Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:14:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686594
  • Total Topics: 118109
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Sword & Spear Fantasy  (Read 7265 times)

Online Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
Re: Sword & Spear Fantasy
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2017, 01:25:48 PM »
With 6cm frontage, 1 DU would be 3cm and bow range is 4 DU so that would be 12cm.

Monsters (where one base represents a single huge creature, rather than a unit of combatants) are on smaller bases, half the frontage of a unit, so your HOTT basing would work just fine.

Aha! That's perfect, then, on both counts. I have quite a few smaller "large" creatures on 30mm bases, so I can cover both scales nicely. That should give a lot of scope for both vast, heavily abstracted battles and somewhat more intimate and visually spectacular affairs with blocks of 12 or more troops. I might think about some 12cm movement trays for round-based figures too ...

Thanks again. I've just put in an order (and for some garish blue and orange dice).

Offline Sunjester

• Mastermind
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2017, 07:37:25 AM »
Do these have the same mechanisms as the historical set, or are there subtle differences?

We play quite a lot of Lion Rampant/Dragon Rampant/The Men Who Would Be Kings/The Pikemen's Lament at our club and although they share many mechanisms there are some differences between the rules which sometimes causes confusion (I put it down to memory loss). I'd rather not have the same situation with mass battles as well as skirmishes.

Offline Eoghan

• Schoolboy
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2017, 03:56:51 PM »
Excellent news. Order placed, I've been looking forward to these.  :)

Offline Polkovnik

• Librarian
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2017, 02:32:07 PM »
Do these have the same mechanisms as the historical set, or are there subtle differences?

There are no changes to the rules mechanisms in the historical set, only additions to cater for fantasy elements (new troop types, magic, undead, new abilities). You could buy the fantasy rules and use them to play a historical game against a player using the historic rules.

Offline monkeylite

• Scientist
    • Moedlhafen
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2017, 03:19:58 PM »
I'm just about to base my trolls. If my regular infantry are on 11cm*7cm bases, with a DU of 55mm, and I were to base two trolls on a 11cm*7cm base, will I get really annoyed when my rules arrive?

Offline Polkovnik

• Librarian
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2017, 09:48:04 AM »
I'm just about to base my trolls. If my regular infantry are on 11cm*7cm bases, with a DU of 55mm, and I were to base two trolls on a 11cm*7cm base, will I get really annoyed when my rules arrive?

No, that would be fine. I would classify trolls as heavy foot, probably with the following characteristics: armoured, powerful attack, undrilled, regenerate (the latter for D&D style trolls rather than LOTR style).

Offline monkeylite

• Scientist
    • Moedlhafen
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2017, 11:11:57 AM »
No, that would be fine. I would classify trolls as heavy foot, probably with the following characteristics: armoured, powerful attack, undrilled, regenerate (the latter for D&D style trolls rather than LOTR style).

Excellent, thanks.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2017, 11:17:27 AM by monkeylite »

Offline Polkovnik

• Librarian
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2017, 08:06:43 PM »
I've started to create a series of videos explaining how to play Sword & Spear. There will be about 9 or 10 videos covering the different aspects of the rules (which will all be relevant for both the ancient and medieval rules as well as Sword & Spear Fantasy), and then there will be a few extra videos just relating to Sword & Spear Fantasy. They will each be around 10 to 15 minutes long.
I've completed the first four videos and I'll get the fifth uploaded tomorrow. The others will hopefully follow over the next couple of weeks.
The first four parts of the Sword & Spear Video Guide are:
Part 1: Introduction https://youtu.be/50DU7lylob0
Part 2: Set-up and Deployment https://youtu.be/jo8rlQIW3Is
Part 3: How to Play the Game https://youtu.be/YMmddE7cLIY
Part 4: Movement https://youtu.be/zCvWmZZ9psE

If you are going to watch the videos to find out more about Sword & Spear (rather than using them to learn how to play) I recommend watching Parts 1 and 3.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2017, 09:57:45 PM by Polkovnik »

Online Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2017, 11:26:23 PM »
I enjoyed watching those. It looks a very interesting game, and I keenly await the arrival of the rules.

A thought struck me: in 28mm, using block of 4 HOTT elements, would you be able to record damage/morale by simply turning an element to face backwards to indicate each point of loss?

Offline Polkovnik

• Librarian
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2017, 08:01:09 PM »
A thought struck me: in 28mm, using block of 4 HOTT elements, would you be able to record damage/morale by simply turning an element to face backwards to indicate each point of loss?

I suppose you could, as long as you remember which way the unit is actually facing. It might start to look a little strange when a heavy foot unit has taken three hits and most of its bases are facing the wrong way.
And it wouldn't work for some units such as artillery or large beasts where you would probably only use 2 HOTT elements to represent the unit.

Online Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2017, 08:27:56 PM »
Thanks! Good to know it could work. We use a "facing the wrong way" principle for battered units in Dragon Rampant, and it works pretty well. If I'm using four bases as one unit, I'll probably have a standard bearer on one, which can serve as the direction marker (i.e. that one faces the wrong way to the end).

I gather the rules are in the post at the moment, so I look forward to giving it a go over the weekend.

Offline squeaky

• Assistant
« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2017, 07:28:59 PM »
You've not addressed the most important question Polkovnik...

How do I classify my 18 Zoats?

They're big, like ogres..but centaur like..and highly intelligent...and they use magic..

easy one for you ;-)

Offline mellis1644

• Mad Scientist
    • Adventures in painting
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2017, 06:04:26 PM »
So are they available in PDF like the ancients version was?
My painting blog is at: http://mellis1644.wordpress.com/

Offline Polkovnik

• Librarian
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2017, 07:48:01 PM »
So are they available in PDF like the ancients version was?

No, they won't be initially available as a pdf.

Offline mellis1644

• Mad Scientist
    • Adventures in painting
« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2017, 07:57:55 PM »
No, they won't be initially available as a pdf.

That's sad news. Oh well.