Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 12:22:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690766
  • Total Topics: 118348
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Kong: Skull Island (2017) Legendary (Potential Spoilers!)  (Read 4753 times)

Offline Manchu

• Mad Scientist
    • Life on Jasoom?
Kong: Skull Island (2017) Legendary (Potential Spoilers!)
« on: March 11, 2017, 06:39:28 AM »
Looked but didn't find a thread on this MASSIVELY FUN movie. I would've thought this picture would be right up your alley, Pulp! (whoops pun) Because you remember how Legendry's Godzilla back in 2014 was kinda bland and pretentious and had way too little of Big G? Well, I can't believe I am typing it, but Hollywood actually learned the correct lessons from those mistakes. And so Kong: Skull Island is a crazy pulp rollercoaster. I can't wait to see what kind of miniatures gaming projects it inspires ... like a river boat converted from a P-51 and a Zero. I heartily recommend this one guys!
« Last Edit: March 12, 2017, 08:34:57 AM by Westfalia Chris »

Offline Cherno

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Kong: Skull Island (2017) Legendary
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2017, 09:17:50 AM »
It's not really "miniature gaming" if it's abouta 40-metre tall ape, right?  lol

Offline Manchu

• Mad Scientist
    • Life on Jasoom?
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2017, 09:52:01 AM »
Hey, he's approx 22 inches in 1/56.

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2017, 11:14:13 AM »
Hey, he's approx 22 inches in 1/56.

We're gonna need a bigger ape.

Here in Germany, the film only launched this Thursday, but I'm planning to see it this weekend. The trailer looked promising, the press critics are panning the damn dirty ape to hell, and if they got the hairstyles and pacing right, I think I 'm going to like it.

Offline Manchu

• Mad Scientist
    • Life on Jasoom?
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2017, 12:07:05 PM »
Only came out on Thursday here in the US, as well. It's not a masterpiece or anything.

The characters are largely forgettable, including the leads. John C. Reily's Lt. Marlowe is probably the only worthwhile character (he's also the only established cast member giving 100%). But this movie is not about characters. Consider the plot: go to Skull Island then immediately try to survive escaping Skull Island. It simply doesn't require much characterization. (I don't think a single one of them even had an arc.) Even the main plot complication hinges on a clearcut revenge motive.

As you might gather, there isn't much of a story either. I guess if you squint, so to speak, there is a quasi-Lovecraftian/environmentalist message about human insignificance. This planet belongs to the kaiju, not us. But ... as it turns out King Kong actually kind of likes people, or at least some people, which kind of muddies the thematic waters. So it's not really a story-driven movie, either.

I'd say this picture is setting-driven. It's about an exotic, dangerous place. The film is basically a vicarious expedition. And Skull Island is an absolute wonder to vicariously explore! It's not just pretty - it absolutely teems with the fantastical. I could have enjoyed the movie almost as much if it was shot as a nature program hosted by Lt Marlowe.

But of course exploring Skull Island is not even the main feature. I showed up to see King Kong, er, go ape. Unlike Legendary's Godzilla, which only spared a very few moments to show Big G kicking ass, Kong: Skull Island serves up loads of massive-scale ape fury. The theory of Gareth Edwards's Godzilla seemed to be, if there is a lot of it then we won't sufficiently appreciate it. WRONG! (And condescending to boot!) There can be tons of monster fighting as long as the fights are good. And boy are they good!

To sum up: See this movie for the fascinating "ecological" world-building and the thrilling monster mayhem. Unlike other fantasy movies (e.g., Rogue One), Kong: Skull Island has no pretensions of grandeur beyond sheer spectacle and classic kaiju fun.

Offline Wolf Girl

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2017, 06:20:43 PM »
I saw the previews and it looked decent. We'll probably see it eventually. Our Pulp Alley: Perilous Island campaign was partly inspired by Skull Island.  ;)

Mila Phipps, Pulp Girl
mila@pulpalley.com

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Ghazkull‘s Favorite Brainboy
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2017, 06:35:33 PM »
Just read a devastating criticism in a famous political journal (Der Spiegel), which got me interested and wanting to write them they should stick to politics and not venture into the realms of giant monster movies! Then discovered pretty decent reviews in many other places and now am hoping to see it tomorrow or next weekend!

And: does anyone know if a gashapon series compatible to the 2014 Godzilla-Set is released?

Offline Gundamentalist 5.56

• Scientist
    • http://www.theblackseal.org
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2017, 07:37:17 PM »
Stay to the end of the credits for what the sequel is going to be about....

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2017, 07:49:59 PM »
...(I don't think a single one of them even had an arc.) Even the main plot complication hinges on a clearcut revenge motive...

Wait, what about 'Dear Billy'?   :D

Okay, I basically got dragged there yesterday, had little expectations, and there was so much WRONG with it.

However, completely smashed, forget suspended, my disbelief. I had a fine adrenaline-pumped high by the end. What he said about the 'fun'.

Doug

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2017, 08:04:15 PM »
Just read a devastating criticism in a famous political journal (Der Spiegel), which got me interested and wanting to write them they should stick to politics and not venture into the realms of giant monster movies! Then discovered pretty decent reviews in many other places and now am hoping to see it tomorrow or next weekend!

I read that one, too. Not wanting to go too much into politics territory too much (I think the columnist had a bit of an agenda), unfortunately, some of it is true.

I just came back from watching it and found it to be watchable, but mediocre with a pinch of meh. Best thing that endeared it to me from the start, no Jack Black, but, and I never thought I'd say that, Samuel L. Jackson is working real hard to be as obnoxious and annoying.

Great visuals, if a bit strainful in 3D. Kong is very convincing, in as far as a 100ft gorilla can be.

IMHO, it falls flat in making the most of its visual cues and is not really convincing as a period piece, but I also found the two X-Men movies set in the 60s and 70s to be nice, but not convincing, either.

On a cinematic level, it seems to be a piece by a creative team and director who pieced together many established bits and tropes, but failed to give them an individual spin. Its many little vignettes are a bit roughly-jointed and in part very predictable, but it could have been much more than it worked out to be. Pacing is okay, with some lengths in the middle part. Also, not enough proper dinosaurs for my liking.

Interestingly enough, I can only remember the name of one character who was eaten off-screen halfway through the movie.

That said, decent enough entertainment, but nothing extraordinary. If you like monster movies, I think you'll like this one, and I don't think it is a case of "wasted money". I am inspired to expand my 2000AD project with a Flesh! sideline, though, but I wasn't "hobby giddy" upon leaving it. I will consider seeing a sequel (as hinted by the post-credits scene) based on the visuals.

Offline Manchu

• Mad Scientist
    • Life on Jasoom?
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2017, 08:22:34 PM »
The NPR reviewer wrote something like, Kong's pop culture account is all withdrawals and no deposits - a tough but fair criticism IMO.

I think people will be able to look back on the picture and say - "yep, that one had generous helpings of really great monster fights." That's more than I can say for either Jackson's King Kong or Edwards's Godzilla.

Interestingly enough, I can only remember the name of one character who was eaten off-screen halfway through the movie.
I think I can guess who you mean. Keep in mind the script takes great, great pains from the moment this character is introduced to get you to remember the name because there is a plot point that turns on the character's absence.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2017, 08:28:50 PM by Manchu »

Offline Andym

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2017, 07:36:37 AM »
Well, I actually REALLY enjoyed it! The trailers, for me, didn't impress me and I wasn't looking forward to seeing it, but went last night anyway(unlimited cinema cards make you watch more things than you normally would!)

It's a good Saturday night popcorn flick! It doesn't take itself too seriously! To me, it knows it's about a 50foot gorilla and doesn't try to go for the oscar for best ape!

Special effects are great and the 3D for me, was the best since Avatar! It actually worked properly for a change!

My only gripe(and I'm hoping someone will correct me), is right at the start, they take a tanker to the island with 3 military helicopters on it and it also has 2 big helipads for 2 big support helicopters.....where do the other 20 helicopters suddenly appear from? :?

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2017, 07:53:40 AM »
I haven't seen this yet but I am a bit confused....where does the Jackson Kong fit into it? Is it like that never happened? Because Kong like, died in that one.
I am going to build a wargames army, a big beautiful wargames army, and Mexico is going to pay for it.

2019 Painting Challenge :
figures bought: 500+
figures painted: 57
9 vehicles painted
4 terrain pieces scratchbuilt

Offline Andym

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2017, 08:06:25 AM »
It doesn't at all! Just forget that happened when you go and see this! No Empire State Buildings were damaged in that universe!

Offline Andym

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2017, 08:09:14 AM »
Oh, something else I meant to ask you all.......the advert here in the U.K. For the film has John Goodman saying "the nuclear tests on the island weren't tests.....they were trying to kill something!" That bit IS NOT in the film! :?