Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:51:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: [15mm] Ockman's Sci-fi, update 240203: Why 15mm gaming is best  (Read 140685 times)

Offline number1section1

• Bookworm
Re: [15mm] Ockman's Sci-fi, update 180731: NeoDyne Security
« Reply #225 on: August 01, 2018, 07:06:28 AM »
Great looking minis as always, really impressed with the terrain!

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #226 on: August 01, 2018, 07:42:16 AM »
Tis a cool collection of minis and terrain :D
My current project...Classic Wargame - An experiment in 24" of wargaming!

https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=140633.new#new

Offline Ockman

• Mastermind
« Reply #227 on: August 01, 2018, 11:04:13 AM »
Cool miniatures and great paint choices.  Might I also say that the background terrain is fun to look at!
Great looking minis as always, really impressed with the terrain!
Tis a cool collection of minis and terrain :D

Hey, thanks friends! It makes me happy that you like my minis and terrain!

Building terrain is one of my favorite things with the hobby, but I have always wanted to paint minis as well. I find terrain still easier, but I think I'm starting to get a hang on how to paint miniatures as well!

Offline Jagannath

• Mastermind
    • Blades and Blasters
« Reply #228 on: August 02, 2018, 04:24:54 PM »
Hey mate, haven't dropped in for a while - there's been some lovely updates!

Those grey buildings look smashing - I've got a load of those GZG bits to add to some Crom's Anvil desert buildings, but 15mm's taking a bit of a back seat at the mo! This thread is a beut.

Offline Scarper

• Scientist
« Reply #229 on: August 02, 2018, 09:52:54 PM »
Huge fan of your backstories and world-building - thanks for sharing them! The NeoDyne guys are ace - the red masks and highlights really make them pop. I keep forgetting that your stuff is a smaller scale, the paintjobs would be excellent even on 28mm  :D

Offline Ockman

• Mastermind
« Reply #230 on: August 03, 2018, 06:03:21 PM »
Hey mate, haven't dropped in for a while - there's been some lovely updates!

Those grey buildings look smashing - I've got a load of those GZG bits to add to some Crom's Anvil desert buildings, but 15mm's taking a bit of a back seat at the mo! This thread is a beut.

Thanks, Rory! Nice to see you back again, your presence has been missed!

I do like your 28mm endeavours, although I wait for your return to the true scale  ;)

Huge fan of your backstories and world-building - thanks for sharing them! The NeoDyne guys are ace - the red masks and highlights really make them pop. I keep forgetting that your stuff is a smaller scale, the paintjobs would be excellent even on 28mm  :D

Hey, thanks Scarper!

Lovely to hear that you appreciate my stories, it's one of the things I loved the most with old RPGs and magazines like White Dwarf: small stories hinting about a larger universe.

Offline Dr DeAth

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Little Lead Men
« Reply #231 on: August 03, 2018, 06:40:55 PM »
superb little outpost setup you've got there
Photos of my recent efforts are at www.littleleadmen.com and https://beaverlickfalls.blogspot.com

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Ghazkull‘s Favorite Brainboy
« Reply #232 on: August 03, 2018, 06:55:01 PM »
The new pictures are brilliant...inspirational...awesome ...and all very well constructed. I really enjoy the diligence you must use to arrange minis and scenery in such a nice way.

Offline Ockman

• Mastermind
« Reply #233 on: August 04, 2018, 06:22:46 PM »
superb little outpost setup you've got there

Thanks Dr De'Ath, I'm mighty happy with the effort!
The new pictures are brilliant...inspirational...awesome ...and all very well constructed. I really enjoy the diligence you must use to arrange minis and scenery in such a nice way.

Thanks Florian, you know comments like yours make me want to build, paint and photograph even more. It makes me feel like my efforts are worth something to more people than just myself.

I've been sketching what to do next, although I've got four bases of buildings ready to paint, so perhaps I should finish the old stuff before I start with the next things (the next things being a NeoDyne Security building, a black tower with a landing pad and evil presence, or a block of buildings with an entrance to an underground complex in the backyard...)

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #234 on: August 04, 2018, 07:08:45 PM »
Thanks Dr De'Ath, I'm mighty happy with the effort!
Thanks Florian, you know comments like yours make me want to build, paint and photograph even more. It makes me feel like my efforts are worth something to more people than just myself.

I've been sketching what to do next, although I've got four bases of buildings ready to paint, so perhaps I should finish the old stuff before I start with the next things (the next things being a NeoDyne Security building, a black tower with a landing pad and evil presence, or a block of buildings with an entrance to an underground complex in the backyard...)

I really admire you for having the discipline to continually work on these projects. I had a long break just now...being in the field and trying to work on a book, plus still on the move between flats...and usually after such breaks my mojo is gone and I continue something else. Right now I’m itching to do some Oldhammer and/or 15mm Rogue Trader again.

So please do. The Neodyne Security Tower sounds brilliant. Already the name conjures up pictures from Syndicate and Blade Runner. I’m excited how you will do that.

Offline Ockman

• Mastermind
« Reply #235 on: August 04, 2018, 10:12:18 PM »
I really admire you for having the discipline to continually work on these projects. I had a long break just now...being in the field and trying to work on a book, plus still on the move between flats...and usually after such breaks my mojo is gone and I continue something else. Right now I’m itching to do some Oldhammer and/or 15mm Rogue Trader again.

So please do. The Neodyne Security Tower sounds brilliant. Already the name conjures up pictures from Syndicate and Blade Runner. I’m excited how you will do that.

I think having limited hobby time makes it easier for me to stay focused. If I don't have time for my main project, then I definitely don't have time for any side projects. Having two kids and renovating my house keeps me focused ;)

Still, I tend to lose focus within my project. I've built some new city terrain, but I can't bother to paint and base them, so instead I paint my outpost terrain (which has been lying around built, but not painted, for more than a year). Then I remember that I need more potential enemies for my RPG, so I finish my NeoDyne Security officers, which I started batch painting over three years ago.

I want to have a crew to be able to play campaign games, but I find it hard to sit down and paint minis I care about. At the same time I actually have a finished crew, painted and everything, with full back stories, but that I don't care about anymore (although I might reuse some characters).

I might be able to continually work on my 15mm sci-fi project, but I'm still all over the place...

Offline Torben

• Scientist
  • Scatterbrained Wargamer!
« Reply #236 on: August 06, 2018, 03:35:42 AM »
Wonderful miniatures and terrain! This post is quite the inspiration for getting back to my own 15mm efforts!

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #237 on: August 06, 2018, 04:42:25 AM »
I think having limited hobby time makes it easier for me to stay focused. If I don't have time for my main project, then I definitely don't have time for any side projects. Having two kids and renovating my house keeps me focused ;)

Well, then there is still hope for me. My time is more and more limited - and it DOES result in a focussing on fewer projects.

Still, I tend to lose focus within my project. I've built some new city terrain, but I can't bother to paint and base them, so instead I paint my outpost terrain (which has been lying around built, but not painted, for more than a year). Then I remember that I need more potential enemies for my RPG, so I finish my NeoDyne Security officers, which I started batch painting over three years ago.

I want to have a crew to be able to play campaign games, but I find it hard to sit down and paint minis I care about. At the same time I actually have a finished crew, painted and everything, with full back stories, but that I don't care about anymore (although I might reuse some characters).

So true. And since there are endless possibilites, it's the easiest way (and let's face it most fun way, too= to extend the project and lead it into originally unintended and unaticipated directions.

I might be able to continually work on my 15mm sci-fi project, but I'm still all over the place...
So to sum things up: The more things change, the more they stay the same? :)
Anyway, I enjoy reading your posts and I also still enjoy erratically painting a few models of my leadpile. It's the way of the hobby to be never really finished.

Offline Ockman

• Mastermind
« Reply #238 on: August 06, 2018, 06:02:48 PM »
Wonderful miniatures and terrain! This post is quite the inspiration for getting back to my own 15mm efforts!

Thanks Torben, glad to be inspiring you!

So to sum things up: The more things change, the more they stay the same? :)
Anyway, I enjoy reading your posts and I also still enjoy erratically painting a few models of my leadpile. It's the way of the hobby to be never really finished.

Well, one thing that keeps me on track is having clear goals, or at least a "valued direction" (as it's called in ACT).

I know what I want (built and painted terrain and miniatures that will enable me to play a narrative campaign with variation in setting, NPCs and enemies). As long as I can answer "yes" on the question "does this project lie in my valued direction, does it take me closer to my goals?" I think that I can do it in good conscience.

Also, doing most solo stuff without friends who play, I don't have any distractions. If everyone else were doing Kill Team, I might as well...

Offline War Monkey

• Mastermind
    • Silo1313
« Reply #239 on: August 07, 2018, 11:16:19 PM »
Wow! some really great stuff on this thread. Inspiring me to build a city board and a colony outpost as well.
Just remember "If the Enemy is in range, so are YOU!

http://silo1313.blogspot.com/