford them anyway, so i spent most my time creating worlds with loads of maps and background.

I have also used the "cut off from the rest of the Imperium by warp storms" trick for planet Torq XLII to keep things smaller and in control.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 02:06:17 PM by Steam Flunky »
laf medals by Robert  (steam flunky), auf Flickrhttps://www.flickr.com/photos/torq42/sets/

Offline Steam Flunky

• Mastermind
« Reply #48 on: May 01, 2017, 02:23:59 PM »
Rippers!
Eldar and kroot are not the only dangers on Torq XLII for the squats. Packs of rippers can strip a man to the bone within a miniute.

Old 40k squat miniatures.
Effects done with Photoshop Elements 11.

[/url]

« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 07:11:22 PM by Steam Flunky »

Offline Ragsta

• Scientist
Re: 40k on a desert planet - Rippers attack squat unit.
« Reply #49 on: May 01, 2017, 11:34:52 PM »
Lovely atmospheric photos.
Hahaha are those 10mm dinosaurs? Magister Militum? I use some as 'giant lizards' myself.

I spotted those converted crests on your Eldar shuriken guardians - so cool! I really liked those models, even though they were just plug ins :)

Keep up the great work.

Ragsta

Offline chickenbane

• Scientist
« Reply #50 on: May 02, 2017, 05:49:21 PM »
This is bloody brilliant! It has given me plenty of inspiration too! Thanks very much!
Paraquat Welcomes Careful Drivers a sort of narrative blog.

Slag Valley Bullett in the grim darkness of the far future, there is a newspaper.

Offline Steam Flunky

• Mastermind
« Reply #51 on: May 03, 2017, 04:34:04 PM »
Thanks a lot.
Lovely atmospheric photos.
Hahaha are those 10mm dinosaurs? Magister Militum? I use some as 'giant lizards' myself.
Hi Ragsta, as far as i can remember they 28mm miniatures from HLBS - http://www.hlbs.co.uk/product.php?id=767

Offline Steam Flunky

• Mastermind
Re: 40k on a desert planet - Firefight
« Reply #52 on: June 01, 2017, 05:30:59 PM »
Firefight
A kroot MG in the middle of a firefight on Torq XLII.

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
Re: 40k on a desert planet - Firefight!
« Reply #53 on: June 02, 2017, 09:40:20 PM »
Very nice use of the effects to frame the image you've created.
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Offline number1section1

• Bookworm
« Reply #54 on: June 02, 2017, 11:16:29 PM »
Awesome painting and photos. I always preferred the kroot to the Tau, loving the kroot machinegun perfectly fits the kroot technology level  :)

Offline Steam Flunky

• Mastermind
Re: 40k on a desert planet - Squat mole mortar battery
« Reply #55 on: August 16, 2017, 02:03:35 PM »
A squat mole mortar battery in action during the Battle of Trader Town on the mining planet Torq XLII.

I still love these old squat models from GW (well, at least the regular Imperial Guard types - not the bikers)
Effects done with Photoshop Elements 11.

[/url]
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 02:07:04 PM by Steam Flunky »

Offline AWu

• Mastermind
    • War is the H-word
« Reply #56 on: August 16, 2017, 05:06:46 PM »
Glorious... You should do Osprey styled booklet about the campaign with those photos :>

Offline Steam Flunky

• Mastermind
« Reply #57 on: August 16, 2017, 08:20:43 PM »
Glorious... You should do Osprey styled booklet about the campaign with those photos :>
Thanks. I dont expect that to happen but it is fun to think about!

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #58 on: August 16, 2017, 09:34:41 PM »
Yeah, this stuff is gold. :D
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline Wachaza

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #59 on: August 17, 2017, 08:11:08 AM »
Lovely models and atmospheric photography. Looks like it's out of a Forge World book.