Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 08:52:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Monsters Vs. Modern Military  (Read 3077 times)

Offline tomcat51

• Scientist
Monsters Vs. Modern Military
« on: March 30, 2017, 10:27:54 AM »
I'm thinking about finally getting around to a long planned project of modern military forces fighting cultists and demons/Lovecraftian horrors, kind of like BPRD: Hell on Earth. I've had a look at Fear and Faith and Pulp Alley, but I want a slightly larger game and some vehicles. Does anyone have any suggestions?
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 01:25:31 PM by tomcat51 »
"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
Re: Monsters Vs. Modern Military - What Rules?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2017, 11:11:36 AM »
You may like https://www.peginc.com/store/savage-worlds-showdown-2/ In any case its free so might be worth a look. It's a pretty easy and quick system and a bit like the ones you already mentioned, but allows for some larger groups.

As for pulp alley, I think there are options there actually, if you are willing to fiddle a bit. For instance if you field most modern soldiers using the mob rules from vice alley/pulp leagues books you can get a lot more regular soldiers on the field, and they will die quickly to enhance the horror's strenght. The gadgets book also has rules for crewed guns like HMG's which might help to enforce that sides equipment. You might even consider doing multi model bases for your leader, so that a group of 3 men on a base represents your "leader" ie command element, if you use the mastermind perk your leader is knocked down to sidekick level and you are provided more slots, which you can spend on more mobs.

All of that would give you more room to make the horrors stronger by comparison, and having more special rules. All of this is however quite a bit of work to make the rules do what you want, and you might be better of using rules that do so from the get go.
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Offline tomcat51

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2017, 12:14:24 PM »
You may like https://www.peginc.com/store/savage-worlds-showdown-2/ In any case its free so might be worth a look. It's a pretty easy and quick system and a bit like the ones you already mentioned, but allows for some larger groups.

As for pulp alley, I think there are options there actually, if you are willing to fiddle a bit. For instance if you field most modern soldiers using the mob rules from vice alley/pulp leagues books you can get a lot more regular soldiers on the field, and they will die quickly to enhance the horror's strenght. The gadgets book also has rules for crewed guns like HMG's which might help to enforce that sides equipment. You might even consider doing multi model bases for your leader, so that a group of 3 men on a base represents your "leader" ie command element, if you use the mastermind perk your leader is knocked down to sidekick level and you are provided more slots, which you can spend on more mobs.

All of that would give you more room to make the horrors stronger by comparison, and having more special rules. All of this is however quite a bit of work to make the rules do what you want, and you might be better of using rules that do so from the get go.

Cheers. I've heard of Savage World: Showdown, I'll give it a look. I've also just remembered the Achtung! Cthulhu skirmish game. Anyone had any experience of it?

Offline twrchtrwyth

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Don't join dangerous cults: practice safe sects.
    • Deeside Defenders
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2017, 02:38:31 PM »
Fear and Faith, vehicles would be large characters.

There is a Mythos version of the USE ME rules by Alternative Armies which can be mixed with the others for vehicle rules.

Chaos in Cairo and Carpathia can lift the vehicle rules from Chaos on Cronos. All three are a available as pdfs very reasonably.

In Her Majesty's Name could be easily adapted, the Gothic supplement would be most useful.
He that trades Liberty for Security will soon find that he has neither.

Benjamin Franklin

Offline tomcat51

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2017, 03:29:44 PM »
Fear and Faith, vehicles would be large characters.

There is a Mythos version of the USE ME rules by Alternative Armies which can be mixed with the others for vehicle rules.

Chaos in Cairo and Carpathia can lift the vehicle rules from Chaos on Cronos. All three are a available as pdfs very reasonably.

In Her Majesty's Name could be easily adapted, the Gothic supplement would be most useful.

Thank you, I'll check them out. I've also been thinking of using the old Rogue Trader rule set; could work.

Offline Ballardian

• Mastermind
  • Too old to stop now
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2017, 03:32:18 PM »
The Achtung Cthulhu skirmish ruleset is essentially Spartan's Dystopian Legions, (I don't know if that in itself helps) - it was adapted from it.
 It certainly covers 30+ troops per side + vehicles, albeit in a WWII setting - no big Lovecraftian gribblies though, currently it sticks with (pretty much) man-sized monsters & there's only a limited number of creature types included at the moment (Mi-Go, Nightgaunts, servitors of Nyarlathotep, very small Chtonians & some non-canon nasties).
 I've not played it much yet, but it seems decent, a little more complex than games like BA, but not hugely so.
 I imagine you could simply use the games given stats for moderns without much trouble, bu they do have a WWII flavour so modern vehicles might not feel right.

Offline tomcat51

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2017, 03:58:20 PM »
twrchtrwyth, your suggestion of the USEME rules from Alternative Armies seems promising. They have a modern warfare rule set and an Eldritch horror one. Cheers!

Offline Agis

• villainous mastermind
  • Galactic Brain
    • A.D.Publishing
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2017, 04:29:04 PM »
If you want generic modern Platoon level skirmish with some vehicles vs Monsters you can also use my Victory Decision Future Combat book (http://www.adpublishing.de/html/future_combat_vide.html) together with the Rival Species book (http://www.adpublishing.de/html/fuco_rival_species.html) for the monsters.

See here for example units: http://www.adpublishing.de/html/fuco_design_notes.html
cheers and keep on gaming, Agis - https://www.adpublishing.de

Offline twrchtrwyth

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Deeside Defenders
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2017, 05:16:26 PM »
twrchtrwyth, your suggestion of the USEME rules from Alternative Armies seems promising. They have a modern warfare rule set and an Eldritch horror one. Cheers!
And cheaper than any other rules mentioned here so if they don't quite work for you it doesn't feel so bad.  ;)

Offline d phipps

• Galactic Brain
  • Pulp Alley
    • Pulp Alley
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2017, 10:13:52 PM »
I'm thinking about finally getting around to a long planned project of modern military forces fighting cultists and demons/Lovecraftian horrors, kind of like BPRD: Hell on Earth. I've had a look at Fear and Faith and Pulp Alley, but I want a slightly larger game and some vehicles. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Oh yes, Pulp Alley covers this easily. I'd definitely recommend the Horror Deck as well. Lovercraft style horror was a big influenece on how the Pulp Alley Horror Deck is designed to work. I think you'll really like it.

If you haven't already, you can download a Quick Start version of Pulp Alley for free some the store ---  https://store.pulpalley.com/

HAVE FUN

Offline tomcat51

• Scientist
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2017, 11:22:13 AM »
Thanks for all the suggestions, the Use Me rules seem to be exactly what I'm looking for and I've bought the Modern War and Eldritch Horror rules. Now to get some figure painted.

Offline tomcat51

• Scientist
Re: Monsters Vs. Modern Military
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2017, 01:30:40 PM »
So, I have my rules, I had some monsters, I have a platoons worth of British Army infantry and an IFV for support, plus some psychic investigators to deal with the monsters, now I just need some suitably equipped cultists. These are a kitbash of Warlord games British Army, Frostgrave Cultists and Wargames Factory Apocalypse Survivors. Hopefully get one of them painted up tonight. I'm going to go for a yellow and green colour scheme like Hydra, but a bit more subtle so it will still work as camo.

Offline tomcat51

• Scientist
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2017, 01:31:52 PM »
Another squad of nefarious cultists.

Offline twrchtrwyth

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Deeside Defenders
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2017, 05:49:13 PM »
They seem to work together really well.

Offline Smokeyrone

• Mastermind
  • Five Rings
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2017, 04:59:06 AM »
I like it!
Reigning USTA Florida, and National 50+ Singles Champion  (tennis)  TWO Time Florida 50+ Singles Champion!  Just won State 2019!