Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 03:35:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690786
  • Total Topics: 118349
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Salute 2017 Tribal and/or Maximilian Game  (Read 4719 times)

Offline werekake

• Librarian
Salute 2017 Tribal and/or Maximilian Game
« on: March 29, 2017, 02:55:36 AM »
"You better send a Meat Truck. Charlie's copped a saucepan in the throat."

So, we enjoyed our time at Salute last year so much (http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=88625.0) - we're coming back to put another game on! (or two)

This time there'll be a group of us coming up from Melbourne. Lon and I, again. We'll be joined by Adam (Freelancer), our resident expert on prehistorics, and Viv (from Knights of Dice/RubbishInRubbishOut).

We're gonna do an Australian outback themed table, split down the middle with a ridgeline/cliff. This will allow us to squeeze two games on our table.

-  A Tribal-themed hunt, with primeval/Denisovan Indigenous-Australians and Asaro Mudmen (and some Savage-Core cro-magnon lurking as well).
&
-  (40,000 years later) A diesel-punk game with souped-up jalopies from Eureka and/or die-cast cars/model-kits etc.

Here's a concept sketch we did for the table a few months ago:

The idea is to make the table/terrain easy enough for us to carry all the way from oz (and spend a few days in Dubai, while we're at it). So... we'll have a Deepcut studios badlands mat as the tabletop. Then the ridgeline will be made up of a horizontal and a vertical section, both of which should fit in a suitcase easily enough. This is, of course, all still theoretical as our wiz-terrain maker is still in the middle of making it with insulation-foam...

Here's a shot of our badlands mat, anyways... which we'll probably roll up and bend into a suitcase...

Only a couple of weeks to go now, before we head off, so fingers crossed we get it all done in time! I'll keep updating this thread, making posts of stuff as we get it done - mainly to motivate our group, and to remind me what still needs to be done!  :D

If you're coming along to Salute, please come over and say gidday/kia-ora. Half the fun of the day is meeting like-minded enthusiasts and chatting. I'll try and put a Salute map up soon, to show where we are...

« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 03:11:06 AM by werekake »

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Salute 2017 Tribal and/or Maximilian Game
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2017, 10:43:19 AM »
I will make a special note to come find you and throw some dice. It's the least I can do after all that effort you have made!
I am going to build a wargames army, a big beautiful wargames army, and Mexico is going to pay for it.

2019 Painting Challenge :
figures bought: 500+
figures painted: 57
9 vehicles painted
4 terrain pieces scratchbuilt

Offline werekake

• Librarian
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2017, 09:43:24 PM »
Cheers mate,

look forward to seeing you! It'll be a quick run-thru of the games, I promise. So much to do at Salute, so little time to be playing games. ;)

So, we have the Asaro mudmen packed and ready to go. Made by Knights of Dice and painted by Scot. They'll look great on the table, I reckon.

More about them, if you're curious, here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asaro_Mudmen

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2017, 10:35:13 PM »
The mudmen are strange but cool. I look forward to seeing your Salute map, I will need it to find you.

Offline werekake

• Librarian
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2017, 06:33:23 AM »
The Salute map - we're at GC09. We're gonna be just a normal-sized 6x4 game (although gigantic games seems to be the norm at Salute).

I also have Eureka on there... mainly cos there'll be a few guys at the stall coming up from Melb who'll be checking out Salute for the first time (Jack and Wes).

Talking of Salute, there was an announcement on FB yesterday re:the DLR Custom House stop being closed this year...

"Many people may have seen that Custom House on the DLR is closed this year, and not allowing people to exit for the ExCel Exhibition Centre. There is no need to worry, the next station Prince Regent is open, and as Salute 2017 has moved right down to the east end of ExCel the show will be closer to this station.
So it will should be easier to get in to the show this year, less of a walk!!"

Offline werekake

• Librarian
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2017, 10:54:01 PM »
Denisovan tribe finished and ready to bring along. They look like these figs:

Freelancer's painted Denisovans

Viv's

---

Also will bring some of the Savage-Core cromagnon (painted by Lon)

fighting my Neanderthals

---
I still got a few things to paint, mainly some of the Forge of Ice skin tents!

Offline werekake

• Librarian
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2017, 12:10:03 AM »
Freelancer flies off to the UK tomorrow morning - so he's pretty much got his stuff painted and ready to go. We had a catchup last night before he heads off, and he showed some of the things he'll be bringing along.

His Kangaroos - grey and red (greys are typically smaller, I think)

Maximillian and his dog chase some of the kangaroos away - they're gonna be racing pretty soon, and a roo can wipe out an entire car if you're not careful and hit one going at full-tilt...

Back in time, a Denisovan hunter is ambushed by a predator!

I'll get some of the cars posted soon...

Offline Lord Blackheart

• Bookworm
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2017, 07:40:42 AM »
Is that a Marsupial Lion? Tanked up on 12year old single malt apparently! :D

Offline Freelancer

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2017, 08:57:35 AM »
Yep, Thylacoleo, the original Drop-bear. A last minute conversion of a ring toy I found in a gift shop. And yes, his ungainly pose as he leaps on the unwary hunter could be blamed on the scotch, rather than the incredible memory plastic that continued to return to its finger gripping ring shape, despite legs being cut off and re-postioned  o_o

Offline werekake

• Librarian
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2017, 01:28:12 AM »
Yup 12 yo single malt islay makes driving games that much more enjoyable - and you don't have to worry about your drink-driving limit when you're pushing 28mm scale cars around a table.  ;D

Talking of which, Lon has been working hard on getting his cars ready. They're the Eureka range, with a variety of bodies, grills, mudguards, pipes, vents and weapons to 'customise' your ride.

His favoured weapons on these cars seem to be rocket launchers and flamethrowers.

The 'green-machine' gets it's initial undercoat

More updates coming soon as Lon continues painting up the rest of his cars, and I work on some fun 'dashboards' for the game.

Offline Nic

• Librarian
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2017, 03:07:03 AM »
Love the rocket launchers!

Nic

Offline Freelancer

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2017, 08:06:41 AM »
These are looking pretty sweet!

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2017, 09:11:34 AM »
Those cars are awesome! And the neanderthals too. I look forward to seeing them all in the flesh.

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2017, 09:52:42 AM »
Wishing you guys all the best.
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Offline werekake

• Librarian
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2017, 01:57:07 AM »
Cheers Lucky. Things are getting a little bit tight for time now - we only have a week before we fly out! So many things to get done, so little time!

Latest updates... Wes has been painting the ridgeline which will serve as a natural barrier for both games on the single table. He's just trying to decide on the colours - want to get the 'feel' of Aus outback geology.

From the front:

and the sides:

The Forge of Ice tents/shelters have been done, done them up to look kinda of like an amalgamation of wattle&daub, with skins and furs:

The cars for the Maximilian game are just about done by Lon.

The Red Devil (with flamethrower on the back, and big jezzail/AT-rifle on the far side)

The Green Machine (with multi-rocket launchers and machine guns under the hood)

Just a few things left to do - and then we're good to go! Hopefully the weather's better in the UK than it is here...