Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 01:21:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689605
  • Total Topics: 118286
  • Online Today: 662
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: All Things Zombie Rules?  (Read 6292 times)

Offline mahon

• Bookworm
    • Chest Of Colors: All About Miniature Painting
Re: All Things Zombie Rules?
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2009, 10:56:03 PM »
the early ones are really difficult to get through and understand.
the latest ones are much better, and CR3.0 is a big step forward (and free!) quality- and clarity-wise.

even the QRSes are much better, allowing to play almost without the book...
Mahon
Chest of Colors: All About Miniature Painting

Offline Wolf 359

• Scientist
    • WhatThe?!Miniatures
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2009, 04:20:38 AM »

I've had too much caffeine.... 

;) :)

Nice to see someone that is so enthusiastic about a set of rules.

Generally i switch off as soon as i find a set of rules that needs someone to explain them - gaming for me is about having fun, and about choosing the right tactics, and a lot of rules (often ironically in the name of "increased accuracy") seem to get in the way of one or both of these goals.

Each to their own though.

Have to say I am with Akula, I want to like the rules but struggle with them each time I have played incl ATZ, CR2 and FNG

I didn't say a friggin' thing about caffeine in my post, so who's misquoting me...?!  :o
  Lowtardog, didn't you have problems interpreting Josh's Quar rules at first...!!! Now that's another rule set I'm passionate about, as you already know.  :D
  You guys may also want a peek at the Dead Walk Again rules for zombies. A nice set, with some great contributing members.
  And Mahon, I thought you'd back me up!!!! It's YOU - among a couple others - I was referring to concerning Yahoo group members helping out other THW gamers with rule questions!
  Okay, as far as rules go in general, I don't think any rule set comes easy after the first or second reading. I, myself, just didn't find them all that ambiguous.
  And now I've had too much caffeine...... just polished off another Monster energy drink.... you can quote me on that.... o_o

One miniature is too many, and a thousand are not enough...

Offline Rich J

• Scientist
    • My Blog
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2009, 07:39:55 AM »
The first game or two will be a learning curve ... after that it is plain sailing. I played in a big participation game the other week at a show (convention) and all six players were basically playing the game without any sheet what so ever after the first move or two. Although the reaction tests (or one table in the new layout) looks as if it means it is going to be difficult to play one will find you don't need most of them in the course of a game and the ones you do are all intuitive once you start playing - pass 2 = GOOD pass 1 = 'IFFY' and Pass 0= BAD !

Get CR3 and have a play ... be warned though as light hearted as they seem they do give results that make sense (which is probably why there are a lot of people on the yahoo group who play a lot who were/are in the forces) and don't suffer stupid tactics kindly. Run out trying to charge someone armed with an SMG and you are not going to get there. We have been playing another set of rules a lot and when we went back to play CR3 (which has some subtle changes) the other day all of my little group took one very quick game to remember where projectile weapons are concerned cover is your friend ... where the other set meant one was fairly safe (unless the opponenent had set up overwatch) to run and and blast then run in CR3 was a different kettle of fish.

Also ATZ is the only zombie game I have played where I have actually been getting increasingly paranoid as the game goes on :-)

The yahoo group is your friend ... unless you have a limit on mail amounts - it generates a lot of chat - mainly from Mahon, myself and a few others maybe BUT a lot :-)

Rich
Rich J

Offline Dan

• Mastermind
    • Wades World of Wargaming
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2009, 08:18:21 AM »
I think the problem I'm going to run into is that I may understand the rules eventually  ::) but trying to organise a pickup game or for a Demo I'm going to be stuck running the game rather than playing it  :-[
It would be great running a campaign but I'm not sure others will want to buy the book as it seems to be out of date already (I've only had mine for a week).
Instead I've been looking at stealing some ideas to use with our WW2 Necromunda variant.

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2009, 08:45:03 AM »

Lowtardog, didn't you have problems interpreting Josh's Quar rules at first...!!! Now that's another rule set I'm passionate about, as you already know.  :D

In a way as it was a new concept but one that can be picked up easily as it is quite easy to read through vs THW IMHO

You guys may also want a peek at the Dead Walk Again rules for zombies. A nice set, with some great contributing members.

Now this is my zombie rule set of choice nice and easy I have had up to 6 people playing it without need of help in their first game and myself as the zombies, lots of scope for developing it too

I do play the THW rules so its not that I have thrown the baby away with the bath water but they wouldnt be my own first choice

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2009, 08:45:29 AM »

I've had too much caffeine.... 

;) :)

Nice to see someone that is so enthusiastic about a set of rules.

Generally i switch off as soon as i find a set of rules that needs someone to explain them - gaming for me is about having fun, and about choosing the right tactics, and a lot of rules (often ironically in the name of "increased accuracy") seem to get in the way of one or both of these goals.

Each to their own though.

Have to say I am with Akula, I want to like the rules but struggle with them each time I have played incl ATZ, CR2 and FNG

I didn't say a friggin' thing about caffeine in my post, so who's misquoting me...?!  :o
  And Mahon, I thought you'd back me up!!!! It's YOU - among a couple others - I was referring to concerning Yahoo group members helping out other THW gamers with rule questions!
  Okay, as far as rules go in general, I don't think any rule set comes easy after the first or second reading. I, myself, just didn't find them all that ambiguous.
  And now I've had too much caffeine...... just polished off another Monster energy drink.... you can quote me on that.... o_o

Ok maybe it's the RED BOLD TEXT that makes you appear a little 'shouty' there mate.

shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!  :D
Now water can flow....or water can crash...be water my friend.
Sifu Bruce Lee.

Offline mahon

• Bookworm
    • Chest Of Colors: All About Miniature Painting
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2009, 11:18:20 AM »

Well, I didn't do it because I am as biased as it gets. Why?

- THW games are my favorites. I like the cinematic feel of gameplay: fast, dramatic, with turns of action.
- THW games present excellent balance of enjoyable gameplay, speed, and realism to me.
- I compare most games to THW and the only ones which still keep me interested are Rattrap stuff, the Song of (...) series, and Blitzkrieg/ColdWar/FutureWar Commander.

Older THW games are poorly organized, difficult to understand...
this is balanced (IMHO) by great playability - but only when you manage to learn them. Many lose interest before they learn the games. Not surprising for me. Fortunately I managed to get past this step.

Fortunately the new games are much better - Warrior Heroes: Armies and Adventures, Colonial Adventures, Larger Than Life, Chain Reaction 3.0 are much clearer, better edited, and better worded. 5150 is pretty good too.

Why many people complain is because the books are so full of contents and so different from other games. Putting so much stuff in the books reduced the number of explanations and examples, making the games more difficult to read and learn.
The later releases are much better and I've even seen pictures, photos, and diagrams in some of them!

I think CR3.0 set the new standard for THW again. It's not as content-packed as before, but much clearer and easier to understand. For an experienced THW-gamer it doesn't really matter, but for a newcomer it's a big difference.
The rules also work much smoother and are more intuitive than before.

So my recommendation would be to use CR3.0 as the 'engine' for your modern gaming, and if you want to add zombies with all the props and background stuff - All Things Zombie has it. Including a cool campaign system.

For me ATZ is slowly showing its age. I love the game, and will continue to play it, but with much taken from CR3.0 which is a big improvement. That's no problem as it's a free game. ATZ is still well worth its price for all the information it includes and setting-specific rules. I believe that ATZ2 which is being prepared will include the new approach from CR3.0 and apply it to ATZ. So it will be both better written, better explained, not as crammed as ATZ1, and will include all the improved rules.

But until then I will keep using ATZ. You know, I mix and match the THW games I have, so it doesn't really matter to me....

And I think that's why I didn't want to step in any earlier... :neutral:

Offline Wolf 359

• Scientist
    • WhatThe?!Miniatures
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2009, 08:42:37 PM »

Never get rid of the maroon, my friend. What good is having the option for color if it's never used? And no shouting, either - it'd be in caps. And since I don't ever get angry at people in forums, you'll never see the caps.

Offline Wolf 359

• Scientist
    • WhatThe?!Miniatures
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2009, 08:46:56 PM »
I think the problem I'm going to run into is that I may understand the rules eventually  ::) but trying to organise a pickup game or for a Demo I'm going to be stuck running the game rather than playing it  :-[
It would be great running a campaign but I'm not sure others will want to buy the book as it seems to be out of date already (I've only had mine for a week).
Instead I've been looking at stealing some ideas to use with our WW2 Necromunda variant.

That's the problem with a lot of the newer sets. They do seem to subscribe to the belief that they need to be different, thus taking more time to learn. For some, you'd have to play it day-in, day-out to just become comfortable with the mechanics, mush less try to teach the game to someone who's never used them before.

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2009, 10:23:52 PM »

That's the problem with a lot of the newer sets. They do seem to subscribe to the belief that they need to be different, thus taking more time to learn. For some, you'd have to play it day-in, day-out to just become comfortable with the mechanics, mush less try to teach the game to someone who's never used them before.

Blue now eh? Much calmer!  :D
« Last Edit: March 09, 2009, 10:33:17 PM by Commander Vyper »

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2009, 10:24:59 PM »
yeah, the blue makes Wolf look a bit more chilled out....

;)

Offline Wolf 359

• Scientist
    • WhatThe?!Miniatures
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2009, 10:34:14 PM »

Blue it is, then...! It is rather soothing.....

Offline Mr. Peabody

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Canuck Amok
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2009, 01:26:57 AM »
yeah, the blue makes Wolf look a bit more chilled out....

;)

Now that you mention it..... ;)
Television is rather a frightening business. But I get all the relaxation I want from my collection of model soldiers. P. Cushing
Peabody Here!