Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 04:51:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686609
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 626
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online
Users: 8
Guests: 518
Total: 526

Recent

Author Topic: Kong: Skull Island (2017) Legendary (Potential Spoilers!)  (Read 4700 times)

Offline HerbyF

• Mastermind
  • Why fear nightmares when you can be one
Re: Kong: Skull Island (2017) Legendary (Potential Spoilers!)
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2017, 02:56:18 AM »
I went to see it last weekend. I would recommend it. It was fun, lots of action, full of ideas for future games. It's a pulp fantasy movie. don't try to read too much into it, take away what you can & have fun.
LHV 2015 +200 2016 +770 2017 +636 2018 +888 2019 +1015 2020 +656 2021 +174 2022 +220 2023 +312 2024 +95

Offline Eccentric Cowboy

• Assistant
    • Eccentric Cowboy Blog
« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2017, 04:04:09 AM »
Is it too late for me to get in on this game?

I found myself amazed at how polarizing this movie was. It either did things amazingly or awfully. There was no in between. Kong is fan-frigging-tastic. I speak as someone who watched the original 33 movie all the time as a kid. I did appreciate how this wasn't a soft reboot, sequel, remake, or anything like that. It was just it's own thing. Also I like how it went to the 70's instead of modern times. Seriously, why do all remakes have to take place in modern times? I'm looking at you Tom Cruise Mummy...  >:(

Characters? Meh. Well, besides our pilot buddy. He really shocked me. Plot? Meh. I feel like they were overcompensating for the lack of action in Godzilla and slow pacing of the Peter Jackson movie. Learned from the mistakes, but tilted too far in the other direction. Had it been more balanced it would have been amazing. But even now I feel the itch to watch it, cuz man oh man the action is absolutely spectacular.

I also totally geeked out at the mention of Hollow Earth theory. As a lover of the Pellucidar series, hearing about that theory again makes me want to clap my hands in glee and did a lot to elevate it from being too stupid. And yay for new monsters too! Not just rehashes of the same ones. Yeah, woulda been nice to see another Rex, but I think he's on vacation. New saurian beasts! I'm down with that.
I hope they actually expand on other hollow islands and relic species. There is a lot of potential there.

Also, am I the only one who thought that half of the shots looked like they were made as trailer fodder? Holy crap this is one of the most cinematic movies I've ever seen in my life. You just take 30 stills and you've got all you need to make your own story in your head.
Indie author, lover of history, literature and movie buff, Weird West and Paleopulp nut

Offline FierceKitty

• Mastermind
Re: Kong: Skull Island (2017) Legendary
« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2017, 02:27:17 AM »
Hey, he's approx 22 inches....

It's his wife I'm worried about....
The laws of probability do not apply to my dice in wargames or to my finesses in bridge.

Offline LeadAsbestos

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • When the Hurlyburly's Done...
« Reply #33 on: July 31, 2017, 07:53:48 PM »
I sort of see the Jackson KK as a re-imagining of the classic black and white movie. I am interested, what didn't you like exactly? It was perhaps a tad slow paced and overlong, I grant, but you must agree that the setting was much more pulp, being in the 20's  with the tramp steamer and all....the new one looks (to me, just based on the trailers) like a mash up of Jurassic Park 2, Predator and Platoon. I just can't get excited about it.

The ice skating scene in the PJ could be the worst scene in all of movie history. That alone, but Jack Black was tragically miscast and Adrian Brody as an action hero/love interest didn't quite work either. And the dinosaur stampede, and the weird natives, etc...
Loved the 30s bits and the ship and the island, but once you got to meet the characters... :?

Renting the new one tonight!

Offline Smokeyrone

• Mastermind
  • Five Rings
« Reply #34 on: July 31, 2017, 08:14:59 PM »
How did a P-51D get into a dogfight, in a hurricane, with a Zero, over an unknown Island far removed from any other land mass?   Was there a carrier version of the P-51 in WWII?

Wouldnt experienced attack chopper pilots figure out real quick, that when attacking a giant ape, the first rule is "Stay out of his reach"?

Now the realistic part.  When I won the "Monster Island" Championship at Recon (I had Godzilla, and it came down to a last battle against Kong for the championship) Kong picked up and threw 1/144 scale trees just like in the movie!

But I prevailed!  Only problem, out of like 12 players, I was the only adult!  I beat children!  :(   Poor kids (average age was like 6) were crying when I killed their Kaijus (and then stood up and danced a jig and yelled "Get up!  I gotta lot Mo' for ya!  Get up!")    Won an armful of prizes, including two big sets of Bandai kaijus (like 20 figures) which of course, I gave out to all the kids  :(   I gave away every prize.  :(

One poor kid was proud of his "Man Card" (it was a card that said man card) and when he balled after I killed Hedora, his father said to him "I'm gonna have to take your man card!"    lol
Reigning USTA Florida, and National 50+ Singles Champion  (tennis)  TWO Time Florida 50+ Singles Champion!  Just won State 2019!